Cold Snapped

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
No winter wreckage here so far. As Les mentioned, we had very strong winds pass through our area last week. An electric air drier in each cabin and a space heater set on low in the main cabin keeps the freezing temps at bay while away. Always leave a hatch cracked allowing moist air to escape, too.

Spent a couple of nights on the boat during the big blow with the main heat pump keeping things warm. Belle-Vie was rocking and rolling much of the time. She can get quite noisy with the wind howling through the shrouds, dock lines stretching, fenders rubbing against the dock, this and that rattling, etc.

Belle-Vie really wanted to spend some time out and about, but with winds forecasted at 45+, the skipper decided to wait until better more reasonable weather prevailed. She seemed game for that.

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
Had the top down on the convertible for a while Sunday , neighbors were amused!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Now you Florida boys are just bragging.... 77 degrees honey... you think I'll need a sweater?

Oct 22, 2014
Yes... but Charlie we all accept that Texans brag... It is in their culture. And you guys all wear those White hats with a nice brim to keep the sun out of your eyes.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I go out in shorts an t shirts any time it’s 45+
Must be the scandahovian blood (or my thick layer of insulation)

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hmm. Let's see what those southerners have to say about how pleasant things are during the scorched earth months of June through August. Nice here, very unpleasant there. I'll take what mother earth delivers to me here any day of the year. Texas, Florida, Georgia, et al, no thanks!

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Hmm. Let's see what those southerners have to say about how pleasant things are during the scorched earth months of June through August. Nice here, very unpleasant there. I'll take what mother earth delivers to me here any day of the year. Texas, Florida, Georgia, et al, no thanks!
But some who live here love the heat. MUCH better than being cold.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
charlie, i'm not to bright, what's that red thing for over your cockpit used for? never had one of those. :)
me , i love heat. just turned the furnace up a little higher. hate air conditioning :)

Oct 22, 2014
Me thinks thou doest protest a bit much.

It was feeling a little cold.
just turned the furnace up a little higher. hate air conditioning :)
Now if it is cold and you change that by introducing warm, may I say Hot Air. Like from a furnace. It would seem you are conditioning the air to be warmer.

Thus the conundrum.

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
charlie, i'm not to bright, what's that red thing for over your cockpit used for? never had one of those. :)
me , i love heat. just turned the furnace up a little higher. hate air conditioning :)
Jon, I guess that's why you live in the frigid north.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
ITs actually quite simple. You can always put on more layers to stay warm, but there is only so many layers you can take off to try to cool off.