Passage 42 Cockpit Step Issue

Sep 14, 2004
Hunter 42 Deltaville VA
We have a 1997 P42 with the starboard side step over the power connections leading into the cockpit. The screws are continually pulling loose from the Fiberglas making the use of the step dangerous. Have any owners fixed this step so that it doesn't come loose? How? Is the interior area where the screws come through accessible by removing the engine control panel? If it is, I think I could bolt the step on.

(I have posted this question on two Hunter facebook sites and anyone who has replied there need not reply here.)

Thanks.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
The screws are continually pulling loose from the Fiberglas making the use of the step dangerous.
Never had a step issue like yours with our 1991 model. Access to that area is through the panel in the aft head ceiling. That also gives you access to the shore power connections.

You might try using a SS molly fitting. Something like this, perhaps. https://www.boltdepot.com/Kaptoggle_Stainless_steel.aspx

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2004
Hunter 42 Deltaville VA
Thanks Terry. This situation is resolved. I increased the four screws' diameter by two sizes, from 10 to 14. The step is in solid for now.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I have used 3M-4200 for a few loose screws too.
My son-in-law prefers filling the hole with marine epoxy and then re-drilling the screws.
Those screws are continually being pulled on, as people climb on deck.
Jim...

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Thanks Terry. This situation is resolved. I increased the four screws' diameter by two sizes, from 10 to 14. The step is in solid for now.
Glad to read that you resolved your step situation.