Green Flash

Feb 2, 2010
Island Packet 37 Hull #2 Harpswell Me
I have seen it twice, once in Puerto Rico and once somewhere else, the chances are greatly increased and inversely proportional to the amount of rum consumed.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
I onc
The oddest thing I’ve seen was two sunsets in one evening. The sun went down but a few minutes later we saw it again. We realized it was a mirage. The image of the sun was reflecting off the clouds.
I've seen a strange one too. When Haley Bop (comet) was visible, I was on a test flight off the Baha coast flying Northwest parallel the coast toward Washington . I saw it set in the west then rise again the West. I never figured out the geometry of that. We were flying Mach 0.84 at fl410 if I remember correctly.

I migh be crazy too.

Ken

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
not even once the whole time I was in the Indian ocean on a submarine.
:yikes::laugh:
I never thought the Navy gathered the crew on the fan tail for an evening sundowner.

Guess that’s what they mean when you hear the phrase “The New Navy”. Don’t even have to wait for shore leave.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I never saw it, not even once the whole time I was in the Indian ocean on a submarine.
The secret is to shoot off a ballistic missile at the sun just before the flash. Watch closely and, depending upon the type of missile, the green flash also comes with a mushroom cloud.

The recommended method of watching for the green flash.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
The secret is to shoot off a ballistic missile at the sun just before the flash. Watch closely and, depending upon the type of missile, the green flash also comes with a mushroom cloud.

The recommended method of watching for the green flash.

-Will (Dragonfly)

"The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done.
Two suns in the sunset
Could be, the human race is run ..."

Just a little Pink Floyd, for everyone's enjoyment. :pimp:

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I onc

I've seen a strange one too. When Haley Bop (comet) was visible, I was on a test flight off the Baha coast flying Northwest parallel the coast toward Washington . I saw it set in the west then rise again the West. I never figured out the geometry of that. We were flying Mach 0.84 at fl410 if I remember correctly.

I migh be crazy too.

Ken
You might have been at sufficient altitude and airspeed to catch up with the sunset. When I was in the Air Force, our pilots often flew west from California to Okinawa, and they routinely caught up with the sunset. They, however, were flying at Mach 3+ and at 80,000'+. SR-71.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
@ Ken Cross; Interesting.. From our friends at Google:
"The answer is 650 km/hr (403 mph)along the Arctic Circle. As you move closer to the equator, traveling along lines of latitude, your speed would need to increase — up to 1670 km/hr at the Equator. The Sun appears to revolve around the Earth once per day"
Soooo.. at your speed of 0.84Mach (about 644MPH) you could indeed have caught the sun line as you move north ..

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
OK so we’re sitting on the boat with another couple having some evening beverages and the subject of the Green Flash comes up. We were all there the other night so we compared the atmospheric conditions. They were similar with cumulus clouds just above the horizon and the sky very red as the sun touched the horizon. Then just as it dipped out of sight we again saw the Green Flash. Twice in three days and conditions might be the same tomorrow. I’ll have the camera ready.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
@ Ken Cross; Interesting.. From our friends at Google:
"The answer is 650 km/hr (403 mph)along the Arctic Circle. As you move closer to the equator, traveling along lines of latitude, your speed would need to increase — up to 1670 km/hr at the Equator. The Sun appears to revolve around the Earth once per day"
Soooo.. at your speed of 0.84Mach (about 644MPH) you could indeed have caught the sun line as you move north ..
But then you would get there yesterday.

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
We have seen it several times. Must be very good visibility all the way to the sun with no clouds or salt spray from wind. It's usually seen as a green halo on the surface of the water within a second of when the upper limb of the sun sinks below the horizon. But a couple of times have the seen the green halo flash upwards like a bubble bursting. A way to prolong the flash is to sit down and the moment it starts quickly stand up. Okay, so you don't believe me, but I'm convinced it works. If it doesn't work for you, at least it is good exercise.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Would this be a good time to mention I also envy those who have seen the Northern Lights?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Would this be a good time to mention I also envy those who have seen the Northern Lights?
Well, first you need to move Yankee country. :biggrin:

I used to live on a good sized lake in Central NY (Oneida Lake for those who are curious). One evening I was sitting by the shore relaxing and watching the clouds across the lake. They seemed brighter and bluer than usual. Then they started reaching up from the horizon, then they started shimmering. For a moment I thought it was a flashback from my youth, then realized it was the Northern Lights. Not as bright or colorful as they are further North, yet still beautiful.