Hunter 240 trailer problems

Chern

Dec 19, 2017
Hunter Hunter 240 Sidney
I bought Hunter 240 with a single axle trailer a year ago and towed it from upstate NY to Florida Anna Maria last spring. Everything worked fine. Two weeks ago decided to take it back home from Florida. About hundred miles after we started noticed that the axle bent downward in the next hour the tire on the trailer blown. I found a new tire and made another 500 miles and another tire blown and trailer axle looked bent downward even more. Thank to good people found a place to leave it on the horse farm at the border of South and North Carolina near Lumberton. Now I am home and and getting phone calls from from somebody who looked at the trailer there. They are telling me that the trailer is too small for my boat and I need double axle and there is no way to repair it. I though that it's not a big deal to install new axle and if I'd have it home I think I would do it myself but I cannot do anything when it's 700 miles away. Any ideas? If I really need a new trailer where can I find a used one? If I'll buy a new one do I need a crane to move the boat from one trailer to another? Please help !!!!!
Alex

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Alex, 24' footer might fit on a car trailer. U-haul rents both dollies and trailers. As for the trailer itself, you should be able to re-axle it. As it softened axle bent in the middle it would have added camber to the tires causing them to ride on the side walls and not the tread.
If you can not find a large enough car trailer, consider locating a vehicle recovery business that uses a 3ton truck and a low boy gooseneck trailer.

Sep 10, 2012
Hunter 450 Gulfport, Florida
The boat is certainly light enough to travel on a single axle as that was how they were delivered, that is a big advantage to dropping the water ballast. A downward bend would indicate a serious failure pending. Having had and towed a 240 many many miles there is nothing insufficient in the arrangement. Why the axle could "soften" is bizarre but it would seem easier to replace the axle and resume the trip rather than loading the trailer and boat on something to carry it. Axles aren't cheap but neither is having someone haul it hundreds of miles and then replace it anyway.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Chern
Trailer came from Majic Tilt for the 240. It only needs one axle. Bent axle needs to be replaced. Period.

Call magic tilt in Florida and find out the mfg. and model of the axle. Then send me a private message with your number.

Former dealer in North Carolina now living in Virginia and familiar with the boat having introduced the boat for Hunter

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
That's assuming the trailer is the original and not something that was concocted. A single axle should be sufficient, and knowing the mounting dimensions, a replacement (drop in) should easily be available from a large number of places, quite probably close by the location of the trailer now.
Axle.jpg

Chern

Dec 19, 2017
Hunter Hunter 240 Sidney
@Chern
Trailer came from Majic Tilt for the 240. It only needs one axle. Bent axle needs to be replaced. Period.

Call magic tilt in Florida and find out the mfg. and model of the axle. Then send me a private message with your number.

Former dealer in North Carolina now living in Virginia and familiar with the boat having introduced the boat for Hunter
Thank you Dave, the trailer is Eazy Load and unfortunately the vin number is wrong. I called them and it looks like that over time the trailer was completely rebuilt. Now I guess the only thing I can do is try to find mechanic who will be willing to work with it. So far nobody wants. The question is can they they do it with the boat on the trailer

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Single #3500 axle is barely adequate. The trailer weighs around #950 the empty boat #2000, that leaves you with #500 for the beer, motor, spare tire, tool box, beer, and other stuff on the boat.

With that admonition it has lasted 20 years so a new axle will get you through longer than you will probably have the boat. I'd suggest not only replacing the axle but the springs and brakes as well. it is actually easier that way. Cut the bolts off the front of the springs pull the whole contraption out and put the new stuff in.

It's a shame you did not have the issue down here where it is much warmer to be working outside.

Good luck let us know how you made out.

Chern

Dec 19, 2017
Hunter Hunter 240 Sidney
You are right. I found vin number on registration and called Easy Load, the vin is for 12 foot boat trailer. It is impossible because Hunter fits perfectly on the boat and I towed it for 2000 miles with no problems. Unforunately I cannot measure it because I am 700 miles away and so far nobody there is willing to work with it

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
The question is can they they do it with the boat on the trailer
Yes, it is just no as easy. Not a complicated job. Should not take more than three or four hours unless it is the first time you've done it. Getting the axle off is 3/4s of the job.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Rick and Chern

I need VIN NUMBER and the size tire and rim to include load rang to verify max load. Chern, only send that vin number to me in a private message for security and year and let me call the mfg. Include phone number. A friend of mine has an elder sister that lives in Lumberton. I helped with the standard trailer from Magic Tilt and the load range was higher. Did you take any photos of boat and trailer
Dave

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
If you get to the point where you know the model and need to buy parts, like an axle and brake parts, and find it easier to have them shipped to some place where you can do the work, I used etrailer.com to order all new brake parts for my 23 trailer. They have a pretty wide selection and can be helpful on the phone.

Chern

Dec 19, 2017
Hunter Hunter 240 Sidney
Dave, I found vin number on the registration and called manufacturer. It came out during conversation that the vin number belongs to the 2001 12 foot trailer which is impossible because it fits perfectly my boat and I trailed for 2000 miles with no problems. The previous owner doesn't know anything about this because he bought trailer and boat already used. I am 700 miles away from the boat now and have no way to measure anything and cannot find anybody who is willing to do it there. I am still looking if I cannot find anybody I'll drive there and try to do whatever I can by myself. I hope I can find some place in this area where I can buy parts fast

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Rick Webb
The dry weight for a 240 is 2300 pounds while the dry weight of the 23.5 is 2000.

At first I read wrong vin number and the boat sits perfectly on the trailer. Then a vin number for a 12 Ft boat trailer modified. This does not make sense without photos of the actual boat and trailer. Then somewhere I read bent axle and if that is the case then tires not knowing which side blew out which needs to be addressed too, tires may be riding on the sidewalls throwing camber out. We do not know if tires are original or under inflated. Dry rotted and/or under inflated tires can cause blow outs. Could be a modified power boat trailer. Then the other thing was the owner given the right trailer title st time of sale???????
Until we know the answers I will not respond any further

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
The boat is certainly light enough to travel on a single axle as that was how they were delivered, that is a big advantage to dropping the water ballast. ...
...but if someone put the boat on the trailer without draining the water ballast, that might explain the bent axle.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@JimInPB
Boy I forgot that one but many thanks for pointing that out. Thank you sir. On I-95 once, I pulled over behind a Hunter 260 with an over heated engine on tow vehicle seeing tires a little low. Did not say who I was but offered to check tire pressure which was fine. He just bought it used. Then I noticed water seepage. Yep I then knew. Asked the owner to unlock the cabin which he was hesitant. Then a state trooper pulled up and standing beside the hull as I opened the valve to release 2000 pounds of water and soaked the trooper’s shoes and land pants. As I came out there stood one unhappy trooper who stated he was going to cite the boat with public ruination. I busted out laughing as the trooper was a sailor too. I mentioned I would go and get some water and antifreeze for the tow vehicle coming back and filling radiator. The owner thanked me. A month later came a thank you card for the help finding out from someone who advised him. I sent his check back but did not need the money but just return the favor for other sailors in dire straights

Chern

Dec 19, 2017
Hunter Hunter 240 Sidney
@Rick Webb
The dry weight for a 240 is 2300 pounds while the dry weight of the 23.5 is 2000.

At first I read wrong vin number and the boat sits perfectly on the trailer. Then a vin number for a 12 Ft boat ....
The VIN number is a big surprise for me. Please look at the pictures and tell if it is possible that this trailer is for 12 foot boat. The pictures are taking 10 minutes before we start that journey from florida to NY.
1. At the moment when I the boat was taken out of the water on the trailer certainly she had water. The valve was opened and I stopped 30 yards from the ramp to drain everything.
2. Pressure in the tires was checked and it was normal on both sides
3. Left blown first (pieces of rubber missing from inside because of the axle bent downward) and was replaced by a "new" one. Right tire not blown yet but is missing rubber on inside for the same reason and need replacement. That's why I stopped and left the boat in NC. The axle at that moment looked really bad, almost touching the ground.
4. I didn't know that this can happen with the axle otherwise i would pay attention because even on the pictures taken before the trip it is possible to see that the tires are leaning inward.
Thank you all for your help I still cannot find any mechanic or business in that area.

Attachments

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Somebody at some point in time probably drove it with water in it. Lugging it up the ramp and across the parking lot would NOT cause that kind of damage.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
It does not seem like that trailer was for a 12 foot boat. That would be half the length of yours, and the stern would end up around or just in front of the wheels. Doesn't seem like that would be the case if the trailer really was for a 12 footer. The wheels on yours appear to be just aft of the boat center, which is what I'd think is right.
The VIN on my '91 trailer is all but unreadable. Is it possible one or more numbers you recorded are wrong?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I could not tell but I am leaning to this boat being a 23.5 but not sure. I need the hull number.

As for the trailer, the guides on the trailer indicates it is a Hunter trailer built specifically for a 23.5 as I was involved with the design. Thus I need to know the VIN number what you have to confirm either you have the correct title or not given to you by the broker. If given the wrong title I can guide you on how to get a correct one.

I WOULD SUGGEST SENDING THE TRAILER AND HULL NUMBERS TO ME BY PRIVATE MESSAGE THRU FORUM AS THOSE ARE NUMBERS NOT TO BE POSTED ON THIS FORUM FOR SECUITY REASONS.

The trailer has a drop down or drop axle as in the diagram submitted by Meriachee which I am thankful for. If I recall the trailer side braces are welded into a V which is why I need to talk with Chern. I will send him a private message if I haven’t done already. There is more info which I need but the trailer is correct.

One thing to note. The hulls of the 23.5 and 240 were pretty much the same but dry weight was 300 more for the 240.