Les and John’s 2019 EXTREME Winter Cruise

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
We know there is a ferry in Long Harbor. They called us as we were approaching the South end of Salt Springs Island. Wanted to know our intentions. No way to see him in th snow till we were 1/4 mile apart in the snow and sea fog. Nice discussion with the captain and we sounded out fog horn together saluting each othe as he turned in towards the ferry dock and we into Annette Inlet. We have such cordial interactions. And @Stu Jackson has them nearly running him down.
Guess we live in a special place amid the unicorns and the Ferries...

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Update. The snow continues to fall.
View attachment 161201
Maybe an inch plus has fallen in the past hour. Is there a volume of the snow that could cause the boat to flip?
That depends on what type of snow. Dry fluffy snow could act as flotation, while dense, snowball snow, could get pretty heavy, so you might want to organize a good old fashion snowball fight, just to get the snow off the deck.
You guys look well dressed for it, so,
COLD? Nahhhh! (Be sure to clip in before letting those boreal projectiles fly.)
Or
You could take this opportunity to practice for the Snowball rodeo.
Yee Haw!

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
We just learned that the stove has died... again.... Dinner Lasagna may again still be FROZEN..
We have relit the oven again.. The glasses have been refilled with Burbon. Ward is thinking we will be frozen in the boat tomorrow morning.

One must be calm and just deal with the issues as they present themselves.

Oct 22, 2014
Les’s Mahalo is a movable feast...

Lasagna just came out of the oven... Steaming hot and cheese melting. Artisan sourdough from Granville Market, Fresh salad and Balsamic Newman’s Own dressing. And Woodbridge Burbon or BC distilled gin...

Doesn’t get much better here in Canada.
Must check out as my food is getting cold.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Careful on the Alcohol. It feels warm going down, but causes the "flush" as your capillaries go to the surface to cool your body FASTER.:badbad:

You were supposed to eat Mexican, not Italian. Natural gas production made ready.
Jim...

PS: Remember the cold, when you make your trip south of Latitude 20° in the spring.;)

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Started snowing here at 1330, right after we chatted. Hasn't let up, 4-6 inches so far, not stopping until 2200. More on the way tomorrow. It's 27F so cold, and the snow is still the light stuff weight-wise.
Here's Mahalo in July 2018 at Annette Inlet: (looks like in the same place, too)
IMG_20180710_205336 (Medium).jpg

Oct 22, 2014
Yes Les liked the place so much we dropped anchor in the same place. I tried to get Les to get one of these Sure to Stay in one place Anchor being sold at the Boat Show.
EDF995C2-D945-4D6D-9DFC-BEC6D276FDCD.jpeg

But he said on his fixed income it was out of the question. So Ward and I are at some risk.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Yes Les liked the place so much we dropped anchor in the same place. I tried to get Les to get one of these Sure to Stay in one place Anchor being sold at the Boat Show.
View attachment 161206
But he said on his fixed income it was out of the question. So Ward and I are at some risk.
Les knows how grounded his crew is, so he's obviously not worried about needing an anchor.
:laugh:
"Grounded"

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
Looking good. I like it.
Some how if we could add the 6 inches of snow and freezing temps it might just work.

It must be noted any consumption of alcohol aboard this boat is strictly performed for medicinal purposes.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Not sure JOHN’s Anchor pic’s got the app reaction they needed. The galvanized one is a 275Kg anchor. Not sure my winless would pick it up and they said I’d have to haul it in alone.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I’d have to haul it in alone.
Don't worry your anchor weighs less in the PNW. [per SBO experts], just don't head down below Latitude 20°.:cowbell:

Mine weighs 75 lbs and my boat is bigger than yours!;)
Jim...

PS: How is the snow?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Don't worry your anchor weighs less in the PNW. [per SBO experts], just don't head down below Latitude 20°.
That's true. Cold air is denser so the atmospheric pressure helps buoy heavy objects.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Cold air is denser so the atmospheric pressure helps buoy heavy objects.
Well...
Don't forget the offsetting snow weight.
And...
More dense air actually pushes down on the boat.:doh:
But...
The sails will love the extra push!!:)
Jim...