Green Flash

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Hi all,

We are in Great Guana, Exumas and had 10 dinghys rafted up for sunset. Amidst the carrying on we were teasing a woman who claimed to see the Green Flash at sunset. So we were anxiously watching the sunset and yes we did see the Green Flash and it continued for about three seconds. Everyone was stunned, young and old cheering, what a sight.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Enough folks have seen it. I once read the explanation for it, but it escapes me now.
Ken

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Hi all,

We are in Great Guana, Exumas and had 10 dinghys rafted up for sunset. Amidst the carrying on we were teasing a woman who claimed to see the Green Flash at sunset.
How many times did she say "I TOLD YOU SO!"?? :laugh:

Congratulations. Wish I had been there!!

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I’m totally impressed. Seriously. Thanks for sharing!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
We have always been on the lookout for the green flash. I stood outside The Green Flash restaurant on Sanibel Island for awhile, but that didn't work.
Yep. I've looked for it there too.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 340 Forked River, NJ
We see the green flash all the time from the beach at sunset over the Gulf of Mexico in Naples, Florida. The sky and cloud conditions have to be just right.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I'd eat a FLOCK of crows to see a green flash. Since I know from experience a tequila worm won't do the trick. :(
Go to the West Coast, any west coast, (Fla, USA, UK or Peru) though I have seen one at sunrise, while I was searching desperately for a Canary Island, ANY Canary Island (but that's another story), and find a place with an unobstructed view of the horizon, near sunset. Again, the clouds have to be behind the sun or nonexistent, look at the horizon just as the upper limb (the uppermost arc of the orb of the sun) of the sun slides below the horizon. The green flash is on the horizon, not up in the sky and (I don't give two hoohaas what the scientists say) what you are seeing is the yellow sun through the blue water for a second or two, as the sun sets.
I've seen it hundreds of times but have never been able to get a picture, though one bar in the Keys has one prominently displayed. About one out of five charters conditions are right, so our guests sometimes get to share in the experience with us.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
The oddest thing I’ve seen was two sunsets in one evening. The sun went down but a few minutes later we saw it again. We realized it was a mirage. The image of the sun was reflecting off the clouds.
You sure it wasn't the grog ;)