DSC Test Call

Aug 4, 2018
Pearson Yachts 39-II Punta Gorda, FL
Yes! USCG and others did and yes canceled the distress call about a " log floating in the water" It worked the way it should too all info received properly. However, It was not a test I did see a log in the water it was 2feet long and 10inches in dia. OOPs sorry..
Roger that! I'm currently rigging my DSC "distress log" from a short section of dock piling so I can deploy it, photograph it, DSC report it, then recover it for other's safety after cancelling the call!
Thanks for the info, Captain.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I received one of those DSC Alert calls last summer. While on a reach with the wind full in the sails the alert screamed. I listened and the individual called MayDay we're on fire. I listened... No responses. Again Mayday.. I called he caller to verify his location. (About 2 miles west from my position). Told him on VHF16 I was altering course and ETA about 15 minutes. He went on to chat with CG who finally answered. While in route 2 other boats showed up and took the crew aboard while the skipper stayed to be sure the fire was out and await a tow. After 10 minutes (tense for me) we confirmed he was ok and had assistance. I returned to original course.
Listening to the exchange once the fire was out, the CG concern was for a spill - contamination and hazmat problems.

Did DSC work? Yes. it got my immediate attention, and I had his coordinates and direct communication when no one else answered his plea. That I was too far away to render immediate assistance was of no consequence as others also hearing the call responded in the same manner. Nearest CG station was 30 minutes away. Washington State Ferries did not reach out even though they were 200 yards away.
WA State ferries do not monitor 16. Probly good they don’t. If you need to talk to a ferry, it’s 5 or 13.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
"WA State ferries do not monitor 16..." Do they operate under some waiver or do they just not respond? I know commercial traffic around the port of Long Beach and Los Angeles don't respond unless called by their name or via DSC (which I do not use). By the way, I have a SH GX2200 which I really like, but when you read Pearson's post with the manual description of the GX1700, you have a pretty good illustration why the use of DSC by most crew would be self-defeating. Better to just jump on 16 and make your distress call IMHO.

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
Would you send a mayday for a log in the water? Really? From the DSC testing page from the Coast Guard...

"UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHALL A DSC DISTRESS ALERT BE SENT TO TEST YOUR RADIO. IT IS A VIOLATION OF THE RULES AND CAN RESULT IN HEAVY FINES"

A couple of years ago, I heard a conversation on Channel 16 between a boat owner and the Coast Guard. He just installed a new radio with DSC capability, and wanted to test it in the worst way. They told him in no uncertain terms "Don't do that!"

Aug 4, 2018
It was a standard horizon hand held, forget the model number.
Much of the above points to the terrible confusion about the dsc system. What if you have more than one boat, more than one radio, or take a hand held on a different boat? Ask six different people what to do when you sell and get a new boat and there are six different answers.
That is too much confusion for a system that is to give basic safety communication. If the cg isnt getting all the information at this date there is also very poor implementation.
I really wonder if perhaps dsc has been oversold.
Take a look here:
https://www.boatus.com/MMSI/
This is for vessels not calling on foreign ports, like Bahamas, BVI's , etc. etc. You can edit the MMSI to change your and your boat's info., transfer the MMSI to a new owner, add additional radios, like a HandHeld, SSB, AIS, etc. to get an additonal MMSI. It looks pretty straightforward and very flexible.

If you do call on international ports you are required to get a federal FCC radio license, and a new MMSI along with that:
"If your vessel requires licensing by the FCC after you have obtained an MMSI number from BoatUS, Sea Tow Service, Shine Micro, Inc., or United States Power Squadrons, that MMSI number cannot be used during the application/licensing process when you file FCC Forms 159 and 605 with the FCC. MMSI numbers issued by other authorized entities are valid only for ship stations that do not have FCC-issued licenses. Since the ULS will not accept the MMSI that was issued by another entity, you should not enter anything on FCC Form 605, Schedule B. Leave the field blank and the FCC will issue you a new MMSI number."
But, again, changes seem to be provided for:
"Making Changes During Your License Term
If you change your mailing address, legal name, or ship name, you must complete FCC Form 605 for Administrative Update. There is no fee required. No action is required when you add or replace a transmitter that operates in the same frequency band.
Send your completed form to:
Federal Communications Commission
1270 Fairfield Road
Gettysburg, PA 17325-7245"

So, if you operate domestically, you can avoid the gov't, deal with Boat/US or SeaTow, etc. websites and pretty easily deal with even multiple MMSI's. If truly blue water cruising, well, like the USCG itself, ya gos to deal with the Feds and their forms.

Oct 22, 2014
Pearson P303 #221 RockPort Maine
A distress call for a 2’ log? If we did that in PNW, the airwaves would be pure bedlam. More so than they already are. .
Mark, you need to read between the lines here! I've seen whole trees in the water before too. But, I have to think about other's in on the water for safety reasons. So now I can use my "BUTTON" legally. As far as the DSC traffic with the USCG. They need and should have worked that out before they implemented MMSI with DSC. They needed a better way so that boaters have an actual response from someone overseeing DSC till the bugs get out of the system. EXample: I think you should type in code 123 then computer comes back and tells you have just entered a code 1,2,3 is this correct... Y-N you say YES it says back Please depress you DCS now! you do that.. You are vessel named Bad Boy and your MMSI number is 1327656 and you are shown to be Lat.23.456 lat: 56.375 is this correct: Y or N . you say or move the cursor to select yes. your system is functioning properly.. Good Buy! LOL Now, that's the information we need for a test. The system tells you what it sees.
Now you know YA! it's good or bad information they have and it confirms IT WORKS. If its bad info now you know what to do to correct the problem by contacting BoatUS or FCC... etc. IMO.

Aug 4, 2018
Would you send a mayday for a log in the water? Really? From the DSC testing page from the Coast Guard...

"UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHALL A DSC DISTRESS ALERT BE SENT TO TEST YOUR RADIO. IT IS A VIOLATION OF THE RULES AND CAN RESULT IN HEAVY FINES"

A couple of years ago, I heard a conversation on Channel 16 between a boat owner and the Coast Guard. He just installed a new radio with DSC capability, and wanted to test it in the worst way. They told him in no uncertain terms "Don't do that!"
Awwwww... In a word : "YES". Given a system, as related by several sailors here, whose lame test facility results in incomplete test results and results that falsely reassure users that all is okay, gaming the system to really test our equipment, our configuration of it, and their systemic responses to it - umm, yeah - creatively doing "real testing", IMHO, is entirely justified. Excuse me while I ask forgiveness, not permission...

Aug 4, 2018
Mark, you need to read between the lines here! I've seen whole trees in the water before too. But, I have to think about other's in on the water for safety reasons. So now I can use my "BUTTON" legally. As far as the DSC traffic with the USCG. They need and should have worked that out before they implemented MMSI with DSC. They needed a better way so that boaters have an actual response from someone overseeing DSC till the bugs get out of the system. EXample: I think you should type in code 123 then computer comes back and tells you have just entered a code 1,2,3 is this correct... Y-N you say YES it says back Please depress you DCS now! you do that.. You are vessel named Bad Boy and your MMSI number is 1327656 and you are shown to be Lat.23.456 lat: 56.375 is this correct: Y or N . you say or move the cursor to select yes. your system is functioning properly.. Good Buy! LOL Now, that's the information we need for a test. The system tells you what it sees.
Now you know YA! it's good or bad information they have and it confirms IT WORKS. If its bad info now you know what to do to correct the problem by contacting BoatUS or FCC... etc. IMO.
Absolutely dead on, Captain. Thank you.

Oct 22, 2014
Take a look here:
https://www.boatus.com/MMSI/
This is for vessels not calling on foreign ports, like Bahamas, BVI's , etc. etc. You can edit the MMSI to change your and your boat's info., transfer the MMSI to a new owner, add additional radios, like a HandHeld, SSB, AIS, etc. to get an additonal MMSI. It looks pretty straightforward and very flexible.

If you do call on international ports you are required to get a federal FCC radio license, and a new MMSI along with that:
"If your vessel requires licensing by the FCC after you have obtained an MMSI number from BoatUS, Sea Tow Service, Shine Micro, Inc., or United States Power Squadrons, that MMSI number cannot be used during the application/licensing process when you file FCC Forms 159 and 605 with the FCC. MMSI numbers issued by other authorized entities are valid only for ship stations that do not have FCC-issued licenses. Since the ULS will not accept the MMSI that was issued by another entity, you should not enter anything on FCC Form 605, Schedule B. Leave the field blank and the FCC will issue you a new MMSI number."
But, again, changes seem to be provided for:
"Making Changes During Your License Term
If you change your mailing address, legal name, or ship name, you must complete FCC Form 605 for Administrative Update. There is no fee required. No action is required when you add or replace a transmitter that operates in the same frequency band.
Send your completed form to:
Federal Communications Commission
1270 Fairfield Road
Gettysburg, PA 17325-7245"

So, if you operate domestically, you can avoid the gov't, deal with Boat/US or SeaTow, etc. websites and pretty easily deal with even multiple MMSI's. If truly blue water cruising, well, like the USCG itself, ya gos to deal with the Feds and their forms.
Good info there! I am not an FCC person or a BoatUS employee. I'm definitely one that likes to travel. I've got a good passport and the basic MMSI number. I have gone to the Bahamas and found no problems with my MMSI# usage. However, If the country wants to see your vessel info the can look it up on there supplied system or databook supplied by the federal gov. of documented vessels. I'm not but here is my vessels title by the US government showing the vessel and my Passports one and the same. No problem man... Thank you very much.. you may go.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
gov't, deal with Boat/US or SeaTow, etc. websites and pretty easily deal with even multiple MMSI's.
Most radios, particularly standard Horizon do not allow MMSI numbers to be changed by the end user, so the commentary about multiple MMSI numbers requires multiple radios. Unless of course you are a factory authorized service facility in which case this doesn't apply to you. It certainly applies to the rest of us.

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
gaming the system to really test our equipment, our configuration of it, and their systemic responses to .
While you're busy "gaming the system", someone with a real emergency could lose their life while resources are being used for your "game". Especially if others are doing the same cause they read that's OK on an internet forum. Just sayin' . Maybe we all should dial 911, just to make sure it works?

I'll just believe my red button works if I need it, as the rest of the DSC functionality is fine.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2018
Most radios, particularly standard Horizon do not allow MMSI numbers to be changed by the end user, so the commentary about multiple MMSI numbers requires multiple radios. Unless of course you are a factory authorized service facility in which case this doesn't apply to you. It certainly applies to the rest of us.
Right, so if you sell your boat, sell the radio as part of it. Problem solved.
If you've returned your failed radio to the mfr, as I just did with Standard Horizon, it's great that they ask for your MMSI on the repair service request form so they can program that same MMSI for you on the new or refurb'ed radio. They are a factory authorized repair facility, and this ability does apply to us all.

Aug 1, 2011
Remove the radio.
You have no guarantee that the new owner will update the radio when it involves boxing it up and sending someplace.
Do you want that responsibility?
Changing the number at the federal level does not necessarily remove your name, and boat info from this mmsi number.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
WA State ferries do not monitor 16
Mark. I spoke to the Port Townsend/Keystone ferry captain on 16 a couple of times. I called the ferry by name (thank you AIS) while he was transiting the VTS. You know that the USCG is monitoring so a call often is answered.

When you call in a log as a hazard to marine traffic you want to be sure it is one that can cause a problem.
log1.jpg
log2.jpg

We have steam ships like the W.T. Preston in Anacortes (now a museum ) that would cruise the channels and recover logs and deadheads. Sadly that was in a time long past.
WTPreston.jpg

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Interesting..maybe cuz they cross shipping lines a lot. I think when you get into the islands it might be a different story ..

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I think you are right. I have seen the ferries running through the passages of the San Juan's but I try to stay out of their way... They look to be on a mission and I would just be a fly in the ointment.

Oct 22, 2014
While you're busy "gaming the system", someone with a real emergency could lose their life while resources are being used for your "game". Especially if others are doing the same cause they read that's OK on an internet forum. Just sayin' . Maybe we all should dial 911, just to make sure it works?

I'll just believe my red button works if I need it, as the rest of the DSC functionality is fine.
It's "not gaming the system" but, it is clarifying that the database being used is correct. If I could change the system to make it easier to use I would. But, you cant. Just like the IRS. You go do your taxes each year and you play by the book never an audit... Then the Government messes up and at the end of the year sends you a statement 1099 I then give it to my tax guy, he then does my taxes. The 1099 never reached me in the mail and so I never gave it to the tax guy.. all ok for 4 years then all of sudden I get a letter from the IRS telling me I owe them 150.00 + Penalty 640.00 + 10% interest for the amount owed for 4 years!. Now IF, they allowed us to view the data before we do our taxes. all the problems go away. But that's PIE in the sky!
I think you can see "Garbage in Garbage Out" the end results is having to deal with BULLS&%#.

Aug 1, 2011
I dunno, I grab the Ram, call up Sailavie’s entry, press the button, his radio goes beep and we both go to the yaks-a-lot channel. Seems to work fine.
I tried calling @jssailem but the mountains were in the way :)