eye candy

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
From what I've read, she doesn't live up to the expectations of her design. Inspired by Herrishoff's "sailing machine" she has undergone a lot of tweaking and is a fairly uncomfortable boat for 55 feet.
“On board accommodation has never been a big feature of the Red Herring experience. Her cross section is a bit smaller than a J24, so that’s about what you get, stretched out a bit. There is a head with a door, but if you are my size, it’s a challenge to wipe with the door closed. On the other hand, there is a stove with an oven, which makes hot coffee cake and danishes possible, which is about as civilized as it gets. You cannot stand up in the saloon except in the hatch. There is a nice aft berth under the mizzen, but you can’t sit up anywhere except under the hatch."​

Originally a cat rigged ketch, she she now has a foresail and daggerboards.
Still, quite pretty to look at. That's a canting keel, BTW.

-Will (Dragonfly)

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis

misty was my nemesis all the years i did the mac race. great owner. the two old yawls going head to head. i bested them only 3 of 9 years.

May 25, 2012
racing boats like this is akin to having a barn dance on your mother's dinning room table :)

May 25, 2012
the star was built in 1922. the trailer was a converted WW1 truck frame that had wood spoke wheels. sears had the tires and tubes and the rubber belt that lined the wheel so the tube did not chafe, in stock back in 59'

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I wasn't talking about the Star. I was referring to your text, "sailboat".
:poke:

Someone just crossed the Atlantic in a Star.

-Will (Dragonfly)