Nearly flooded into the cabin.

Feb 21, 2019
Catalina 22 Madison In.
We had rain today like I have never seen before. Winds clocked 69mph .... My cockpit drains had always worked prior to today's massive rain event but within two hours they plugged up and turned into this mess !!! I really can see the need for the over sized rear drain setup now !! I used a long stainless tig filler rod with a formed loop and a cordless drill to work the both over and the flushed out well afterward. I have been working on the good days to get it cleaned up so a rinse off in the morning and it should reverse the mess that came out of the trees. I have what appear to be the original drain covers, stainless steel round with 4-5 mm holes and they turn down around the edges a little all the way around. I now think the drains were partially plugged and I did not realize it.

IMG_2873.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Wow! That pic will probably sell a lot of scupper upgrade kits. ;)

Glad it all stayed out of the cabin! :thumbup:

Feb 21, 2019
Catalina 22 Madison In.
I feel fortunate all my real clean up work thus far has mostly been on the inside other than a good spray off when it first got home so I did't loose too much ground. The inside is cleaning up great, the outside is gonna be a little more of a chore but I have dealt with a lot of dirty spring cleanups boats over the years and got a good recipe to throw at it here soon. Not sure if I will fly into any refinishing type work until after we use it a few time and see how it works out for what we want. Maybe just water seal stuff for now.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Doug, welcome to the "what were they thinkin club" with those forward scuppers and forward sloped floor on the original models...don't sweat it, we've all been there and as Gene sez, time for the rear scupper mod!

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
That is supposed to be the tub when you need to take a bath.
Isn't there another current thread discussing the lack of safety with an open transom?

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Just a comment , it really does not matter what kind of or where the scuppers are located, if you let them get plugged, they will back up. Boats just require more maintenance than anything else in life except maybe your first girl friend or used car.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I know
That is supposed to be the tub when you need to take a bath.
Isn't there another current thread discussing the lack of safety with an open transom?
I know a guy who plugged the drains in his Catalina 27, filled it with water and let his kids use it as a kiddy pool for the day:whoa:

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
I had the same problem. I solved it by buying and using cockpit cover. That solved a few other problems, too.

Feb 21, 2019
Catalina 22 Madison In.
I am an canvas and upholstry hobbist so considering a cover project for the cabin and cockpit area as a combo.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
good for cleaning sails too, plug the drains, fill with water & dawn, stomp/slosh around...

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
When you get a chance, you also might want to check the top of the keel winch bolts - just to make sure they are well sealed with butyl tape. Yours look fine from the photo, but if any water is able to seep into the keel winch bolt holes, it can possibly rot out the step and coring the keel winch is supported by. It's pretty simple to back them out to check. Also make sure the keel cable "volcano" tube is well clamped at the bilge, as that's below the waterline. You never know how well the previous owner kept an eye on these things-

Feb 21, 2019
Catalina 22 Madison In.
When you get a chance, you also might want to check the top of the keel winch bolts - just to make sure they are well sealed with butyl tape. Yours look fine from the photo, but if any water is able to seep into the keel winch bolt holes, it can possibly rot out the step and coring the keel winch is supported by. It's pretty simple to back them out to check. Also make sure the keel cable "volcano" tube is well clamped at the bilge, as that's below the waterline. You never know how well the previous owner kept an eye on these things-
thanks, Yes I will look into them along with pulling and re-bedding all the hardware as soon as I get done cleaning this thing top to bottom. hoping to not need recoreing but I imagine the will be some to be done. I cannot imagine there is many of these 40 years old range with solid decks still.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
You would be amazed at how many of the hulls are still solid, decks still cored and mostly leak free (except for windows).

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Stock scuppers highly suspect as well you know-- I've been on the path of adding rear drains, but had to deal with a rotten cockpit floor first. In the process I nuked the stock and added 2" grates and maintained the 2" supply line all the way to the stock through hull. Also on the list is to swap out the 3/4 through hull for a proper 2" -- but even with the physical limitations the throughput is much improved. And essentially I never leave the cockpit exposed save for the time she's on the water.
IMG_1049.JPG
20160501_194832600_iOS.jpg
IMG_0360.JPG