SailCargo

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
The late, great Mot Greene, founder of the Grenada Chocolate Company, delivered their chocolate up the islands for years. It was a small op, boot-strap really, but it worked; they were able to maintain quality control on a perishable, high-end product.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
The late, great Mot Greene, founder of the Grenada Chocolate Company, delivered their chocolate up the islands for years. It was a small op, boot-strap really, but it worked; they were able to maintain quality control on a perishable, high-end product.
A few years back a 100 odd foot sailing cargo vessel was trying to get a business going down here and they seemed to be having little success. Last I heard they sailed for the UK with a cargo of Grenadan chocolate (after some considerable investment in climate control for the hold), but I never heard that they even reached the UK, or delivered the cargo successfully.
At any rate, they have not reappeared back here.
An American friend of mine bought a Baltic trader called Fri in the mid-'70s and loaded her with around 50 tons of Heineken in Holland (he was a rich man's son). He said he paid all his expenses including the Panama canal fees with that beer until he ran out of beer, then he donated her to Greenpeace. That must have been a fun sailing voyage, hippie girls and all. lol

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Mott Greene was recruiting anyone interested in delivering his chocolate. For U.S. delivery he wanted it done in the winter months to keep the product in top shape. Former Peace Corps guy, he knew how to get stuff done from nothing. Took local cacao, vanilla, sugar, bought and built the processing gear and powered it all with solar electric and wood-fired roasters. He was killed in a DC electrical accident a few years ago, but the company lives on in the capable hands of Edmond Brown.
https://www.grenadachocolate.com/