Shower Sump install

GarEi

Mar 8, 2009
2 303 Barnegat
My Pearson 303 does not have a shower sump, I want to install one I am leaning towards an Attwood 4141 if it fits in my bilge. I think I will pump out at the transom. My question is do I need a vented loop or a loop in the discharge hose before the through hull or run the hose straight to the thru hull? Being that I don't have to worry about heeling over on this type of install I don't think I need any loop. If the transom ends up low enough in the water to allow water to enter the shower sump discharge hose I think I will have bigger problems than the shower sump! Any good ideas. Thanks

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Why not just T it into the sink drain instead of running to the transom?

No, you will not need a vented loop if the hose exits high enough that so that it does not get submerged.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
If ya tee into sink drain, you definitely should put in a vented loop with the loop being a bit taller than the sink top.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Why have a sump? My old pearson did not have a sump and current boat does not..... the shower drain led to a pump and went directly overboard above waterline near shower.

Greg

Jan 11, 2014
If ya tee into sink drain, you definitely should put in a vented loop with the loop being a bit taller than the sink top.
Yes, if you leave the sink drain closed, otherwise the open drain in the sink acts as vent. The T does have to be above the waterline or it will back fill. The vented looped is to break a siphon. With an open drain the siphon can't form.

GarEi

Mar 8, 2009
2 303 Barnegat
Thanks for all the suggestions, I don't think I can tee into the sink drain but I will take a look. The vented loop might be a problem, not much room. The boat had a shower sump pump mounted in port settee which was removed and the thru hull used for the bilge pump. I think the Whale IC might work there but again space is very tight. The biggest decision is the thru hull which must be done before launch the rest can be done in the water.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
You might want to use a lighted manual switch on your shower sump. Someone could easily forget to turn it off.

Last edited:

GarEi

Mar 8, 2009
2 303 Barnegat
No DL the bilge discharges above the water line. I think I will put a thru hull near the bilge discharge and install a Whale Gulper 220 pump for the shower. I need to take some measurements.

Jan 11, 2014
No DL the bilge discharges above the water line. I think I will put a thru hull near the bilge discharge and install a Whale Gulper 220 pump for the shower. I need to take some measurements.
That sounds like a good plan. If I recall correctly, many Pearsons have a cored hull. Be sure to seal the balsa core when you poke a hole into it and put the discharge high enough to keep it out of the water even when heeled.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Don’t know about early pearsons but 1970’s on they were solid Fiber glass hulls