Mantus anchor

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Just in case any 310 owners are wondering, the Mantus anchor fits fine on the 310 bow roller. I wasn't sure it would.
bob
That is a nice fit! But you need to secure it better than that. Snug it back against the bow roller with a stout snub. Either a cleat in the locker from the shackle, or a link to the hole in the retrieval hole in the shank.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I failed to cleat mine properly a couple months ago, and it self-launched before the boat had gone fifty feet. I didn't see it happen. Stopped us cold, obviously. Had me scratching my head and saying what the HELL? ... till I saw a laser-straight length of three-strand extending aft from below the transom! I was just glad it happened right away, and that the prop didn't get involved!!

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
We can't see how your anchor is secured, since your locker hatch covers the shackle, but like Gunni said, it should be well secured. My anchor's shackle is exposed so I tie a length of line through it and the eye on the forestay baseplate. In addition, I secure the chain to a snap-over-center cam lock in the anchor locker.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I failed to cleat mine properly a couple months ago, and it self-launched before the boat had gone fifty feet. I didn't see it happen. Stopped us cold, obviously. Had me scratching my head and saying what the HELL? ... till I saw a laser-straight length of three-strand extending aft from below the transom! I was just glad it happened right away, and that the prop didn't get involved!!
We were walking by a cove on Mt. Desert Island in Maine one morning, watching a pristine yacht raise anchor. They were motoring away when an ungodly rattle of chain falling filled the air. The boat stopped immediately and once again retrieved the anchor that had not been secured on deck.

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
I spent all afternoon on securing it and actually have it secured 4 different ways but intentionally it does not look like it. The anchor is top heavy in the roller and wants to tip forward. Have the roll bar tied off as seen in the picture. Also have the shank secured with a strap to keep it down. Then have the chain secured on the drum and cleat and also have a line from the anchor shank tied off on the windlass drum.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Ha! I didn't notice the line from the roll bar to the pulpit until you pointed it out. Keep your boat knife handy. You might need to deploy that anchor quickly some day.

Jan 17, 2013
Ha! I didn't notice the line from the roll bar to the pulpit until you pointed it out. Keep your boat knife handy. You might need to deploy that anchor quickly some day.
Yes, now I have too much security! Roll bar is connected with a stainless carabiner so easy to release...

Jan 17, 2013
Save some hardware. Get a Johnson cleat on your pulpit and loop it through the anchor roll bar. Done.
Stu...can you be more specific because this may be what I was looking for. Googled Johnson cleat and am not sure what and where you mean?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Stu...can you be more specific because this may be what I was looking for. Googled Johnson cleat and am not sure what and where you mean?
I'll find a picture, give me til tomorrow?
PS How about now?
The cleat is on the inside of the horizontal lower SS.
IMG_20160824_190559 (Medium).jpg

Last edited:

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Some boats can use a couple of solid rubber bungy cords to secure their anchor. I use two short ones hooked to the chain inside the chain locker and stretched to the U bolt where the anchor rode ends. Keeps everything rattle free and secure. Takes about five seconds to disconnect. You only need one cord, the second is a safety.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
With all due respect, securing an anchor is not a job for cords, bungees and ny-straps. The loads in a rough seaway are too much, and the potential problems of a loose anchor are too catastrophic. Something as simple as a snubber with chain hook attached to the shackle and tensioned to a cleat in the anchor locker or on deck will do. If you have proper ground tackle you should have a section of chain attached to your anchor in which case you can use a chain tensioner. An elegant, secure method that works with one hand.

Windlasses fail, or are inadvertently activated, so they are not a foolproof method for securing the anchor.

Whatever the solution you need to be able to deploy your ground tackle very quickly. Emergency scenarios like engine failures while navigating your marina approaches, or sail and running rigging failures approaching a lee shore are both high drama and split second situations. You and your crew need to be able to release your ground tackle in very short order, and probably on a pitching deck in adverse conditions with your hair on fire. Think of your anchor and ground tackle as your emergency brake - you don’t want to have 4 handles and a button to make it work. And you don’t want 30 to 60 lbs of iron going weightless on the foredeck while you are occupied with bringing the boat under control.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
45# Suncor Plowmaster
D5E511F9-6941-4D31-9F69-E4371BAAB9F4.jpeg

I say, either stow it when underway or put a pin, or retractable bolt (see above), through the shank and mount that can be quickly pulled for rapid deployment. Might have to build a U-shaped “shroud” over top of mount or build up the sides some, from the appearance.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hey Bob

We were just at the Vancouver Boat Show. They had a couple of anchors on display. Salesman suggested these as anchors guaranteed to keep a 30 ft boat in place in the Gulf Islands off Vancouver Island.
E32D4FCF-9388-4160-BD64-2746F6DD2EE7.jpeg
For perspective I stand 5ft 10. And theshanks of these stood above my waist.
Pretty sure there would be a fitting issue and loading them on a boat would affect the balance. But on the plus side once deployed the boat would need to chafe through the line before it got away. Guaranteed not to drag.