RESTORATION of '86 C22 "MOON DANCE"

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
You guys just don't realise the wonderful resources at your disposal... It's a lot different here in darkest Africa!

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
View attachment 141143 View attachment 141144 View attachment 141145 View attachment 141146 Today I got the starboard deck skin and Core removed. Then I sanded the fiberglass with 40 grit sandpaper so that I get a good mechanical bond. Removing the thin wood that was still stuck to the fiberglass was simple with the use of a wood chisel. I also got one of the skins cleaned and sanded.
I really hate to ask a dumb question - but if you know, what exactly is that brown material under the deck?
Some kind of heavy resin layer on top of fiberglass mat? The more I look at it - the less I realize I really know.

Aug 31, 2017
Catalina Catalina 22 Tampa
I really hate to ask a dumb question - but if you know, what exactly is that brown material under the deck?
Some kind of heavy resin layer on top of fiberglass mat? The more I look at it - the less I realize I really know.
Its thickened resin. I couldn't tell you why they did it that way though. It's about a quarter inch thick. I don't know if they were trying to save money by using a thinner core or what. Thick resin is a lot weaker than if they had used a thicker core. My guess is cost. I also find it odd that they used dynel too?

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
Thanks Moondance. Maybe the thinking was it would not rot, but that seems in contrast to using any plywood at all. Was the plywood under the deck about 1/4"? You're doing great work-

Aug 31, 2017
Thanks Moondance. Maybe the thinking was it would not rot, but that seems in contrast to using any plywood at all. Was the plywood under the deck about 1/4"? You're doing great work-
Yes the plywood was about 1/4".

Feb 21, 2019
Catalina 22 Madison In.
Glad to see this project moving along nicely. I am new here but went back to the beginning and read all of you thread here. Feels good saving or improving an old boat.

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Ok... so besides working on the level of that private stock previously advertised... what is your next step with the deck? What is your plan for finishing and anti-slip method?

How many layers of CSM did you put down?

Aug 31, 2017
Ok... so besides working on the level of that private stock previously advertised... what is your next step with the deck? What is your plan for finishing and anti-slip method?

How many layers of CSM did you put down?
The deck has 2 layers of 1.5 oz.. CSM sandwiching 1 layer of 1708. Next step is fairing and painting using Total Boat products Total Fair, Topside Primer, Total Tread, and Wet Edge topside paint. I guess I should of left the plywood out until I was done documenting the other steps first. Not to worry though they are coming!

greg_m

May 23, 2017
The deck has 2 layers of 1.5 oz.. CSM sandwiching 1 layer of 1708. Next step is fairing and painting using Total Boat products Total Fair, Topside Primer, Total Tread, and Wet Edge topside paint. I guess I should of left the plywood out until I was done documenting the other steps first. Not to worry though they are coming!
Ok, so you got a fair thickness of laminate... there's just no getting away from fairing though is there!? It is a seriously laborious job and mostly manual sanding with long boards. At least I know now that I am not the only one doing this ;)

Aug 31, 2017
Ok, so you got a fair thickness of laminate... there's just no getting away from fairing though is there!? It is a seriously laborious job and mostly manual sanding with long boards. At least I know now that I am not the only one doing this ;)
Fairing wont be to bad for me in that area as most of it will be covered up by non-skid. Mainly just to get any major low spots taken care of.

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Fairing wont be to bad for me in that area as most of it will be covered up by non-skid. Mainly just to get any major low spots taken care of.
Noted, but don't underestimate the work required to do fairing nicely!

Dug22

Jan 29, 2019
Catalina 22 Vincent Alabama, BSC
I have been watching a YouTube series called "Boat Bros" The videos are kinda boring but the amount of informative info is great.

Dug22

Jan 29, 2019
Catalina 22 Vincent Alabama, BSC
I screwed up the name of the You Tube video this morning... (It was early) The name is Sail Bros... These guys are restoring a large older sailboat over years and have documented it. Like I said a lot of good info.