What's the best

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Ya’ll come join us.....sometime.[/QUOTE]
I would be Happy to check out your neighborhood-It looks beautiful, But It would take us a LONG time to sail there or getting the boat trucked would be a little expensive also!
There are no mountains on the Great Lakes and we are salt free.
Beautiful Photos though-Nice Boat also!

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Absolutely! They are on the spring outfitting list. Probably going with Garhauer as the Harken require new tracks.
You may want to checkout the site Yacht Shop, they are in Halifax, pricing and the exchange may make it a very worth while visit.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
You may want to checkout the site Yacht Shop, they are in Halifax, pricing and the exchange may make it a very worth while visit.
I would love to get new Harken towable genoa leads, however, they no longer make the cars that work on standard T-Track. So, when you add the cost of the CB track, the cars and related equipment, it just too pricey, even with the exchange rate. Because the Harken use ball bearings they work much easier than the Garhauer and the old Harken that fit on T-Tracks.

The Garhauers are only $500 if you include the swivel cam cleats. That puts them in almost affordable range. After the upgrades this past year, Susan now looks more closely at UPS deliveries. She now compares household improvements to boat improvements, "I found a new living room rug, it costs less than that new mainsail you just bought." :rolleyes:

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Sailing like the “Golden Years” without an iPhone, chart plotter or gps is not they same as racing around the world in a 36 foot boat. The boats of the race demasted and no longer competitors were sailed in Southern Ocean conditions that most sailors would be ashore tucked away happily saying “nothing on the earth could entice me to go to sea today”. It is weather even Maine Lobstermen, given the choice, would rather be tied up in port then in a sea of confusion 6-9 meters high.

My comment was to say that a chart plotter is nice, but not essential. With a current chart, a working compass, and a depth sounder a skipper can safely navigate a boat out and back to port. Do we become dependent on the electronics? Probably. Should we expect them to be 100% reliable? No.

Why an occasional trip with them turned off would be good for our seanmanship and maybe even our soul.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Why an occasional trip with them turned off would be good for our seanmanship and maybe even our soul.
Sort of like a whole summer, short as it was, enjoying regular emails with the folks at Navionics trying to get the chart card replaced, without a plotter? Yeah, just like that.

Oct 31, 2012
Hunter 2008 H25 Lake Wabamun
What is the best thing you bought for your boat that you can't do without now, or wouldn't want to leave shore without ?
How about we now change this question just a wee bit to;
What is the best thing you are GOING to buy for your boat that you are currently doing with out? After all, Christmas is coming. ;)

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Pedestal guard and folding cockpit table. Wayne's World, Wayne's World...party on...excellent!
This was the Admirals idea. Now, I can’t imagine being without it.
View attachment 157028
Adding me to your boat wi
Great plan! All we need now is May 2019 and good health. Currently, May is the problem.
whats up with May? Not that I’ll be in NY then. Are you ok?

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
Full enclosure. It allows us to sail year round. It also protects the helm console, chartplotter, leather wrapped wheel, engine instrument console, and compass. It is like adding another half a boat.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
One of the best upgrades that I have done is adding a “smart plug.”
No more fumbling to get the plug inserted and no more fuss with the retainer ring. I purchased a second one to use for a yet to be installed A/C circuit.
Going to take it easy for Christmas this year;
Reskinned the dodger & replaced the panels as well as added a connector between the dodger & Bimini during Spring and just completed a haul out for bottom paint and compound/wax last month....that’s enough for one Year!

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Full enclosure. It allows us to sail year round. It also protects the helm console, chartplotter, leather wrapped wheel, engine instrument console, and compass. It is like adding another half a boat.
:worthless:

Gene S

Nov 29, 2015
Delphia 37 Tacoma
200 watts of solar and upgraded battery bank. It's nice not having to run the engine so much.