Spring....?

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Spring is coming, maybe.....? While we’ve lost a couple of feet of snow, due to settling, a bit of March rain and some 40F days, our base up here is solid. We’ve had snow on the ground since before Thanksgiving and still have about a 3.5’ to 6’ base, elevation dependent, and it is very solid.. While letting the dogs out this morning I snapped this shot of the bunkhouse. Really wish I had one without snow for perspective as this is a great situation for spring skiing and extending the snowmobile season.

On the menu for today..

Maine style breakfast in the cast iron skillet
Enjoy my coffee
Hit some killer spring glades skiing (4” of fresh snow last night)
Hop on the snow machines and ride up towards Errol, NH with the kids
Stop at the Matterhorn ski bar on the way back for some wood oven pizza
Get the outdoor fire and cocktails going, with friends, and enjoy a·près-ski

Think about the boat..... Not quite yet...

How was your winter? Is it over?

674C75A2-BD9C-4790-B1E9-F4E2CBF1D18F.jpeg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
3" of snow last night here in Syracuse. High temps forecast for the next 10 range from 34° to 62°.

syr forecase.png

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Spring has definitely arrived down South. 46 this am with predicted high of 72. This has been the first week that we’ve had decent weather; winter was miserable with cold temps, fog, record rainfall. Grass & weeds are now growing; got to get the yard in shape before it gets too hot. The boat is in good condition with new bottom paint and a nice shine. Have to do some bright work and cleaning. Plan for the first sail tomorrow; forecast is mid 70’s with SE winds at 10. It’s been way too long.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Not too spring like here. Dusting of snow last night. Howling wind. Yesterday was cold, windy and wet. I'd rather have the snow. This pm and tomorrow we may see some mildness but ....

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
In the land of sunshine and warm weather, Spring marks the beginning of the end of southern and Caribbean sailing season. It’s now the beginning of cocktail season and sunset cruising.

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
This week the temps reached 79 for a couple days. More summer like than spring. You guys on the east coast stole our winter but that's fine.

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
We'll be happy to send it back. Do you accept returns?
Lol, yes of course we do. We are very politically correct out here. Never refuse any request. That would be way to stressful. But you'll have to take it up with those in control of the climate in the other Washington.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I thought MaineSail lived near the Maine coast. Then I looked up the location of his shop and yes he does.
Then I looked for a webcam and :wow3:there is traces of snow but grass is showing up. Confusion...
Then I looked closely at the avatar statement "Casco, ME". Where is that? Well up in the mountains where the snow is 6 feet deep and spring is a while away... Now all this is making sense. He works and lives near the coast and plays and relaxes in the mountain retreat of the family.
Nice...

3E618CC1-F04E-48E8-B3FA-0DB0ABDA072E.jpeg

Popham Beach Weather.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I thought MaineSail lived near the Maine coast. Then I looked up the location of his shop and yes he does.
Then I looked for a webcam and :wow3:there is traces of snow but grass is showing up. Confusion...
Then I looked closely at the avatar statement "Casco, ME". Where is that? Well up in the mountains where the snow is 6 feet deep and spring is a while away... Now all this is making sense. He works and lives near the coast and plays and relaxes in the mountain retreat of the family.
Nice...
Not at our house, we are at our camp. Closer to Bethel, ME...

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I like your Camp. It gives you a great break from the mayhem coming called “Boating Season”.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
In the Chicago area, spring is close! 50 degrees F today.

Our local boat yard (Crowley’s) puts on a spring sale, classes, etc. to get boaters in the mood for spring. I usually get my VC17, anodes, etc. at the sale. Today was the day...went to a boat electrical seminar they put on (not that informative unfortunately. I learn more here.

But when I got home, I washed the Roadster and took her for a drive...but didn’t drop the top today....still a bit chilly at 50 MPH.

IMG_1131.JPG
(Photo is not from today...grass is not green yet)

But hey, the marina opens April 1, Tally Ho should be splashed soon!

Greg

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Getting ready for second cruise of 2019. The first “Extreme Winter Cruise 2019” was 2 weeks of fun in the snow. Hoping for a bit warmer for next 7 weeks. Included is a stop to change out lifelines and standing rigging. A bunch of anchorages, capped by the 2019 Catalina Rendezvous at Roche Harbor. What fun awaits. Hoping for no snow.

Les

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
well, yesterday I sat on my front deck, shirtless, soaking up the bright sun and 80 degree day :) Only 77 today and cloudy. Oh well. it'll eventually get warm :)