Cold Snapped

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Winter weather can be tough on boats, but has it been tough on yours? Frozen plumbing, wind-blown rigging, leaks, any of them can ruin your whole day.

Tell us about your winter wreckage, then get back in front of the fire and warm up.

frozen.jpg

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I have an iris in my front yard that will be blooming any day now. Roses and azaleas are blooming, too.

Mar 29, 2015
MacGregor 25 trailer sailer
Yep. We have iris, roses and several others blooming. Strange weather( low 70s) for January. Its been wet too. Almost 7 inches of rain since Christmas week. Lake level is overfull covering many docks and the dam dumping full tilt, making the river downstream flood. Took video of my daughter on the fishing dock underwater , but its usually about 12-15 feet above the water.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
0364143D-F6FD-4277-9710-9946B9950760.jpeg
Yep. We have iris, roses and several others blooming. Strange weather( low 70s) for January. Its been wet too. Almost 7 inches of rain since Christmas week. Lake level is overfull covering many docks and the dam dumping full tilt, making the river downstream flood. Took video of my daughter on the fishing dock underwater , but its usually about 12-15 feet above the water.
Your description sounds like Wateree Lake, SC. The dam has no flood gates so it overflows regularly.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I'm sort of waiting for winter to come around, too. We had a little taste of skiing on Christmas Eve. Since then, a fire in the fireplace hasn't been necessary and the firewood outside has been soaking in the rain! New England should get a good snow storm today and tomorrow, one hopes!

Nov 6, 2012
Hunter 27 Penetang ON
Nothing that a little forethought would have prevented. During my first off-season, the tarps didn't cover the teak stern seats. Result: six months on the hard with repetitive bouts of Ontario rain, snow, and ice did a serious number on the factory finish. Solution: the tarp was retrofitted. A few winters later, the pump sleeve on the Jabsco head cracked under the strain of water freezing in the cylinder. Solution: I now completely disconnect the pump assembly from the base after fall haul-out to effectively void any water residue. At the same time, I examine the state of the water seal on the joker valve and the viability of the base valve gasket.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Not so cold but the Wind sure snapped Sunday Am. 50mph+, branches everywhere. Just got power after 35hrs without. Boat no problems. Portable garage over sons Type3 VW ruined.

View from street.
D1073FAA-4C95-4D42-B01D-EF6629AC7A85.jpeg

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
I'm outside of Chicago, and went for a motorcycle ride Saturday, does that count?

I suppose if it requires a boat story, I failed to cover my boat this year. Much to my dismay, several weeks back, I pulled several chunks of ice out of the cabin. Apparently I have developed a leak.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
We’ve enjoyed a few days of spring-like weather, but it looks like high winds tomorrow and then back to winter for a while. I checked the boat a week ago and everything looked great; shrink-wrap was tight, boat was dry and I saw no signs of condensation. I seem to have found the right combination of ventilation and DampRid buckets. We’ll see what the next three months bring, but so far, so good. Knock on wood, I’ve never had any winter wind, freezing or ice damage.

My biggest winter worry in the past was actually the cradle. It used to have just two jack pads per side and I always felt there was more movement on windy days than there should be. It never did any damage, but a couple years ago, to be cautious, I had a midship jack pad welded to each side of the cradle frame. Six points of support to the hull rather than just four. The boat is much better supported in the cradle now and I sleep better knowing that. Not sure if “jack pad” is the right term, but I think you get the idea.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Our local hospital's ED has been overrun with ortho injuries. The skiing has been icy and sparse of snow. Lots of accidents on the mountain.
No issues with freezing on Dragonfly. She's too basic for that. Maybe frozen flotation could cause swelling, but I won't know that until the tarp comes off.

-Will (Dragonfly)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Our local hospital's ED has been overrun with ortho injuries. The skiing has been icy and sparse of snow. Lots of accidents on the mountain.
No issues with freezing on Dragonfly. She's too basic for that. Maybe frozen flotation could cause swelling, but I won't know that until the tarp comes off.

-Will (Dragonfly)
A wimpy winter so far, Will. My family did a bit of skiing and shredding at our local ski area that looks out over the ocean.

It's open on a limited basis and my family took a few runs over the holidays. But I'm waiting for more snow before I strap my tray on.

Nov 18, 2016
Hunter 260 Lucky Peak, ID
Winter is here although our precip. level is below average. The H260 is in covered storage but that took a while to get - just moved in. We usually keep it on the trailer after the dock dries and sail into Oct. - all the spaces were taken until some XMas snowbirds flew. Have more issues with wind carrying ag. dirt than anything else - will need to refinish the rear seats and cabin boards this spring.

New years eve yurt trip: touring gear - a bit thin for the heavy metal.
upload_2019-1-8_19-22-35.png

Lucky Peak - our home (F dock) in the foreground. (Just like a bathtub!)
upload_2019-1-8_19-26-56.png