430 water in forward medicine cabinet

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 430 Shelter bay, Panama
the bottom shelf of the medicine cabinet in the fwd head collects water. I cannot find an active drip or drip line from above. top shelf is dry. any ideas? it seems to happen after it rains, I haven't been able to find any indication of where it is coming from though.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
My Guess is it coming through the deck to hull seal. I fixed mine on the aft medicine cabinet.
Jim...

PS: It may be condensate too.

Nov 1, 2007
-Hunter -430 Shediac, N.B.
Hi Monty if you ever confirmed that the water is coming from the deck and hull seal and if you have to remouve the rubber rail to reseal it proberly.
I have the same problem at three location.
Jean Guy

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I have solved my hull seal problem.
Mine were near the gate way stanchions, PORT [not Starboard] side. Those showed up in 3 locations on that Side.

In a PM with Monty, my better informed guess was condensate in the Medicine Cabinet.
Jim...

PS: I did not remove my rub rail to fix them.
PSS: I do know Port from Starboard. Long day here.:oops:

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2007
Hi James I have the leak on both side. What did you do to fixed? It seem to come not to fare from the gate and between the to closet in the front berth. I chesk during the rain but no luck.
Tks
Jean Guy

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Since you live in the ""Lobster Capital of the World", we might make a good deal for that secret info.:biggrin::biggrin:

Just kidding...

If you go to the either side deck there is a molded "hump" that the stanchions bolt through. That hump will take all rain and bow spray on the deck and drain it off in "spill ways" near Midship cleat and aft of the gate way.
We had to seal the top of the rub rail with clear caulking extending about 1 foot either side of the spillways.
Hard to describe, but at each end of the caulking, we built a tiny caulking "dam" so that water wound not run down the top of the rub rail and under it again.
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/bilge-water-in-02-460.193456/&highlight=Bilge
My post #9, and nobody seemed interested after that, so no pictures.
____
The stanchion bases and their reinforcement braces plus the deck hand grip are the only penetrations near the forward cabin closet and medicine cabinet.
This is the link on how to re-bed and seal those spots.
https://marinehowto.com/bed-it-tape/
By @mainesail. I looked at few of the stanchion bases and re-bedded them per that link. They were NOT the leaks.
The bracing screws could be. It would be very difficult to get much water around their bases to drip inside since they are bolted to the top of the "hump" with backer plates.

You might make sure your anchor closet lid channel and closet drains are open and clear too. You can use a shore water hose to verify those drains too. If the Port side drain there is NOT working then the drain hoses might be loose and a royal pain to fix.

This is a Port side picture of our boat prepared for Hurricane Nate [no damage BTW] for those who like to see what we are discussing.
PortSideNo Canvas.jpeg

Jim...

PS: A half dozen 1 kilo Lobsters would be fine.:pimp:

Nov 1, 2007
Reading at one of your post you mention caulking the rub rail. Is the rub rail normally caulk or is it caulk at the deck haul joint. My rub rail is not tight no caulking. I am getting the problem in heavy rain. Don't think their is much caulking between the rub rail and the hump on my boat. I got a leak on port and starboard. I rebed both cleat at midship that wasn't the problem. Before putting her away for the winter I went searching behind the cabinet and putting a light in a litte crammy place(hard to reach) and detected some water. I jump to the conclusion the deck seal. Your are confirming it. Can that rub rail be remove and recaulk the seal deck to hull or caulking between the rub rail and hump from bow to stern.

If you up to come help I'll feed you all the lobster you heart desire.

Jean Guy

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Is the rub rail normally caulk
No.
____
Can that rub rail be remove and recaulk the seal deck to hull
Yes.
The deck to hull is just a flat plate flange that is screwed and glued together.
_______
I caulked about 6 feet of mine [guessing ≈100 feet total] in the areas that all the deck water concentrated as it goes over board. My leak stopped.:)

But please note, caulking is a temporary stop. So far mine is working for 2 years.
The caulking I picked [in that above link] was meant for rubber to fiberglas, flex, bond in cold to hot changes, clear, and UV compatible. You must clean the both surfaces. I used a pressure washer.
It was a cheap and quick method to check if I was correct on the source of the water intrusion.

It doesn't take much of a hole to leak inside on a long steady rainfall.:(
______
I went searching behind the cabinet and putting a light in a litte crammy place(hard to reach) and detected some water.
That was happening to the aft cabin storage just left of the hanging closet. We stowed extra towels there and they would get soaked. Not anymore after our minor caulking.;)
______
If you up to come help I'll feed you all the lobster you heart desire.
The Admiral was born in Canada and was tempting to make the trip. Now she loves the warmer weather.:)
Jim...

PS: I will try to take some pictures soon and post them here, weather permitting.;)

Nov 1, 2007
Tks for the help was at the boat toady 2;30 hrs away where I store it for the winter. Your wife is right lot of snow at the boat.
Come spring I will probably remouve the rub rail and rebed if we have an early spring.
When you caulk that 6ft did you remove the rub rail for the 6 ft.
Jean Guy

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
When you caulk that 6ft did you remove the rub rail for the 6 ft.
No.
Just the gap between, the rail and the hull. Very thin gap. It was just enough to prevent the water from the spillway to continually feed the "sneaky leak".:)
Jim...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
and rebed
Well that will be very difficult!
deckjoint.3.jpg

Ours is the Outward Flange type. [I wish it was the Shoebox type.]
In my opinion, it is the screws that leak, as the flat flange edge would seem unlikely.
I just sealed the top edge of the rub rail to deck fiberglass at the spillway.
Hunter used 5200 to glue the flanges.
Good Luck..
Jim...

Nov 1, 2007
We have the same flange. I redid the seal years ago on my first baot a 36 ft. Since I got more then one leak I will probably remove the rail check the srew and recaulk bow to stern and put the rail back on.
Tks for your advise greatly appreciated
Jean Guy