Ericson 29 weaknesses?

Jan 16, 2019
Looking Cruiser Victoria, BC
Hello all,

I'm looking at an Ericson 29 in my area which has been listed recently for $7500CAD. It has wheel steering, roller furling, dodger, Volvo 2 cyl diesel, propane dickinson heater, and the rest appears original. The Volvo engine is too tall for the original housing, so a box sticks up about 4-6" to provide clearance. I haven't viewed the boat yet, so can't say how well this is constructed.

I've looked at two other Ericsons (29 and 30+), and both were significantly more than this one ($14K and 24K). How does the 29 sail compared to other boats of its vintage? The PHRF rating around 200 suggests it's a bit slower than most 27-29 footers, and it seems a bit heavier than most also. I like that Ericsons use encapsulated keels. The shroud chain plates on the 29 appear to be almost at the edge of the deck, so sheeting angles won't be as good as some other boats.

Where are the chainplates anchored? I could not seem them on the bulkheads in the photos. Are there any specific weaknesses in this boat that I should check for?

Thanks.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Hi @sgwright67
Had a E28+. Pretty solid boat. Chainplates were fastened to a cabin bulkhead. Our interest was in cruising, not racing, and we went from Victoria to Bella Bella. I would want to check out the mods to accommodate the Volvo engine. Good price if it's in decent shape.
Check out Ericson forum.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
We had a 29 many years ago and loved it. Don't plan on getting anywhere quickly or turning quickly (semi-full keel effects). Also, because of the full keel, engine power can be a consideration. We found our 5411 11HP 2blade prop could manage only 3 knots against a stiff breeze. It never leaked which is more than I can say for any boat we ever had subsequently.

Jan 16, 2019
Looking Cruiser Victoria, BC
We had a 29 many years ago and loved it. Don't plan on getting anywhere quickly or turning quickly (semi-full keel effects). Also, because of the full keel, engine power can be a consideration. We found our 5411 11HP 2blade prop could manage only 3 knots against a stiff breeze. It never leaked which is more than I can say for any boat we ever had subsequently.
Thanks, this is good to know, as there are lots of currents to contend with around here. The first 29 I looked at had a 4 cyl universal diesel, one of the type designed as a drop in Atomic 4 replacement, rated at 25hp. It also had a small bump in the engine lid, but only about 2", so the after bunk was a bit more functional. That example was a '74, with a survey value placed at $10K, even with core separation in the decks.
So if all else checks out, this one at $7500 seems to be decent value.

Mar 26, 2021
Erickson Erickson 29 Flagler Beach, FL
I just bought a 29' Erickson and am curious about the impeller for the engine raw water pump. The boat is a 1973 model and the engine is the original I believe. We decided to forgo the mechanical fuel pump and install an electrical one. Any comments are appreciated especially since the cabin sole has broken fiberglass in areas of the sole. I am hoping to replace entire sole with teak and holly and perhaps new floor tinbers

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Hello all,

I'm looking at an Ericson 29 in my area which has been listed recently for $7500CAD. It has wheel steering, roller furling, dodger, Volvo 2 cyl diesel, propane dickinson heater, and the rest appears original. The Volvo engine is too tall for the original housing, so a box sticks up about 4-6" to provide clearance. I haven't viewed the boat yet, so can't say how well this is constructed.

I've looked at two other Ericsons (29 and 30+), and both were significantly more than this one ($14K and 24K). How does the 29 sail compared to other boats of its vintage? The PHRF rating around 200 suggests it's a bit slower than most 27-29 footers, and it seems a bit heavier than most also. I like that Ericsons use encapsulated keels. The shroud chain plates on the 29 appear to be almost at the edge of the deck, so sheeting angles won't be as good as some other boats.

Where are the chainplates anchored? I could not seem them on the bulkheads in the photos. Are there any specific weaknesses in this boat that I should check for?

Thanks.
Not all Ericsons have encapsulated keels.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
First welcome to Sail Boat Owners. Congrats on your boat. Is this your first boat?

curious about the impeller for the engine raw water pump. The boat is a 1973 model and the engine is the original I believe.
Reportedly the Ericson 29 had:
Auxiliary Power/Tanks (orig. equip.)
Make: Universal​
Model: Atomic 4​
Type: Gas​
HP: 30​
The motor and pump, you have, is anybodies guess as a boat from 1973, more than 40 years old, could have been modified by previous owners. Perhaps you can identify the engine in your boat, and the pump that is being used by serial numbers or labels embossed on the engine and pump.

With that as a start what are you curious about?

Mar 26, 2021
Erickson Erickson 29 Flagler Beach, FL
Thanks for reply, finally have my E 29 back at my home dock and working on it is now possible w/o driving my car one inch. I am serious now if anyone has drawings of the companionway hatch? I rebuilt the forward hatch and now need to turn my attention to the companionway. I would consider a used one if it is in fair condition and close to Florida for shipping. I understand that Pacific Seacraft bought the existing plans and drawings but I have not been able to contact them.

Jul 20, 2017
Ericson 29 Muskegon
I have a 1975 with the encapsulated lead keel. Very hard to sail in a wind upwind over 15. Wanted to round up. After two years I sent the rudder to SanDiego, They have rebuilt a ton of these and had a form already made. Have sailed four years with new rudder and it was a miracle cure. I can point higher and never have that feeling that I'm about to lose control.