Sea Scout Academy

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
Hey Everyone,

Good afternoon! All weekend, I've been at the Sea Base in Galveston for Sea Scout Academy. The program is designed to assist younger scouts in rank advancement, and older higher ranked scouts to earn certifications. Since I've already earned all my certs, I was selected to help teach a power boat handling course provided by Skipper Club. It was a great program; a local used boat dealer, Ron Hoover, even provided a couple basic center console boats for us to use during training. The kids cooperated, and learned very quickly; they were a great bunch.
Overnight, Sea Scouts ages 18+ were assigned to sleep on the Base's 104 ft. research cruiser, Baysmart. All eighteen bunks were full, and night watches were required. As the boatswain of the vessel, I was in charge of making the schedule and assigning watches to different crew members. That was a blast...
Three hours of sleep since Friday, and nonstop power boating and instructing over the weekend...someone is going to bed early tonight for sure. :)

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Simon, congrats on so many things - a successful weekend of sharing your knowledge and having fun, helping others earn additional credentials, and exercising your leadership skills. I really enjoy reading your posts, as they provide me insights into your character, and thereby give me some hope for (and faith in) the youth of this country. I hope your parents are proud of you.

Jan 26, 2020
S2 9.2A, Catalina 27, + Chesapeake Bay
Simon--Thank you for helping get the word out about Sea Scouting. Although the program has been around in the USA since 1912, I'm still amazed (and disappointed) when people ask if it's a "new" program, because they've never heard of it. So, keep up the good work! I didn't get introduced to sailing until I was in my 20s, so I can relate to every adult who says, "I wish I knew about Sea Scouts when I was younger."

For those who don't know, Sea Scouting is a program of the BSA for youth ages 14 (or 13 and finished 8th grade) to 21, that uses sailing, boating, SCUBA, paddle sports, and other activities on, under, and around the water to develop youth into adults of character who are confident leaders and capable team collaborators. And, while Sea Scouts is over 100 years old, Maritime Explorers is a relatively NEW program for Middle School-aged youth (6th- 8th grades), that seeks to expose youth to careers in the maritime and STEM disciplines through a variety of on-the-water and maritime-themed activities and mentorship by Sea Scouts, Seafarers, and Maritime Professionals. These programs support the youth who represent the recreational sailors and boaters and the professionals who will sustain the maritime industry in the future. For more information, visit Sea Scouts, BSA or to find a unit near you, visit Scout Me In | Boy Scouts of America

• Helpful
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Simon--Thank you
For more information, visit Sea Scouts, BSA or to find a unit near you, visit Scout Me In | Boy Scouts of America
:plus:

adult who says, "I wish I knew about Sea Scouts when I was younger."
I am one of those.

Maritime Explorers is a relatively NEW program for Middle School-aged youth (6th- 8th grades), that seeks to expose youth to careers in the maritime and STEM disciplines through a variety of on-the-water and maritime-themed activities...
I have always thought of sailing and boating as an exceptional foil for teaching Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
A few times last season we took groups of Sea Scouts out on Sapphire for a couple of hours each tour. Each tour started with Q&A about boating safety, launch precheck list, short discussion on the science of sailing, the kids were not allowed out of the cockpit and must wear a PFD, we ran up the St Clair River under the Bluewater Bridge (always a high light) out into Lake Huron, deployed the sails, sailed for an hour or so tacking several times during the hour and then back to the dock to pickup the next crew and adult supervisor.
Female sea scouts are always accompanied by a female supervisor (this is what society has come to). I really enjoy the enthusiasm and perspectives of the kids.
I know that they have run programs where after the race to Mackinac Island (roughtly 300 miles) the Sea Scouts will crew on the boat to bring her back. I would love to do this kind of passage, they are encouraged to keep a log book describing their experiences on the journey which helps them develop not only boating skills, but also writing skills. This return passage would include 3-4 overnight stays in marina's or on the hook (weather dependent).
SeaScouts.jpg

The Crew heading out on a tour

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Sea Scouts here have a Hinckley Bermuda 40. They help provide extra hands at yacht club functions like commissioning, where their uniforms and enthusiasm add to the occasion.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Way back when I was on scouts, I was immensely disappointed that there was no sea scouts chapter close enough for me to be able to participate. So I just went off and sailed as much as I could on my own. But I would have loved joining them if it had been possible. I wonder if things have changed today in the region where I grew up.

dj