26S hanked on jib repair.

Sep 5, 2017
Macgregor 26S TN River
I have a hanked on jib that has a long vertical rip in the top two feet. I have been considering how to repair. The jib is not in good shape and may be original from 1992. I have patched other places on it by sewing up the material with backing on both sides. With this tear at the very top of the jib, I have been debating a repair or simply folding over the top and adding reinforcement to the new top, and a new grommet, and using the shortened jib.

I consider this jib for learning and want to replace it in the next few years. I also have a 155 genoa, but have been hesitant to use it much.

Is it better to repair the tear or remove two feet of the jib?

Thanks
-Russ

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
...I have been debating a repair or simply folding over the top and adding reinforcement to the new top, and a new grommet, and using the shortened jib.

I consider this jib for learning and want to replace it in the next few years. I also have a 155 genoa, but have been hesitant to use it much...
-Russ
Since you are using the jib for learning, and you plan to replace it - my recommendation is to learn about repairing a vertical rip in a sail. Chances are that you will get some more time out of the full sail. The full sail will be better for boat performance. If the repair fails, then you can still go to Plan B, shortening the sail. But I would buy a new sail before I did that.

BTW - why not use the 155 genoa? I used my larger genoa until I got a new jib. It helped in the light air that we experience on the TN River.

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
155% is great for wind up to 12 knots. If you get any weather helm, just ease the main and spill a little air. You will still get a lot of power out the genoa.

Sep 5, 2017
Macgregor 26S TN River
Thanks. I did fix the rip for now. We will see how long it holds. I used it yesterday and it held well, but there was only 3-5 knots of wind.