Mid Winter Cruise Approaching

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Mid winter cruise (Feb., 16 - 23) nearing. Sail plan includes as much sail time on the water as possible. Likely will head in the direction of Friday Harbor to meet up with Tom Burgess on his live aboard Dana 24 and a cheese burger deluxe at Haley's pub. Unsure after that. If Stu is around, it might involve a Haro Strait crossing to Maple Bay. We'll see what the weather forecast has in store as the date nears.

John Shepard and Les Troyer have sail plans around that time. Perhaps a meet up in the vicinity?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hi Terry. We will be on the water Feb 6th thru the 18th. 15th Poulsbo, 16th Bell Harbor. 17/18th back to Everett.
We will have a posting of our progress and meet-ups.
Hope you have great weather for your spring break.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Terry, I plan to meet these "Wild & Crazy Dudes" at Thetis on Sunday, Feb 10, assuming their wind gods cooperate for their crossing of Georgia Strait next Sunday. They plan to anchor out the next night and the next day go to the Saturna wharf to see Michael. I'll meet up with them on Wednesday at Friday Harbor (I'll check in at Roche while they're at Saturna). Then they head south to Seattle and I'll head back to Maple Bay.
WARNING: The Dec. 20th wind storm ripped half of G dock out. Those boats, all of them BIG, have been relocated to the guest H dock, which now appears to be full. Plus the fuel dock is out of business, because of questions about the integrity of the line from the shore to the end of the dock. If you plan to come up here, Terry, please call them first and ask about the status.

Dec 25, 2000
please call them first and ask about the status.
Thanks for the heads up Stu. Will do, weather permitting. At the moment we have a heavy snow underway here in Mukilteo. Three inches and growing. That big fluffy kind that sticks to everything.

Oct 22, 2014
That sounds like s failure to control the weather. You need more global warming less climate change. Climate change seems to be weather cold conditions. Not conducive to winter sailing. :)

Dec 25, 2000
Snow finally stopped, but the temp has dipped below 30 degrees, so all that road slush from today will freeze, with a four inch layer of snow on top. Wonderful. Just wonderful.:cuss:

Oct 22, 2014
Oh boy. School Snow day. No buses. Or you get to follow snow routes. No hills.

Dec 25, 2000
No hills.
Unless the temps really warm up before morning (unlikely), no school tomorrow. Bummer, that means one more school day at the end.

My route has lots of hills, as many others do, some pretty steep and hard turns. We do have snow routes, but those usually kick in on take home.

Oct 22, 2014
E safe.

My school teacher bride used to cheer for snow days as often as the kids.

Now retired. I think she miss them. They always felt like free vacation days.

Dec 25, 2000
Monday morning, no school. Snowed all last night. Almost ten inches and temps in the low 20s; 21 this morning. Been many years since we've had a snow like this.
Snow201913.jpg

Snow201914.jpg

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Looks like you didn't pay your anti snow tax, Terry. I'd be embarrassed to post a picture of all 3 of our snow flakes!
That is as pretty as a Christmas Card however.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
I hope to. I don't have heat, so the weather will determine, as well as on-the-water conditions.
Hope you make it. Have a gen. set and heater if needed. Gov. dock has no power. Could find you a warm and cozy if needed.

Dec 25, 2000
Tuesday and no school due to hazardous road conditions. Eighteen degrees this morning when I got up. Clear and sunny so...

Oct 22, 2014
Terry how is the sail going? Hear from the weatherman that you could be in for a bit of the white stuff tomorrow and Saturday.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2000
Beautiful place Terry. Is it you or someone else who's the gardener? Very talented.
Hi Will, thanks for the very nice compliment. Patti (wife) gets full credit for how the yard looks in spite of all the white stuff. She is very handy with flowers and decorating.

Dec 25, 2000
Terry how is the sail going
Hi John, just got back this evening. Spent a very nice week on the water. Some sail time, but also motoring. After a couple of days in Friday Harbor visiting with Tom Burgess, headed for Blind Bay. Next day off to Eagle Harbor under sail. Very light wind until the east end of Harney Channel where the NE wind piped up. Crossing the mouth of east sound was hair raising with winds in the mid twenties. Very gusty; reading the water surface would show the approach so would pinch to ease the arriving pressure, then the wind would drop to 12 to 14, then back up to twenty five until it passed. that way over to Pevine Pass. Sheesh. Wear you out fighting that. All in all a very nice winter outing.

Some light snow today on my way over to visit John Lund. Sad to say, I stopped by his boat only to see the new owner so happy over his recent purchase. Many fond memories cruising with John. The new owner will move the boat over to Squim, its new home. I wished him well on his very nice Freedom 32. John seems to be doing well, unaware of what I had just learned. Will leave it to his daughter to break the news. He remains in high hopes of sailing his beloved and very nicely equipped Friehet II to distant waters. I suppose my day is coming, too. Not quite ready, however.

Oct 22, 2014
You're a tough bird Terry. Besides you owe me a couple of sails. I think there was a promised beer in Coopeville swinging from anchor. I got the anchor now. So once you get free from the bus and I get the engine working again on Hadley, I'm going to need a beer rendezvous.