Cuba to USA

Dec 14, 2011
Navicula 430 Hunter Toronto
Hi....i am a Canadain registered vessel and we both have Canadian passports.... We are in the Bahamas and would like to go to Cuba then back to the USA...

We just had a meeting about Cuba here on volleyball beach and i came away feeling that i am looking for trouble if i return from Cuba to the USA...
They say things have changed with the Trump administration and it would be wise not to do this...

So...has any of you fine Canadain registered vessels returned from Cuba to the USA in the past year?
What was your experiance?
And where in the USA did you check in ?

Thankyou
The Navicula

Jul 21, 2016
san juan 7.7 wabamun
I knew a guy (Canadian) that bought in Cuba. His plan was to motor straight to Florida to do a refit. Political issues made that difficult. The way around it was to simply go first to Mexico, then over to Florida.
My understanding of it is you cannot check into the us with cuba as your last stop.
Again, bear in mind this is second hand and from a few years ago. But could be a workaround worth looking into.
Sounds like a great trip though, have fun.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
There are some folks who hang out on the cruisers forum.com site who may have recent info. I’m told it’s not a problem especially for Canadians but I can’t verify.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
A number of years ago, the boat I worked on did a job for the U.S. Navy. We spent a few hours in Gitmo, never left the base. Two years later, we steamed from the Dominican Republic to Key West and checked into Customs. Processing took awhile, of course, and finally the Customs officer called us over to the window. "So, no stop in Cuba this trip?" he asked. Just goes to show, somebody is paying attention.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Cuba is the one destination my wife has firmly said NO to, at least until we graduate up from the C22. :(

I'm still working on her though, slooowly wearing away at her, like water on granite cliffs. ;)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I’m told it’s not a problem especially for Canadians but I can’t verify.
I would be willing to wager that if you called US Customs and asked, you will be told it is not a problem, but the agent that actually checks you in, may have a different opinion about that.
If a stop in Mexico before landing in the US would fix the issue, than certainly, you don't need to sail that far. Sail back to the Bahamas first.
Somehow, I think anytime you stop in Cuba along the way, US Customs is going to take notice. However, what does that really mean? Extra questioning and a more scrutinizing scan of your boat or are we expecting isolated detainment and confiscation of your boat?
Since I would like to sail to Cuba someday and dance a Salsa to Cuban rhythms, I'm interested to find out.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I guess it would be interesting to know how US Customs treats a Canadian national when entering the US from Cuba. As a US citizen, I would expect to comply with Canadian laws when entering Canada from anywhere else in the world. As a Canadian, wouldn't you also want to be on the correct side of travel restrictions as imposed by US law? It would seem to be a simple enough policy to follow. I don't think I would expect special consideration just for being a foreigner, but one never knows!

It may be complicated … it may not be. I guess the safe or less complicated way would be to return to the Bahamas before entering the US.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Cuba is the one destination my wife has firmly said NO to, at least until we graduate up from the C22. :(

I'm still working on her though, slooowly wearing away at her, like water on granite cliffs. ;)
We would both like to sail to Cuba. We have friends who have visited there, and enjoyed it. The people are friendly, and not a McDonald's in sight!

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Wouldn't a phone call or some web research pretty much solve all this conjecture? No one actually knows but, still puts forth an idea of what they think the truth is. Probably confusing the OP even more.....

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Wouldn't a phone call or some web research pretty much solve all this conjecture? No one actually knows but, still puts forth an idea of what they think the truth is. Probably confusing the OP even more.....
Yea.

Bigger picture, internet forums like SBO are at their best when user questions are replied to with fact-based answers from real-world, personal experience. Which FYI is exactly what the poster asked for. Most people are pretty good with Google by now, but even then, how do you know if what you read is true? In general, if you don't have direct experience, or your answer to a post involves YOU doing a google search, you might want to skip answering. While it ends up in fewer posts, the quality of the thread ends up being much higher. The signal to noise ratio here is already bad enough.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
While it ends up in fewer posts, the quality of the thread ends up being much higher. The signal to noise ratio here is already bad enough.
22 hours since the OP, 14 responses that don't quite meet the requested standard. If no one posted, the signal/ noise ratio would be 0/0. Since you can't divide by '0', that would leave SBO undefined.

I just hope you, Navicula, are enjoying the camaraderie and getting some good ideas about where to look for answers next.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Well, it is an interesting question. From the lack of direct responses, it appears that the post is targeting the wrong audience. I don't know how anyone can blame an audience for being conversational. Basically, I'm hearing crickets when it comes to direct experience. There is probably a reason for that. It's been up for a little while now without any direct input. Perhaps the thread should just be deleted so that the responses don't offend anyone?!

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Perhaps the thread should just be deleted so that the responses don't offend anyone?!
No one said that they were offensive. Just that there is no solid information in them. Camaraderie and conversations aside.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Well, it is an interesting question. From the lack of direct responses, it appears that the post is targeting the wrong audience. I don't know how anyone can blame an audience for being conversational. Basically, I'm hearing crickets when it comes to direct experience. There is probably a reason for that. It's been up for a little while now without any direct input. Perhaps the thread should just be deleted so that the responses don't offend anyone?!
Indeed. Some questions are good on SBO, other not so much. That question is probably better asked at Cruising Anarchy. A lot more actual cruisers hang there, which might deliver greater/better results. The funny part is, looking at the very specialized nature of the original post, I knew it would generate few factual answers. But I also had a pretty good idea of who would just chine in anyway.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I have not commented regarding this question even though I have plenty of experience with CBP. The FACT is it is difficult to predict how this scenario would unfold because 1) Cuba is one of the favorite insane political footballs of the Republican Party and their Cuban-American supporters, and 2) the CBP is a poorly disciplined agency with too many rogue actors willing to play to item #1. So the bottom line is the poster is taking a chance by doing this trip and running into some Barney Fife who will make a bad day of his arrival in Fort Lauderdale. My suggestion would be to show up with documentation from the Canadian government stating that a Cuban visit was known and approved. Then you have recourse to a consulate. Being at the center of a international squabble won’t get Barney his promotion. I’m out. Good luck.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
We would both like to sail to Cuba. We have friends who have visited there, and enjoyed it. The people are friendly, and not a McDonald's in sight!
My brother and I sneaked in and out through the Bahamas years ago, by air. Spent a week getting hammered and hanging out with some friendly locals we met. It was a lot of fun. ;)

Guess which one in the pic is me!