Les and John’s 2019 EXTREME Winter Cruise

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
This is fun???? :confused:
I often hear about keeping your boat in the water year round, and sailing. So this is what that means! Oh, now I get it...

We have that, 'year round sailing' too! :)

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Tom; that snow is photo-shopped in. Never happens out West ( not often anyway).

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
A fun sail across Georgia Strait. 6ft swells. 20 knots of breeze. Arrived at intended pass into the Gulf Islands. Portier Passage. Seas calmed down. Powered about 90 minutes to Annette Inlet where we are now at anchor. Resting. Celebrating. Snow falling.

We are snug in Annette Harbor. Michael we will be visiting Saturna Island Harbor Tomorrow Monday if Michael can greet us. So far the only brave soul to meet us has Ben the Eagles Fan. Ward. Think about it. He flew 3000 miles to the west coast. Met the boat spot on time. And then took the helm in Georgia Strait when the Coast Guard were shouting Small Crafts Advisories. He did a great job learning to ride the waves and keep the sail full as we sailed west to the Gulf Islands.

Let us know if your upto a greet Michael

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Beam reach at 7 kts. What could be better? The Captain is down where it's warm and the lowly crew are out in the cold.All is good.
The only time down in the cabin was to pee or prepare breakfast or lunch for the crew. Hot cakes with real maple syrup, hot beverage of choice. Hot hardy soup for lunch. Oh and wash all the dirty dishes.

Jan 5, 2017
Les, that's what a host does. Captains need to have better control. ( at least it's warm slaving over a hot stove)

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Oh and wash all the dirty dishes
Chief cook and bottle washer. Better there than on deck, I say. Close up the companionway hatch, turn up the furnace, let those hardy souls with snow drifts in their face enjoy the misery cold.

Oct 22, 2014
@TomY you have the same conditions only there you call it 3 months of summer sailing
:liar::laugh:
A couple of years ago I coxed Stu to come out sailing and we had sunshine and unusually warm almost balmy days. If this was 2 weeks ago we would have the same. But the East coast boys got tired of the winter and I believe they pushed it west just to snow on our parade.

Well you cannot stop a determined west coast sailor. We may be converting Ward into a west coast sailor.

Oct 22, 2014
Yes he is. We are sorry you were not able to join us. This time.
Maybe a summer adventure and we could encourage Sue as well.

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
Just read 4"_8" snow in Seattle, you're gonna have to dig your way off the pier,dig your car out when you get back. Better stay until June.

Oct 22, 2014
That is what may happen when we get back to the port. Our concern is the water temps in Everett. We made out way out in slush that wanted to call it self Ice. After we left the Port closed the Marina due to Ice... :yikes:

So far we have been in water.. The temp according to the Canadian weather station was 42 in the strait. No swimming from the boat allowed.

We are snug in the cabin. Temp is 66. The Burbon is straight up and the Lasagna cooking in the oven smells great. Ward is downloading pictures for an after dinner show. Les is remembering last years Anacortes experience when the wind was howling and the 2018 winter cruise has him changing the starter as I sail therought eh beauty of Wasp Passage.

Oct 22, 2014
Update. The snow continues to fall.
5BD1E771-B753-4DD9-80EF-993D28413E32.jpeg
Maybe an inch plus has fallen in the past hour. Is there a volume of the snow that could cause the boat to flip?

Jan 5, 2017
Maybe when it out weights the keel. But snow floats so it should be OK and the warm water will melt it quickly.

Oct 22, 2014
We have a dustpan that is held together with the sailors rescue tool “DUCT TAPE”

Oct 22, 2014
If we fail to show up Michael. Send the Canadian Coast Guard to Annette Inlet.