Cowl vents

Dug22

Jan 29, 2019
Catalina 22 Vincent Alabama, BSC
Were do I need to install cowl vents? I have also looked at the solar vents but they have mixed reviews. I am looking for ventilation in boat, say when it rains and we are at anchor and I have the hatch boards installed I want air to be able to get in the cabin.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
With hatch boards and hatches closed you are not going to get good ventilation if you are on board. Body heat and breath are too much for cowl vents to handle. It will be muggy. I open the companionway and forward hatch and put an umbrella over each to keep rain out.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Install a couple of these fans, wouldn't be without 'em...they really move some air...
plus Gene's method and hatch umbrella...

Aug 31, 2011
Catalina C-22 9485 Lake Rathbun, IA
We love the solar vents. They can be set to exhaust or pull fresh air in. Get the 4" version to pull more air flow. Mounted one in the for'ard hatch and very pleased with the vent and location. Reasonably quiet. CD stock them but available almost anywhere on the web.

Attachments

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Were do I need to install cowl vents? I have also looked at the solar vents but they have mixed reviews. I am looking for ventilation in boat, say when it rains and we are at anchor and I have the hatch boards installed I want air to be able to get in the cabin.
High on the house works best for cowl vents. To keep out rain and spray they need to be on a dorade box of some kind to keep water out of the cabin. Plus as stated, you have to exhaust air from the cabin, usually achieved through the companionway. You'd have to figure out an exhaust route with rain protection(dodgers achieve this on most larger boats, a small companionway spray dodger on your 22'?). Edit: Genes solution for companionway rain protection is great.

On a 22' a couple 3" cowl vents on dorade boxes at anchor in the rain, with just a little breeze, could be the difference between a comfortable and unbearable night below.

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
My boat does not have the pop top. So along both sides of the sliding hatch, aft end of the coach roof is where my boat has vents fitted. They are kind of passive in that there is no forced draft due to fan. I may remedy this by fitting fans like they have in "electric ducted fan model jet aircraft" in the internal tube part of the vent.

These pictures are from the early days of my refurb thread!

Attachments

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
My c22 has a solar vent in the foredeck hatch and a passive inlet in the front of the crib boards. see pix, vent set on exhaust and runs 24 7, Nico day nite solar .
New solar vent.jpg
Spacer for sliding hatch.jpg

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
It is a solar walk light to illuminate the combo lock on the hatch when its dark out. 99 cent cheap fix .

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Is it me? Are cowl vents old school? Solar vents may not help much on cloudy, rainy days without battery reserve. There are some wind driven vent that might work. Opening up and fan use work best I think.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Is it me? Are cowl vents old school? Solar vents may not help much on cloudy, rainy days without battery reserve. There are some wind driven vent that might work. Opening up and fan use work best I think.
Old school I agree, but I don't think a better option to ventilate a small boat at sea (or anchor in the rain), has been invented.

Cowl vents on dorade boxes are expensive on new boats so unless the boat is/was designed to spend time at sea, I don't see them often.

I still see cowl vent/dorade boxes on new designs that will spend some time at sea. I count at least 6 on ANNA, a newly launched custom boat. ANNA will spend enough time off shore to need the dry air below for the crew in a wet seaway.

ANNA cost $7,500,000 to build, shiny cowls fit within the budget. :)

Dug22

Jan 29, 2019
Catalina 22 Vincent Alabama, BSC
I think I will install cowl vent''s on the port side aft cockpit. Our dinnete is always down so it should help with ventalation.