26M hlem

Dec 20, 2018
MacGregor 26M Dana Point, ca
It's been on my mind lately that I'd like a larger diameter wheel when sailing my 26M. Has anyone attempted this yet? If so what was the result??

Dec 3, 2018
MacGregor 26X Georgetown, Maine
It's been on my mind lately that I'd like a larger diameter wheel when sailing my 26M. Has anyone attempted this yet? If so what was the result??
The wheel should bear easy enough to turn (at least it is on my X.). If you are thinking to a larger wheel to reduce steering effort, your steering cable is probably binding. There is no good fix for that except to replace it. It’s a bit of as chore, but if a clutch like me cash do it (I did,) ... Contact Blue Water Yachts for the right cable and instructions. If you do it, you will learn more about your boast, but a boatyard mechanic could certainly do it for you. Just get the right part.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
We bought the next size up when we got a new folding Lewmar wheel a couple of years ago and haven't looked back. The ability to sit out on the coaming and easily reach the wheel makes driving so much nicer. The feedback (feel) is actually better, the wheel is moving sooner due to the larger diameter, and because of this, it does appear that the input to small changes is less. It may not actually be the case, but it sure seems like it.

Aug 1, 2011
The Lewmar wheels go on sale occasionally, they are are not overly cheap but they are a way of getting a much larger wheel without installing scaffolding to get past it.

Dec 20, 2018
We bought the next size up when we got a new folding Lewmar wheel a couple of years ago and haven't looked back. The ability to sit out on the coaming and easily reach the wheel makes driving so much nicer. The feedback (feel) is actually better, the wheel is moving sooner due to the larger diameter, and because of this, it does appear that the input to small changes is less. It may not actually be the case, but it sure seems like it.
That sounds like just the ticket. Can you tell me the model# or diameter? Many thanks for your input!!

Dec 20, 2018
My main thought was to have an easier reach from the weather rail. It did occur to me that a larger wheel migth make working the throttle more difficult. Hmmm.

Aug 1, 2011
David, you need to measure the available space in the cockpit, at the centreline of the wheel. Mines a different boat so the size is irrelevant.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Is it for reach or leverage? DC may be right about the cable. Folding may still not be convenient if you singlehand. I have never used one, I wouldn't know.