Anyone Actually Cut up a Sailboat for Disposal?

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Our youth sailing program may be disposing of a boat to make way for a donation to our program.
Cutting the old boat up with a sawz-all or a chain saw seems straight forward enough but sounds itchy to me.
Interested in hearing from anyone who has actually done it and what hints they might have.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I did it to my old hobie 18 with a chainsaw. Cut the metal cross frame out and the hull into 6 pieces, 3 sections each. Hull to the dump, metal sold as scrap.
The experience wasn't that bad, but then I use to work construction and the worst job in the world is pink glass insulation. This was nothing like that. Wear a dust mask, that's essential. Long sleave and goggles would help, although I didn't.

-Will (Dragonfly)

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
I know someone who parted out and then cut up a 28 - 30 footer with a Saws-All putting the remains in a dumpster(s). Have lots of blades.
And friends. And........:beer::beer::beer:.

Feb 1, 2013
Pearson Wanderer Chesapeake
The marina where I keep my boat busts them up with a backhoe and crams them into a rented dumpster. Then off to the landfill.

Feb 8, 2017
MacGregor MacGregor 25 Middle River
Last season, there were a couple of guys who were tasked with cutting up 2 very sad neglected and abandoned boats in my marina. They were able to re-purpose a bunch of stuff, but the boats were cut up using sawzalls and chain saws - not an easy gig, for sure, but it got the job done. They were pretty sore after...

Feb 8, 2017
MacGregor MacGregor 25 Middle River
Another possible alternative might be donating to an organization like Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum in St. Michaels, MD. A couple of years ago, I had to clean out my parents river cottage in preparation to sell and was having heartburn about sending the 2 old boats to the landfill - an O'Day mariner and a 16" runabout with 40hp motor, both boats which I had cut my boating "teeth" on. None of the "normal" donation places would even talk to me once they found out how old the boats were, but thanks to a conversation I had with a BoatUS fundraiser, I called Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum who sent 2 crews, who took both, fixed them up and sold them. They have a definite advantage over the other donation places because they can rely on a deep and very talented volunteer staff to refurbish and do most of what they need, rather than the other folks who just use a 3rd party reseller. I just hate to hear about having to cut up a boat and send it to the landfill. My 2 cents for tonight...
Arrrrr...

Jan 15, 2012
Ericson 28/2 Port Kent
I cut up an 81' Ericson 28+ with a Sawsall and angle grinder. It was on a trailer. After stripping it of anything worth reusing or selling I secured the keel and cut it up in 3ft. sections from bow to stern. Exposed the engine and had a friend with a backhoe help me hoist that out. Loaded everything on a work trailer an off to the landfill it went. I knew the manager of the landfill and my fee was at a commercial rate. The, all lead, keel went to recycling. Took me two long days.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I called Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum who sent 2 crews, who took both, fixed them up and sold them. They have a definite advantage over the other donation places because they can rely on a deep and very talented volunteer staff to refurbish and do most of what they need, rather than the other folks who just use a 3rd party reseller.
Wow, that glad that worked out for you, but seems like a great way to burn thru volunteer goodwill. Their labor ends up getting sold for pennies on the dollar. I'd rather give money then spend hours helping fixing up some old POS that going to get sold for cheap. Just my opinion, but not all old boats need or deserve to get 'saved'.

Dec 23, 2016
Catalina 27 Clinton CT
Don't know what kind of boat, but the marina I worked for made sure we cut the keel with a sazall to take to the scrap yard. $$$$$

Jun 2, 2004
The boat to be disposed of is a 25' Ericson
if there is anything that someone needs from one get with me quick.

We found a skid steer we can use and will likely go that way over a Sawzall or chain saw though likely we will end up doing all three.

Last edited:

Harlan

Jun 4, 2004
Oday 34 Niantic
Try calling local trash people to see if there is a yard that will take it whole. In CT there are disposal yards where you bring a boat in on a trailer, they pick it off the trailer with a huge excavator and chew it up. There is a fee but there will be a disposal fee even if you cut it up yourself. Sawing it up and loading the pieces in a trailer or dumpster is a lot of work.

Apr 26, 2018
Catalina Catalina 30 Bayview
Sadly, I have done 3 boats with electric chain saw and sawsall, they were small, took to local landfill in truck as household trash.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
I've seen several 420's and other such school boats turned into weather vanes. Ground level not roof top...

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Rick
Whatever you do wear protective gear as fine shards of microscopic fiberglass are not good for health but make sure wear a face mask, gloves, white throw away suits and cover from inhaling too.

Jun 2, 2004
I’d buy the bow cap off of it if you still had it.
Not sure what the bow cap is.

The boat seems to be complete just old neglected and a bent mast. If we cut it up we'll cut it off and work a deal.

Hell, you can have the whole boat just come and fetch it. I'll even buy the dinner and the beer.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2004
Rick
Whatever you do wear protective gear as fine shards of microscopic fiberglass are not good for health but make sure wear a face mask, gloves, white throw away suits and cover from inhaling too.
Absolutely, already planned on that. I'm hoping to just crunch it up and put it in a rented dumpster and say goodbye.