i have to replace the sail rope.

Mar 14, 2019
Hunter 25.5 Chicago, IL
I am new in this sailing, I have a Hunter 25.5 and I have to replace the sail ropes, who can tell me what size they are. or they will have a diagram of which order they go.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Ropes also most commonly in sailing as lines can be purchased from this forum site store as they have the correct lengths although under boat information does not.
@caverun
Is there any other place to look? Thank you sir!
Suggest posting in small boats in the future

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
You did not say what year 25.5. Below is a link to a typical Hunter 25 that has a table with the running rigging diameter and length. You can take each line off by sewing a tag line to one end, disconnecting the line and taking the line to a marine store that sells running rigging then reverse the process. You can hire a rigger who can replace all the lines. You can also purchase running rigging from this site's store.

https://www.marlow-hunter.com/wp-content/export/Owners-Manuals/25 Owner's Manual 2008.pdf

Attachments

May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
Hi Nieves
You have a long (interesting) way to go and a lot to learn.
Get a few sailing instruction books out from your local library.
Go through till you find one that suits you and buy it.
Then read it cover to cover. From A = anchor to Y = yacht.
It will tell you what the lines you are seeking are actually called, where they go and what they do,
The illustrations will make things a lot clearer too.

As for ropes (lines ) for your boat . I would suggest buying from the Sailboat Owner's Store.
You will then get the advice on rigging the lines and back up that will be essential.

All the best
Gary

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@stephen john penny
Thank you for the link but that is to the 2000 era of the 25 while the original post was for the 1980’s vintage 25.5 and the original owners manual did not contain the length of running rigging. At my insistence that info became standard with the water ballast owners manuals. However, the forum store has that info and can make up those lines for the original poster. I have asked a friend to help out as a last resort.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Welcome to the forum, Nieves500.. Lots of great info here.. Check out the "Boat Info" tab and click on 25.5 for downloads etc pertinent to your boat.. A quick note.. Lines that move and control the sail are called "sheets" ; lines that hold the sails up on the mast are called "halyards" .. Not cpmplaining about your usage, but when you go to look for replacements, those are the terms that you'll see .. Again Welcome ! .. The 25.5 is a fine boat.. lots of room and sails pretty well.. Congratulations !

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Calif. Ted
Not an ad not as I use to be a dealer selling that boat and I knew well the information requested was not on the brochure nor owners manual. I asked someone who might know. Of course you could go to Marlo-Hunter for me to see if there is anything there as I have a lot on my plate and report back if there is anything. Thanks

Apr 7, 2016
Beneteau First 305 Seward, Alaska
Welcome @Nieves500 ! I grew up in the outdoors and fishing where a rope was a rope so I understand the learning curve and terminology. It isn’t just fluff to make us feel better than the other boaters. It really does make a difference. I honestly clicked on the link because I thought it was about replacing your sail (bolt) rope which aligns your mainsail in your mast. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions that need any other help. There are lots of other qualified peeps here but I’ve been where you are now not too long ago.
——> judgment free zone here<——

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Keep in mind the specs for lines on your boat are often small and therefore relatively uncomfortable to handle for a prolonged time. Bigger, within the limits of the hardware, will feel better and reduce difficulty in handling. If you can’t imagine the difference size makes (in this respect), you will after a long day sailing.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
The AD BOT post popped up right after yours Dave and seemed related, don't know why they moved. I don't know anyone at Hunter but I've got a 20 year old cell number for Gerry Douglas if a Catalina unknown ever comes up.

Mar 14, 2019
Hunter 25.5 Chicago, IL
Welcome to the forum, Nieves500.. Lots of great info here.. Check out the "Boat Info" tab and click on 25.5 for downloads etc pertinent to your boat.. A quick note.. Lines that move and control the sail are called "sheets" ; lines that hold the sails up on the mast are called "halyards" .. Not cpmplaining about your usage, but when you go to look for replacements, those are the terms that you'll see .. Again Welcome ! .. The 25.5 is a fine boat.. lots of room and sails pretty well.. Congratulations !
Thanck for the inf:
I do not know the names of sailboat parts for now, but I hope to learn in this somer, it makes me a little difficult to learn now. I had a serious problem, I went to the lot where the sailboat is to check the mast, it does not have the ropes that go inside the mast, how many rope goes inside the mast.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
The lines that go in the mast are called halyards, and are used to lift up the sails. You should have at least 2, one to raise the mainsail, which will exit out a slot with a pulley (sheave) on the rear of the mast at the top, and another to raise the jib, exiting out the front. If there are no lines there now, you will have to use something like an electricians fish tape to pull a small "messenger" line through the sheaves, including where they exit the mast near the bottom. Then use these messenger lines to pull through the proper sized halyards.
You may want to take photos of the top and bottom of your mast so people can comment on how to route these lines.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Will suggest routing and gear but in the mountains till weekend. Came out for breakfast and a few errands until we head back. What a shame no cell phone,TV, or internet coverage