Mold/Teak

Nov 21, 2018
Skipper 20 Skipper 20 New orleans
The ply wood is rotten, do I remove just what I can? Then kill mold as much as I can then glue carpet to ceiling

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The ply wood is rotten, do I remove just what I can? Then kill mold as much as I can then glue carpet to ceiling
A little exploratory surgery might yield clearer answers.

Given the high humidity in LA, I'd think about something different for the headliner. Perhaps just clean it up and paint it. Put some nice cedar or cyprus trim on to dress it up. The carpet will be hard to clean and will not dry out all that well.

Jan 11, 2014
Looking at the photos again, the plywood around the ports is structural. It helps to stiffen the deck around the port. That will need to be replaced. Something less rot prone would be best. Perhaps some G-10 or Starboard.

Check Mcmaster Carr, Grainger or Fastenal for good prices on either.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Looking at the photos again, the plywood around the ports is structural. It helps to stiffen the deck around the port. That will need to be replaced. Something less rot prone would be best. Perhaps some G-10 or Starboard....
Not starboard. You can't structurally bond it to anything (there are minor exceptions, not relevant here), and boding adds a LOT of strength.

Jan 11, 2014
Not starboard. You can't structurally bond it to anything (there are minor exceptions, not relevant here), and boding adds a LOT of strength.
@thinwater is correct that Starboard or its relatives can not be easily bonded to anything. So if the plywood by the ports is there to strength the sidewalls of the doghouse, starboard would not be a good choice.

My thinking, not clearly expressed, was about strengthening the space immediately around the port opening. It is likely that the fiberglass sides of the doghouse are thinner than the space between the inside and outside flange of the port. In this case it would act more as a backing plate if it was captured by the mounting bolts. The compression from the mounting bolts would allow the starboard would reduce any flexing of the fiberglass around around the port opening. If this was an offshore boat, then there would be better solutions like adding a sheet of G10 and recutting the port holes.

Making the area around the port cut outs stiffer will reduce flexing and reduce the possibility of leaks, helping to keep the boat drier and less mold and mildew prone.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Ive used a 50/50 mix of white vinager and hydrogen peroxide in a spry bottle. Works amazing.

Jul 9, 2018
Catalina 25 Lake Monroe
I can't find the Youtube video, but someone made panels for their headliner and attached them with velcro, that way they could easily find and resolve leaks or wiring issues without having to pull down the headliner completely. I thought it was a brilliant idea.

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
White Rino liner. Truck bed liner for roof. Just duct tape all wires down in square orderly fashion and role on. No more mold

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
I like the Practical Sailor recipes too. The ingredients have been around for many decades and present minimal health risk. They can all be bought by the pound on Amazon for little money. The strongest, TSP, is approved as a food additive in the EU. Be extremely careful using bleach in a confined space like a boat cabin. I know someone who gave himself permanent bronchitis and respiratory disease after cleaning his bilge with bleach. He had his face close to the access hatch while he scrubbed the bilge and breathed the bleach fumes. It burned his trachea.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Be extremely careful using bleach in a confined space like a boat cabin. I know someone who gave himself permanent bronchitis and respiratory disease after cleaning his bilge with bleach. He had his face close to the access hatch while he scrubbed the bilge and breathed the bleach fumes. It burned his trachea.
Many people don't realize how little bleach it takes to do the job. Our state health department says one teaspoon per gallon of cool water and you are good for even sanatizing dishes. Even at those levels let it evaporate before eating off them.

Nov 21, 2018
Skipper 20 Skipper 20 New orleans
9D127C2D-4131-457E-ADEB-B69AD5F59875.jpeg

I wound up using vinegar and hydrogen peroxide. Worked excellent. Then I just primed with kilnz primer. But since the discolored bow, can I just repaint the cabin lower part in primer also?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Sure... As with all paint jobs, prep the fiberglass and clean the area so you remove contaminants and dust that might weaken the bond between the paint and the surface. Then slap the paint on.
I have not seen kilz used. Most often folks use a marine paint like Bilge White like this one (http://www.totalboat.com/product/totalbilge/).
Tends to hold up better than water based latex paint. It is a bit more work to paint and cleanup.
Tell us how it works for you.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Ken Cross
You nailed the health aspect on the head being careful. No one else did. Thanks

Folks, thru experience as I spent weeks recovering from cleaning mold which was very unpleasant, wear gloves, wear a respirator, wash clothes daily, clean hands for breaks and lunch, etc. you have no idea what hell I went thru. So please be careful cleaning mold

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Many people don't realize how little bleach it takes to do the job. Our state health department says one teaspoon per gallon of cool water and you are good for even sanatizing dishes. Even at those levels let it evaporate before eating off them.
Exactly. And more does not generally make it more effective. The key is that the physical dirt must be removed first, because bleach does not penetrate well.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
@Ken Cross
You nailed the health aspect on the head being careful. No one else did. Thanks

Folks, thru experience as I spent weeks recovering from cleaning mold which was very unpleasant, wear gloves, wear a respirator, wash clothes daily, clean hands for breaks and lunch, etc. you have no idea what hell I went thru. So please be careful cleaning mold
Yep, the had pneumonia twice from mold (30 years apart) I guess I got a bit careless. It came on quick (hours) so be cautious.

Ken

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
used to use Kilz as a primer on customer boats. But then had several problems of it bubbling in tiny bubbles under the paint. Switched to Zinzer 1-2-3 and have had no problems since. But then it's been a while since I did a boat for anyone else :)

But again, haven't used Kilz for probably 15 yrs now