DSC Test Call

Aug 21, 2017
Sunfish Thistle NY
Is there a way to test to see if a VHF radio can properly send a Digital Selective Call (DSC) if the sending radio doesn't have the "Test" function?

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
I think that there is a USCG MMSI that is designated for tests like that. I think that it was listed in the owner's manual for one of my radios. It was a few years ago, so I'm a little foggy on the details.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Sure. Find a friend on his boat with a VHF radio that has DSC feature. Using his MMSI number you call the friend. If he answers it works. If not you have an issue to solve.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
We use it while cruising with friends that we have entered their MMSI numbers. We select a channel and place the call. That brings our friends to that channel without having to hail them on Ch 16.

Aug 21, 2017
Sunfish Thistle NY
To clarify my original question: If I place a DSC to a friend would my lat/lon show up on their radio? I want to test to make sure that my GPS data is being broadcast.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
To clarify my original question: If I place a DSC to a friend would my lat/lon show up on their radio? I want to test to make sure that my GPS data is being broadcast.
What type of VHF do you have? What type of VHF does your friend have? What do the manuals say for the radio?
This is from the ICOM website (General DSC applicable info):

n HOW DOES DSC WORK
DSC uses a digital signal to send a specific set of information.
To have it work, you need the following:
• The vessel must be equipped with DSC capable radio.It is
best to have a Class D DSC radio as the new USCG
regulations require.
• You must obtain a MMSI # (Maritime Mobile Service Identity
Number) for your DSC radio from Boatus.com. This is how
others can identify it is you making the DSC call.
• You must connect the DSC radio to a Global Positioning
System (GPS) in order for yourposition to be sent with the
DSC distress call. Interconnect your radio to a GPS receiver
using a two-wire NMEA 0183 interface that is on all DSCequipped
marine radios and on most GPS receivers. Refer
to your GPS manual for instructions and the USCG web site for
updates: www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtDsc.
• The system should be tested. To test the system, do NOT
press the distress button! You will need to determine the
MMSI number of a friend or local shore station or use the
USCG test MMSI # when making a test call. To make a test
call enter the MMSI #. Use the DSC calling Channel 70.
Select a working channel (NOT Channel 16), use a routine
priority call (see manual) and then make a call.The USCG
test MMSI # is: 003669999. Select “TEST” on your radio
and enter 003669999 MMSI, make the call. You will
receive an automatic acknowledgement from a USCG
Rescue 21 shore station.
The information that can be passed by a DSC call on VHF
Channel 70 includes the following:
• The caller’s unique MMSI number
• The MMSI number of the unit being called
• The caller’s location and time of location in a distress by
using the distress button when appropriate
• The requested working frequency and mode
• The priority of call (Distress, Urgent, Safety, Routine)
• DSC calls can indicate the type of emergency if selected

Aug 21, 2017
Sunfish Thistle NY
Oh. DSC Digital Selective Calling is just that, calling to another radio.

You want to try a test call to see if the system transmitted your emergency signal?

Here are the official instructions.

https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=DSCTesting
Yes, I want to try a test call to see if my system is transmitting an emergency signal. I have a Standard Horizon GX1260 VHF radio. It does not have a "Test" function like the newer radios have. I don't know the age but would guess it was purchased in the early 2000's.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Yes, I want to try a test call to see if my system is transmitting an emergency signal. I have a Standard Horizon GX1260 VHF radio. It does not have a "Test" function like the newer radios have. I don't know the age but would guess it was purchased in the early 2000's.
From the back of the radio I have a blue and green pair of wires that lead to my chart plotter to get Lat and Long. It displays on the Standard Horizon screen when I select it from the menu. I can send it to a friend in the DSC menu.

Aug 4, 2018
Pearson Yachts 39-II Punta Gorda, FL
Oh. DSC Digital Selective Calling is just that, calling to another radio.

You want to try a test call to see if the system transmitted your emergency signal?

Here are the official instructions.

https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=DSCTesting
Thanks for that post, jssailem. I installed a Standard Horizon GX2200 just last month and it does have the DSC Test feature, yet nowhere in their documentation was this USCG test MMSI mentioned. My concern is the same as the original poster - when I send out an actual DSC distress call will my GPS coordinates be part of what USCG receives - i.e. how to not just program that, but also how to test/validate I did it right and everything works as expected?
Does anyone know if the USCG automated response to a DCS Test call includes any indication that they received my position info? Is the USCG response simply the "ACK" that shows up on my VHF display? Is there a way to VHF or telephone call someone in the USCG Rescue 21 System after you get an "ACK" to find out what they saw in your DSC test transmission?

Oct 22, 2014
Pearson P303 #221 RockPort Maine
Thanks for that post, jssailem. I installed a Standard Horizon GX2200 just last month and it does have the DSC Test feature, yet nowhere in their documentation was this USCG test MMSI mentioned. My concern is the same as the original poster - when I send out an actual DSC distress call will my GPS coordinates be part of what USCG receives - i.e. how to not just program that, but also how to test/validate I did it right and everything works as expected?
Does anyone know if the USCG automated response to a DCS Test call includes any indication that they received my position info? Is the USCG response simply the "ACK" that shows up on my VHF display? Is there a way to VHF or telephone call someone in the USCG Rescue 21 System after you get an "ACK" to find out what they saw in your DSC test transmission?
Let me add this to your problem is..lol I too ran DSC test to get looped back ok.. However, When I really needed it... IT FAILED to send an emergency to the USCG with any information. The DSC around New England works off of towers and not satellites unless you have that system installed. I was on rocks last season and had to use my DCS button and no contact with USCG. The coast guard called my cellphone and explained they did not get me DCS signal. So I pressed it while they were on the phone with me.. NO WORKIE... Just use CH16 for help and the DCS. IMO

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Isn’t that the procedure. Press the DSC Panic button and call CG on channel 16. Mayday Mayday, Mayday.
When you need urgent help use all the tools in the box.

Note that the Panic call on DSC goes out to all boats with a VHF radio turned on. Some will see it as an annoyance and press the clear button. Responsible boaters will listen and respond based on Radio traffic. If everyone responds at the same time no one will be able to communicate.

You might reach out to your CG Auxiliary and ask them how they suggest you test your radio.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
If you respond on the DSC mode to an emergency call, you cut off the automatic functioning and relay function, don’t you???

You need to let your relay function work. Log the call, lat Lon of the caller, your last Lon, and the time. Then, call the USCG.

Oct 22, 2014
Isn’t that the procedure. Press the DSC Panic button and call CG on channel 16. Mayday Mayday, Mayday.

Note that the Panic call on DSC goes out to all boats with a VHF radio turned on. Some will see it as an annoyance and press the clear button. Responsible boaters will listen and respond based on Radio traffic. If everyone responds at the same time no one will be able to communicate. You got to ask yourself this question. If a company can LIE to the public about it's FULL AIS release, What makes you think their radios are fully functional?

You might reach out to your CG Auxiliary and ask them how they suggest you test your radio.
Good point there... I did reach out to the local CG station.. they can't help with any testing.. You just have to rely on IT JUST WORK'S right! My new Standard Horizon radio was shipped back and all they did was send me a refurb one.. The USCG station wanted to know what happened and all Standard Horizon could say "NO PROBLEM FOUND!" would you expect any other responses! LOL, No I guess not... I now have a new one and have actually tested it out for real. ICOM you the.... Capt. Rob

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
You also need to have the setting checked for transmit gps coordinates when calling friends.

Oct 22, 2014

Note that the Panic call on DSC goes out to all boats with a VHF radio turned on. Some will see it as an annoyance and press the clear button. Responsible boaters will listen and respond based on Radio traffic. If everyone responds at the same time no one will be able to communicate.

And answer yes, you would under certain conditions here. Let say your the only one on your sailboat and your chart led you around. first thing is HIT that button, then get the sails down 2nd assess your situation and take actions based on the event. the vessel was flopping port to starboard back and forth on its sides. Needed to stop flopping. moved the dingy inflatable boat to one side causing it to come to rest on the under the vessel. Next, use an adjustable boat hook under the boat toe rail to keep the boat from flopping. lol and NOW deal with why no answer from the USCG or any boats. So you see its a matter of "blind trust" that you realize its wrong and will never use it again till the USCG allows an actual test.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
VHF is line of sight. If the antenna is at the top of the mast, but the mast is in the sand, it's pretty obvious that the transmission and reception may be questionable.