Which Trailer sailer (cruiser) -Under 2000 lbs to consider?

Jimmy

Jan 28, 2018
Hunter 26 lake Powell lake mead
I would buy the boat you want and then get the tow vehicle to suit ⛵

Jimmy

Jan 28, 2018
Hunter 26 lake Powell lake mead
I have a hunter 26 with three people on board it gets tight on long trips

May 31, 2017
San Juan 23 Eugene
I have a hunter 26 with three people on board it gets tight on long trips
Yes, no doubt... We have been in tight quarters and it can be difficult, but also fun. It just depends. Currently our thoughts are that we get something we can overnight with, in the future we we are ready we will get something larger... there are not a ton of great sailing areas that are close to home and the ones that are are limited in scope We are trying to upgrade within our budget constraints. Thanks for your comments.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Have you gone out and looked at any yet? Climbed aboard and sat below? Don't completely eliminate ones that match the technical specs until you've actually visited them in person.
I don't know your situation, but there are home built designs available you could build in your garage. GlenL, Bruce Roberts... you could customize a home build.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
We are trying to upgrade within our budget constraints.
Perhaps the constraints as the issue. A different view might be to look for a great trailer daysailer with no livaboard features. Think about the lakes and places you want to explore. Something that will let you sail right up to the beach. Then you can lift out a tent and set up camp onshore, yet enjoy the fun of sailing as well. This was a common tactic for kayak boaters.
This could widen your boat options, keep your car, be inside the weight limit.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
so in my browsing I came across an O'Day 192 (1986), it seems similar the the Starwind 19, but a bit less "finished" and its about 50 pounds heavier. Still think the Starwind designed by Jim Taylor is a nicer and better boat, and the one for us.
Anyone have experience with the O'day 192?
I like our O'Day 25, so maybe the 192 is worth a look if it meets your criteria, price and condition.
http://www.iheartodays.com/model_oday_192.html

This looks like a great deal to me if this is the size boat you want and looks like it is ready to go at a reasonable price.
https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/76905

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
The Starwind is a great little boat. Very roomy interior for it's size. I believe Precision boatworks bought the mold from Welcraft. Unfortunately Precision is no longer producing boats. They are still in business selling parts though

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
What I use to ask my customers as one of the largest small sailboat dealers, what do you want to do with a sailboat? What are you towing with? Are you considering a larger tow vehicle. Seriously what are you actually want to do although in a way repetitive but asked in a different way. When you are looking at so many, you will get confused. So think of looking at what you are going to do actually with a boat for the next five years. You can always move into a bigger boat then staying within your budget for now.
Also suggest someone with you looking at old sailboats. One fellow did not and inherited some problems.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
It would probably be prudent to try towing a #2000 sailboat with your car before you get too very far down this path. I know you have the camper trailer but there is more at work here besides the weight.

The boat trailer is longer, that extra length is going to create more of a moment on your car than the teardrop and will tend to push the car anytime you turn. The short wheel base of the beetle and the narrow difference in weight could create a more than uncomfortable pairing.

The other issue is wind resistance that is going to be significantly greater than with your teardrop. If you are not traveling very far nor quickly that would be a minimal issue.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
It might also be prudent to actually go look at a bunch of boats in person, rather than spending large sums of money on travel or shipping of a boat you know nothing about besides other peoples "recommendations". even if you see a boat advertised that you're pretty sure you won't buy, go look at it, sit in the cabin, sit in the cockpit, etc etc. . Some of the recommended boats don't even have seated headroom in the cabin, for example. a lot of boats in this size range are VERY cramped just to sit in the cabin at all. be patient and the right one for you will come along. there's plenty of winter left :) . Also keep an eye on CL boats for sale in Bend, and down in Redding. often seems to be more nice ones in your category in those areas for some reason.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
I'm more concerned about his affinity for a stub keel. This make boats sit high on their trailers. I owned one, and they are a pain to pull. If my RL 24 is too heavy, so is the O'Day. Its only 55 lbs lighter according Sailboatdata.com. The RL is only 100 lbs heavier than the Starwind.
Another boat to look at is a Santana 2023a water ballast. Here is an ad for one:
http://sailingtexas.com/201801/ssantana23129.html
Note: Owner states 2000 lbs total weight boat an trailer. Boat weight is 1580lbs.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Don't forget a few hundred pounds in anchors, chain, rode, stoves, fuel, aux, head with tank, lines, parts and tools, much can go in the tow vehicle and should, but...

-Will (Dragonfly)

May 31, 2017
San Juan 23 Eugene
I appreciate everyones thoughtful suggestions, points of view and responses. I do frequent craigslist and other searches.... we will continue to look and asses.

May 31, 2017
San Juan 23 Eugene
I'm more concerned about his affinity for a stub keel. This make boats sit high on their trailers. I owned one, and they are a pain to pull. If my RL 24 is too heavy, so is the O'Day. Its only 55 lbs lighter according Sailboatdata.com. The RL is only 100 lbs heavier than the Starwind.
Another boat to look at is a Santana 2023a water ballast. Here is an ad for one:
http://sailingtexas.com/201801/ssantana23129.html
Note: Owner states 2000 lbs total weight boat an trailer. Boat weight is 1580lbs.
We do really like the Santana 2023 C, until we get a new vehicle we would need to use a creative solution to get one. I'm a member of a Santana 23 facebook group and there is a ton of good info there. They had some issues with the water ballast tank if left in the water fo rthe season for many years... and need to be resealed. the Dry/trailering weight: 1755 lbs + about 500 lbs for the trailer (wet weight or displacement 3,055 lbs ) + trailer. The A is nice too but a bit more spartan. https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/santana-2023c
PS.
I don't have an affinity for a stub keep, just not fond of Daggerboards " or lifting keels. More power to you if they work and you like them. I don''t want the cabin split in half. Also the jury is out on water ballasted sailboats. I think they could be a good potion, but it can also introduce some other variables adding water into the vessel.

May 31, 2017
San Juan 23 Eugene
Don't forget a few hundred pounds in anchors, chain, rode, stoves, fuel, aux, head with tank, lines, parts and tools, much can go in the tow vehicle and should, but...

-Will (Dragonfly)
Well yes, if it can fit inside out car... ;)

May 31, 2017
San Juan 23 Eugene
Perhaps the constraints as the issue. A different view might be to look for a great trailer daysailer with no livaboard features. Think about the lakes and places you want to explore. Something that will let you sail right up to the beach. Then you can lift out a tent and set up camp onshore, yet enjoy the fun of sailing as well. This was a common tactic for kayak boaters.
This could widen your boat options, keep your car, be inside the weight limit.
Well yes sure.... However we got a teardrop so we wouldn't need a tent and sleeping on the ground... with age my back likes a flat surface. We do own a 1977 CBC Buccaneer 18... Not that I'd want to lad that with gear to camp with. Ther eis also the fact that at least at our "main" sailing location there is not really a place to sail up to a beach and camp at... if we travel that could be an option. I appreciate the thoughts.

Last edited:
May 31, 2017
San Juan 23 Eugene
The Starwind is a great little boat. Very roomy interior for it's size. I believe Precision boatworks bought the mold from Welcraft. Unfortunately Precision is no longer producing boats. They are still in business selling parts though
Precision are still made, they don't have a 19' - the 18'
http://www.precisionboatworks.com/boats/p18/index.php
The 21'
http://www.precisionboatworks.com/boats/p21/index.php
and the 23'
http://www.precisionboatworks.com/boats/p23/index.php
all designed by Jim Taylor see:
https://tayloryachtdesigns.com/designs/precision-small-fast-and-fun/
Cruisers
The Precision cruisers all feature a keel/centerboard underbody that combines modest draft when with the board is up, with excellent windward performance when the board is down. The ballast is secured deep in the fixed keel cavity to maximize stability. The board itself is only heavy enough to drop on its own, so that it can be raised and lowered with one hand, and so that stability is not reduced significantly when it is up.
Precision 18
The Precision 18 was designed to be the smallest boat that could be practically cruised, and still be easily trailored by a relatively small car. She has a remarkably loyal following, and is still in active production after nearly 30 years.
Precision 21
Not too big, not too small, and for some, just right. Designed to fit right between the Precision 18 and Precision 23, the Precision 21 is intended to appeal to sailors requiring neither the minimum cost of a mini-, nor the extra space of a maxi-trailerable. I recently encountered a Marblehead family of four going out for an evening sail, and they could hardly have been happier or more complementary about their boat. They said that their Precision 21 suits them perfectly.
Precision 23
Targeted to be the biggest cruiser that could be practically trailored behind a family car, the Precision 23 is an enduring benchmark for her size and type. She has successfully completed some surprisingly long passages, and has earned an impressive number of rewarding wins in club level racing.

Frequently Asked Questions about similar Taylor designs
Before our association with Precision Boatworks, we designed several other small cruisers that were produced by various builders, none of which currently provide support or parts to current owners. We are often asked about them, and offer the following background:
Spectrum 22
Chronologically the first of these designs, she was commissioned by Spectrum Yacht Corp, which had a modestly successful production run. (See Spindrift 22, below)
Starwind 19
Wellcraft commissioned the Starwind 19 in the early ’80’s, and did a nice job building a lot of them (400?) before they realized that they could make much more money per square foot of factory space building powerboats. They built good quality boats to our Starwind 19 and Starwind 27 designs, before they went back to all power. The Starwind 223 was not our design.
Spindrift/Starwind
Rebel Industries bought the molds for the Starwind 19 and Spectrum 22, and built a handful of boats, not always wisely or well. They marketed the Starwind 19 variously as the Starwind 19, Starwind 190, and Spindrift 19, but left the boat essentially unchanged from the orginal Wellcraft version. They retooled the Spectrum 22 without our permission or input, as the Spindrift 22.