Beckson Port Gasket @#$%%$#

JerryA

Oct 17, 2004
Tanzer 29 Jeanneau Design Sandusky Bay, Lake Erie
Replaced three of them two years ago and the lens at the same time. I had to stretch them a good amount. Maybe it was easier with the lens off.

All worked out and they don't leak.

JerryA

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
If heating them in the sun or in hot water is helpful, what about using a hair dryer as you go? Use two hands to hold one end and, a few inches away, stretch the other, while a second person shoots the hair dryer air at it?

Feb 5, 2019
Pearson 303 Jacksonville, FL
Lens off/on wouldn't have made a difference on my 414s - but soaking the gasket in warm water made it 1000% easier to get in the slot. Still wasn't exactly easy, but was at least possible and not very frustrating. The paper instructions that came with my gaskets didn't mention warming it, but for my case (70F ambient), warming the gasket made a huge difference - it seated more or less as expected by reading the rest of the instructions.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Joe -
Lens off/on wouldn't have made a difference on my 414s - but soaking the gasket in warm water made it 1000% easier to get in the slot. .... but for my case (70F ambient), warming the gasket made a huge difference - it seated more or less as expected by reading the rest of the instructions.
So for us guys further north (~ 48ºN) we can just wait for summer and do the hot water soak!
Thanks for sharing. I liked that!

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
I will try again this spring with heat from a hair dryer. Hopefully that will do the trick. May try the adhesive gasket material. But if not back up plan is make a dremmel tool router jig to slightly widen the groove for the gasket then fill with 4200 adhesive and shove the gasket retaining finger in the goo, dog it down and see if it works. Last step is just replace the ports with another brand .
I have talked to the factory and all they can say is use a plastic hammer and it's a bear even with their jigs, only a few workers do it.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I have talked to the factory and all they can say is use a plastic hammer and it's a bear even with their jigs, only a few workers do it.
I must be one of 'em! :yikes: I've done four of our eight.
Larry, it takes patience and following the directions. And don't ever use 4200, you'll ruin the port, and you will eventually have to replace it again, like if your screens need replacing. Bad idea.
Really. That's all.
Oh, wait!!! This helps a lot ====== :beer::beer::beer: