What is it?

Feb 26, 2019
Pearson 31-2 Chester MD
Can anyone tell me what this is. It is located on the port side of the cockpit backrest between the propane cover and lazerette opening. It has a stainless steel rod that was sticking out slightly. I pushed on it and I heard a click and now it won't budge inside this black covering. Its inside a small "box" with a hose connected to it but I simply can't figure what it does and how to get it back in the position is was. I've looked for it on the boat schematics but it doesn't show up.

I have a theory it has something to do with the bilge pump. Anyone know what it is and does? Thanks! Sam

Attachments

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
It's the cover for the manual bilge pump. The steel rod moves up and down to pump water out of the boat. The "box" behind the fiberglass is the pump and there should be two hoses on it. One to the bilge and one going overboard.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
It is the remains of a manual bilge pump. The stainless steel rod is probably the handle. If you could push it into the black faceplate and it can't move then the pump is most probably broken. When it is functioning the rod fits inside a hole in the black face plate. Then you move the rod up and down and that motion causes the pump to pump water out of the bilge. I would try to determine the manufacturer. Others on this forum may know right away. In some cases replacement parts are available. I would definitely try to fix or replace it as it is a safety item.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
I'ts not the remains (or is not likely to be) -- the removable handle is probably somewhere on the boat? You insert the handle in and pump.

Oct 22, 2014
Pearson P303 #221 RockPort Maine
Can anyone tell me what this is. It is located on the port side of the cockpit backrest between the propane cover and lazerette opening. It has a stainless steel rod that was sticking out slightly. I pushed on it and I heard a click and now it won't budge inside this black covering. Its inside a small "box" with a hose connected to it but I simply can't figure what it does and how to get it back in the position is was. I've looked for it on the boat schematics but it doesn't show up.

I have a theory it has something to do with the bilge pump. Anyone know what it is and does? Thanks! Sam
It is the remains of your manual bilge pump and boy I mean REMAINS. Yes! the stainless steel rod is probably the handle. If you try and push it into the old black faceplate and you can or can't move the pump up and down it's most probably broken. However, Whether or not it moves then the checkout begins.
1. How old is the unit? 10years! Replace
2. Check all hoses for, cracks, age, and stiffness that's "Pump to the bilge" and "Bilge to out the boat". any questions or feelings as to age or thoughts of well maybe later... Replace with new!
It's a safety issue and not to be taken for granted. Some of us here know and have had to use one before.
Best of luck. Capt Rob Pearcon303

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Yes, those suggestions are correct. Most production boats used Whale diaphragm pumps. Check any chandlery supply house like WM or Defender, find the pump, compare it to yours and find the installation manual, download it for your model. That manual will have all the parts in a big exploded diagram. Once you figure out what you have, you can evaluate the condition of the pump itself and go from there.
Good luck. Whatever ails it is fixable! :) Or replaceable.
Take your pick.:)
Your boat, your choice.:)

Feb 26, 2019
Pearson 31-2 Chester MD
Thanks to all of you - next time at the boat this coming week I'll climb into the lazarette, remove it and either fix it or get a replacement.

Thanks again !!

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
I believe that Pearson's may have used the Bosworth pump rather than the Whale Pump. Bama Boy: Do you have the removable handle which has a hollow end? That's what you'll use to connect to the SS "rod" to actually pump.

It is possible that the diaphragm has dry rotted out and is "locked-up"; however, I wouldn't think it would lock-up.

[img class="img-responsive center-block" alt="Guzzler® GH-M400D " src="https://www.thebosworthco.com/images/r/gh-m400d_v1_co_500x266.png">
Identifying Features
  • Flush-mount style clamp ring
  • Removable handle
  • Inlet and outlet ports on opposite sides of body
  • 4 screws secure inlet and outlet flanges to body
  • Color: Gray

https://www.thebosworthco.com/products/replacement.php

[img class="img-responsive center-block" alt="Guzzler® GH-M400D "

Identifying Features
  • Flush-mount style clamp ring
  • Removable handle
  • Inlet and outlet ports on opposite sides of body
  • 4 screws secure inlet and outlet flanges to body
  • Color: Gray

Oct 22, 2014
Pearson P303 #221 RockPort Maine
I do have the handle - which I now know what its for!
One other thing you might consider would be to add an emergency raw water bilge by running an extra hose that tees off of your engines raw water pump. I once had a seacock that gave way while under sail 25NM offshore and my electric bilge pump could not keep up with the amount of water flowing into the bilge. Had my wife on the manual bilge pump while motor sailing to port. She didn't last long though. so we traded places, and Yes! it was work I needed to get all sails down and pump too.... lol We did ok until it was time for haul-out luckily the marina was able to take me out quickly so we motored to docks but kept the motor running till time to haul out, just in case the engine would not start again for some reason.
After this event, I decided after talking to some other boaters to install an adjustable flow valve that can control the flow rate on how much water the engine removes over time. To test this out I put a garden hose in beige and started the engine with the valve closed then turned the water on to a water flow we had coming into our vessel. Now proceeded to adjust the valve to keep the water level maintained but not drained totally to keep from getting air into the engine. After this, I made markings on the valve positions and on the bilge walls showing 10,20,30.. etc. Gallons. And the rest is history.
Note: I did put a flat strainer/filter on the hose end in the bilge to prevent the large particles getting into the engine.
It also makes a great winterizing a breeze..lol
hope this helps! Capt. Rob

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
You can probably buy a rebuild kit. The one for my Guzzler 500 series was about $25 shipped. It included two valves and a diaphram. It's at least 15 years old but works like new now

Feb 26, 2019
Pearson 31-2 Chester MD
Going to remove it next time we're at the marina and see if a new one or a rebuild kit is the nest solution - thanks for the opinion.