Racing in February on Galveston Bay

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Around 42 degrees at start time, almost 25 degrees below normal yesterday. But, still a great turnout for the GBCA Icicle Rum Race #5. It's also their "Judge Smails Regatta" and some came out in costume. My costume was a hat this year.
We did lousy. First two legs were both upwind with almost constant headers, last leg DDW. No reaching at all to give us any kind of a chance. We did manage to pass a Hunter 41, a Catalina 380, and a Jeanneau 44 on the last leg wing on wing.
A couple new crew members for this race, some forum posters may be familiar with one of them. When I was editing the video, I was wondering what the 59 year old was doing on the winch while the 19 year old was at the helm.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
A header is always a lift if you tack, right?? ;-)
You're right, but I was trying to do the "long" tack first to the layline on both upwind legs. And I was being lazy, but we did tack on a couple headers. On the first leg I was also trying to pick a good time and spot to shake out the reef in the main without losing too much ground. There were gusts to 18 knots before the start and I thought a reef in the main would lessen heeling and leeway, probably should have started with a full main. Forecast said the wind would fall off and it took way too long to get the reef out. Should have just used the traveler and mainsheet to spill the top until the wind fell off, like someone preaches.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Tell me about cold it’s 30’s. Snowing. We just crossed Georgia Strait 20 nm with 6ft swells and 20 knots breeze sustained and hit our buoy mark within 200 yards visibility ended at 2 nm. And our helm @Ward H even though a first timer was a quick learner keepin the boat on course and riding the waves.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
It was great to have Simon on the boat and I hope he is able to crew with us again soon. He is a very capable sailor and great guy. He has an appreciation for boats and sailing that's good to see in someone his age. One of the great things about sailing is the other sailors and boatowners you get to meet.
I'm the one that has a lot to learn. I sail and race because it's fun and I don't take it too seriously and labor over every detail enough. We'd probably do better if I did. Winning is fun, too and I'll listen to all the free advise I can get. But, it's just club class and I race a twenty year old Hunter with different crew every other race. I'm mostly just glad and lucky to be able to get out on the water a lot. Saturday was not a day I would have picked to go sailing if there wasn't a race, on Sunday the temps were back up close to 70.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
You're right, but I was trying to do the "long" tack first to the layline on both upwind legs. And I was being lazy, but we did tack on a couple headers. On the first leg I was also trying to pick a good time and spot to shake out the reef in the main without losing too much ground. There were gusts to 18 knots before the start and I thought a reef in the main would lessen heeling and leeway, probably should have started with a full main. Forecast said the wind would fall off and it took way too long to get the reef out. Should have just used the traveler and mainsheet to spill the top until the wind fell off, like someone preaches.
That's always a bit of a challenge when you have one leg much longer than the other. But if the mark is between the laylines, you should almost always tack on headers in oscillating breeze. At that point, that leg BECOMES the longer tack. If you don't do this you'll probably are going to get beat by a boat that does. If this forces you to a layline at some point, then so be it.

While it takes good crew-work and trim, you should (like you mention) always set for the lighter expected conditions and deal with the extra pressure when it there with trim.

You need to find a way to lure your crew to the rail. You'll never win breezy races with people sitting in the cockpit!

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
I’m going to guess that you still have a lot to learn.
There's always things to learn! That's one of the reasons I love sailing, because it's not just something you learn and then you're done. There's endless knowledge through different skills, tactics and habits that makes each sailor different, and I love learning new things from them!

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
You need to find a way to lure your crew to the rail. You'll never win breezy races with people sitting in the cockpit!
I know, I know, but when most of your regular crew is late 50's and 60's, they enjoy the comfort and safety of the cockpit. The windward rail is cold and wet and as soon as you get a little settled and comfortable, the skipper calls for a tack!
When I do get my son to bring younger crew, they want to stay close to the beer and are more worried about "Instagramming" than windward performance. The hard core rail riders are on the hard core racing boats, not a Hunter 340.
I do try to lead by example, I got a couple of the crew on the windward cabin top for a while last race!
VID00003 (3).mp4_snapshot_23.56_[2019.02.12_17.55.20].jpg

I know, not the same as the mid lifeline wrenching your gut with your arms and legs hanging way out, that wins races! I will buy the beer for any crew I can get to do that the whole windward leg.

Last edited:

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
That's always a bit of a challenge when you have one leg much longer than the other. But if the mark is between the laylines, you should almost always tack on headers in oscillating breeze. At that point, that leg BECOMES the longer tack. If you don't do this you'll probably are going to get beat by a boat that does. If this forces you to a layline at some point, then so be it.

While it takes good crew-work and trim, you should (like you mention) always set for the lighter expected conditions and deal with the extra pressure when it there with trim.

RIP, Stuart Walker!

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
There's always things to learn! That's one of the reasons I love sailing, because it's not just something you learn and then you're done. There's endless knowledge through different skills, tactics and habits that makes each sailor different, and I love learning new things from them!
Keep up the good work and attention to detail. I still learn every race!

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
OutrajeHYC1.jpg
This is Galveston Bay - J/24 TX Circuit Regatta - Beasley Cup. -- Yee Ha! The edge of control! Bow up, Crew back to keep the rudder working! Fun times had by All! We are 1427.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
View attachment 161276 This is Galveston Bay - J/24 TX Circuit Regatta - Beasley Cup. -- Yee Ha! The edge of control! Bow up, Crew back to keep the rudder working! Fun times had by All! We are 1427.
Fun times! Looks like you just gibed, which will make the next 30 seconds on USA95 very interesting.