Is the 26x seaworthy enough to make Bahamas crossing?

Jan 1, 2019
Macgregor 26x Cincinnati
Hi All!!! I have a 26x and we’d like to make the crossing from Florida to the Bahamas. I’ve been on other forums asking about the journey and I’m getting a lot of comments on the macgregor not being able to make the journey. My captain skills are ok but not professional but all that aside can the boat even do the journey or is it too much of a risk. Thanks Adam

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Welcome Trialsbikeadam, Happy New Year. You are starting 2019 right by joining us here at SBO. Everyone here is happy to help where they can. There is a lot of nautical knowledge, centuries worth, so stick around.
Most of us will agree, for a trip like Fort Lauderdale to Bimini, it's mostly about the sailor. Crossing the stream is normally an easy 10-12 hour small boat sail, but $#!t can happen so it's best to have good equipment and backup emergency plans. Choose your weather window conservatively.

I took a quick look at the Mac26 and have three positive comments about the trip. Check out this articlehttps://www.practical-sailor.com/reviews/boatreview/macgregor_26-1208-1.html

1. With a larger outboard, you can make much better time if the weather starts to look like it's taking a turn for the worst. That's a huge plus for the Mac26.
2. Macgregor claims she is self-righting with water tanks full. Excellent. Not a trip to take in a boat that can't recover from a knock down. Be sure to provision and arrange equipment so that is not defeated by bad storage choices.
3. Positive floatation. If all else goes wrong, AIS, EPIRB and water proof hands held radio will bring help quickly in those heavily traveled waters.
The negatives. She sounds like she's a little under built and may need a little breefing-up. I'd make sure to put backer plates on your rigging hardware. Nothing that can't be addressed without much trouble.
Good luck on your adventure. I'm looking forward to following your progress.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 1, 2019
Macgregor 26x Cincinnati
All great info!!! Thank you! I’d like to do the crossing but I’m a little concerned about the boat and my skipper skills LOL.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
All great info!!! Thank you! I’d like to do the crossing but I’m a little concerned about the boat and my skipper skills LOL.
Be especially aware of your weather window. If the wind shifts around, and comes from the north, the waves build up quickly as the wind hits the Gulf Stream. With that said, I was amazed to see some large outboard cruisers in Bimini that had made the crossing from Miami. As Will mentioned, they probably rely on the speed of their boats to get them home in a hurry!

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
The weather window is the key. The Mac will reward you with broken rudder and keel cables if you push it too hard. (Don’t ask me how many I replaced in 15 years of owning one, I finally bought a decent swage tool and started making my own )

May 8, 2011
ODay 25 Cambridge
Made the passage for fl to the bahamas in my oday 25 in 2016. Weather is key. Be advised that getting east from bimini is 80 miles + to chub key so good weather is needed for that. Also you will need good ground tackle to anchor where there can be coral and nylon rode is a problem. I had 80 feet of chain with 120 feet of rode. Beef up your anchor cleat.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Trials, Cin-Cin is supposed to be the hog capital. Ever had Goetta? Sounds like a decent boating breakfast SIDE DISH. .

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
+
Trials, Cin-Cin is supposed to be the hog capital. Ever had Goetta? Sounds like a decent boating brekafast SIDE DISH. .
Big Major Cay (pronounced 'KEE') is an uninhabited island in the Exuma district of the Bahamas where a drug dealer lived until arrested, leaving the island populated with very friendly feral pigs who will swim out to meet you as you approach the beach. There are even "swim with pigs" trips. Don't have one for lunch, though.;)

-Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
The weather has been talked about here, but what is lacking is more information from you. What will be your starting port? What will be your destination? The Bahamas are a lot of islands. Some as close at 80+ miles while the main island is 200 miles. One would have to really do some serious planing. Boats smaller than yours have made it while lager more seaworthy boats have floundered and ended up on the bottom of the sea.

If your Mac is on a trailer, visit some coastal islands that in the 40 mile range. That in itself is a "long" trip. From my home port to Catalina Island is only 42 miles, but it is an all day affair. Skippering skills also include making sure your vessel is ready for any situation.

Jan 1, 2019
Macgregor 26x Cincinnati
Yep! Cincinnati is know as the hog capital LOL and you’ve gotta love goetta!!!! The stuff is great

Jan 1, 2019
Macgregor 26x Cincinnati
Thanks for the insight Brian D! We had planned to leave from peanut island and head over the west end. But the further we’re digging into this it may be more the boat and my sailing skills that are the factor. Taking a trip through the keys seems to pretty well accepted as a decent trip for the boat and my skill set. All options are on the table but the light is kinda fading on the Bahamas crossing.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Taking a trip through the keys seems to pretty well accepted as a decent trip for the boat and my skill set. All options are on the table but the light is kinda fading on the Bahamas crossing.
"Two for the Marquesas" is the name of a short book about two people in a pair of Com-Pac 16s trailering to Key West and setting sail for the Marquesas Islands, 35 miles to the West. 35 miles or so past the Marquesas is Dry Tortugas. The water is shallow and well traveled. It would make a good 150 mile round trip trial. You will need to provision for the entire trip, no stores anywhere. The Marquesas is completely uninhabited and a preserve. Not even an observation shed. Dry Tortugas is the site of historic fort Jefferson used as a prison to house, among others, Dr. Samuel Mudd for setting John Wilkes Booth's leg after he broke it escaping from assassinating President Lincoln. The area is spectacular, snorkeling and diving, fishing and sailing. Try that sail first. Work on your skills and knowledge. Modify your boat, it shouldn't take much to improve its strength for such a sail. Plan, research and make an inventory of the things you will need. We will all be glad to help in any way possible. Don't write off the trip to the Bahamas. You just need good prep and education. Take your time and follow Brian's advise.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Yeah I know some people who’ve done it in “fishing” boats but they say they can make it in 3hrs
How big a boat?
If they go that fast, most likely big.
OR...small boat and fast means the water is flat.
Given everything you've learned here and on cf:

Your boat, your choice. :)

Safe journey.

Jan 1, 2019
Macgregor 26x Cincinnati
Thanks Guys!!!! That’s some great info and advice. I think my interest in the Bahamas crossing has waned a bit. Maybe that’s better left for a trip down the road. I am really excited to see lots of people suggesting the keys and short trips from there!!! Any other suggestions in that area? Thanks again, Adam

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Not to reignite any encouragement to cross the GS in the 26x, I have an observation. Several years ago I was anchored up in the Dry Tortugas for about 5 nights with easterly wind in the low 20’s on for four of ‘em. As we were preparing to leave to go to Ft Myers, FL, into the rather intimidating seas that had built up, in blows this boat running from the east. I watched her arrive looking good and was anxious to learn the model. I was astonished to see it was a MacGregor 26! Where ever did she come from, I asked me self?:doh:Key West lay some 70 n.mi. to the east. The next closest land was the Marquesas Keys at about 50 n.mi. to the east. In any event, she had to have gotten out there from somewhere! I shuddered the thought of a trip anywhere back toward the east:yikes: for at least a few days. So, a hop from Miami to the Bahamas is within that travel range I just mentioned and potentially w/similar sea conditions. Your point of sail would likely not be the same, however, and could make for a very rough ride. I doubt that I’d do it in that model. I likes me comfort!:dancing:

Gunkholing around the FL Keys is a much better idea, IMHO, when “experimenting.”

Last edited: