Anyone Actually Cut up a Sailboat for Disposal?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Try calling local trash people to see if there is a yard that will take it whole. In CT there are disposal yards where you bring a boat in on a trailer, they pick it off the trailer with a huge excavator and chew it up. There is a fee but there will be a disposal fee even if you cut it up yourself. Sawing it up and loading the pieces in a trailer or dumpster is a lot of work.
Indeed, if you have a way to get it to the dump, a loader with a closing bucket will make short work of it.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
We found a skid steer to volunteer. We may raffle of chances to operate it for 20 minutes at a time crunching the boat at the bar on Friday evening. Kinda like the big boy version of putting quarters in the claw machine.
Maybe throw it with a trebuchet for charity (the poor owner)

-Will (Dragonfly)

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Our youth sailing program may be disposing of a boat to make way for a donation to our program.
Cutting the old boat up with a sawz-all or a chain saw seems straight forward enough but sounds itchy to me.
Interested in hearing from anyone who has actually done it and what hints they might have.
Aw, sell it on Craig's list or eBay.
If people are spending thousands of dollars on a piece of toast burned with the shape of Jesus on it, SOMEBODY will buy that boat and get rid of it for you! And maybe give your charity a buck to boot!

Sep 11, 2013
Catalina 25 6106 Lake Erie Metro Park
All kidding aside....do it in the rain. My son and I cut up an 18 foot power boat with a chain saw and a sabre saw in a steady rain...wasn't that bad. Bit by bit it went out in the trash.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Sad thing, cutting up a boat....Hollywood had a more better allusion (or is an illusion) :^)))

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Decades ago I read in a home magazine about a guy who wanted just a small stand of bamboo. However, bamboo grows wild and rampant as far as the roots can grow. The suggestion was to get a bathtub, bolt some washers over the drains then bury the tub and plant bamboo- or whatever- therin. Seems to me boats would make nice flower beds by either burying the entire boat short of the toe rail, or cut away the hull and save maybe a foot of the hull and the gunnel to frame a flower bed.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2015
Unknown snipe delaware bay
DSCN0533.JPG
In my pursuit of a good snipe, I acquired 2 bad hulls and 3 bad trailers. the trailers and hulls were cut up with a sawz all after stripping the hardware. I saved the stern of the best one for the boat shed bar.
Eric