DIY NavPod help

Aug 14, 2011
Hunter 35.5 Legend PCYC Shediac, NB
I just purchased a new chartplotter and would like to install it flush mounted in a pod. After looking everywhere I have found out that the NAVPod our out of my price range and would like to fabricate my own housing.
I am looking for any help, guidance, videos or instruction that you may have to share. My preference would be to make one out of fibreglass or similar material.

Thanks

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Thoughts.
Fiberglass construction would allow you to make your own design. Create mold then follow basic fiberglass construction techniques. Here is a link to Andy’s website Boatworks Today. He produces high quality YouTube videos on boat building and repair.

Maine Sail has a link to a table he designed for chart plotter. It fits on a binnacle Guard. https://marinehowto.com/chart-plotter-mount-for-edson-pedestals/

Best of luck with your project. Send pictures of your work.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
It would be great to send pictures of your space too. Include some basic dimensions.
Do you have any CAD software or drafting experience?

-Will (Dragonfly)

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Check YouTube for video series on fiberglass construction. For rounded forms, you can start with high density foam blocks from a craft or construction supply.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Unless you don't value your time at all, I'm not sure NavPods are really that expensive, when you consider how important they are to protect your not inexpensive electronics.
It would take a novice fiberglass craftsman quite a bit of time and materials to come out with something as well built and aesthetically pleasing as the NavPods.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I see many use the bracket that comes with chartplotter and mount at helm
and easy cheap use piece starboard for mounting and easy to remove and store away.

Aug 3, 2012
Unless you don't value your time at all, I'm not sure NavPods are really that expensive, when you consider how important they are to protect your not inexpensive electronics.
It would take a novice fiberglass craftsman quite a bit of time and materials to come out with something as well built and aesthetically pleasing as the NavPods.
Plus 1 on that! Even simple hatches take a week... the last 15% of the task takes 80% of the time: the finishing or painting.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I faced the same issue years ago when I bought a Raymarine Radar/Chartplotter. I was able to find a brand new Navpod that would fit my instrument on eBay for about 25 cents on the dollar. The hardest part was cutting the face (you only get one shot at this) and then snaking the wires with the connector ends thru the mounting tubes.
In any event, I recommend looking for a used Navpod. They make really nice enclosures and although I am a confirmed DIYer, I don't think I could make an enclosure that is as nice- Regardless of the time involved. Above my pay grade.....

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I agree that NavPods are well designed and constructed. Other than the upcharge for the “marine” use designation I don’t really understand why they are so darned costly.
(If it weren’t for the aesthetics, I would opt for a appropriately sized Rubbermaid tub from Lowes with a plywood reinforcement under the lid. Sturdy, watertight, easy access for installation. Just kidding...)

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
he hardest part was cutting the face (you only get one shot at this)
I agree that you don't want to mess that part up. If you do, however, or if you buy a used one with a hole that's just a little too big, it is possible to use Starboard as an adapter. Our yard did that for us this summer after lightning disabled our old chartplotter. All of the new chartplotters are wide-screen, about the same width as the original but not as high. The yard cut a piece of starboard to cover the hole and routed its edge at a nice radius. Then they glued it over the old hole and installed the new plotter in it. It pretty much looks like it belongs there.

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
Another thing nice about the Navpod is often you can buy one that is already pre-cut for your particular chartplotter and control head (or other instrument).

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I always chuckle a bit when the owner of a 35 foot boat says that a small fiberglass box is out of their price range! ;^)

That being said, the are kinda costly for what they are and do. But you have to remember, this is a very small volume business.

Aug 3, 2012
You could also use G10 to make a new face and re-cut it if it was cut too large.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I don’t really understand why they are so darned costly.
Most people don't understand how small the pleasure craft sailboat market is. It really has little to do with "the upcharge for the “marine” use designation" and a lot more to do with the very small number of items one can sell to such a small market and the quality that a reputable manufacturer must use for the saltwater environment, if they want their product to last and be rated as good.
For instance, the appearance of 304 and 316 stainless steel are the same, but the cost is significantly more for the 316, which will last much longer in a saltwater environment. So, if you are looking at two similar products by different manufacturers and one is considerably cheaper than the other, you must ask yourself why. Most likely, it is because one company is using inferior materials.
However, in some cases, if you don't consider the value of your time, with sufficient research one can find the exact same product manufactured for a different industry at a much better price. Most often I find the food service industry has the same parts of the same quality at a lower price. But it can take hours and hours of searching, sometimes because it is called something different by the other industry.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Most people don't understand how small the pleasure craft sailboat market is. It really has little to do with "the upcharge for the “marine” use designation" and a lot more to do with the very small number of items one can sell to such a small market and the quality that a reputable manufacturer must use for the saltwater environment, if they want their product to last and be rated as good.
For instance, the appearance of 304 and 316 stainless steel are the same, but the cost is significantly more for the 316, which will last much longer in a saltwater environment. So, if you are looking at two similar products by different manufacturers and one is considerably cheaper than the other, you must ask yourself why. Most likely, it is because one company is using inferior materials.
However, in some cases, if you don't consider the value of your time, with sufficient research one can find the exact same product manufactured for a different industry at a much better price. Most often I find the food service industry has the same parts of the same quality at a lower price. But it can take hours and hours of searching, sometimes because it is called something different by the other industry.
That's it exactly. Take Navpod. They look at their average COGS (cost of goods sold) ($125?), and the expected sales volume, which is measured in the thousands. Add a margin to get to retail price ($450?). Multiply. There's your business. What do they need to sell at to make a going concern out of it? As you can see, they don't give them away. The good news for them is there is very low price elasticity. If you need one you buy one. Mostly.

Aug 3, 2012
Yeah, there really is not a large market. Think of the many specialty makers. How many NavPods can they really sell unless they get a couple dozen manufacturers in addition to retail. Even then, they would be a small maker.

Aug 14, 2011
In Eastern Canada I ma looking at around $850-1000

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
You should expand your horizons. Unless you’re looking for a flight deck, you can find them for less than that!

Aug 14, 2011
I always chuckle a bit when the owner of a 35 foot boat says that a small fiberglass box is out of their price range! ;^)

That being said, the are kinda costly for what they are and do. But you have to remember, this is a very small volume business.
I agree and dont normally cheap out, However I am very thrift and look for value. The money they want for an empty resin box is kinda robbery. lol