Group sailing

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Hi all,

We had another experience with the group sailing the ICW and thought maybe other had the same negative views. This group of boats are mostly beginners who have joined/hired a captain (?) to take them from Norfolk to the Keys by the ICW. We had anchored in St. Mary's after 200 miles offshore expecting a nice Thanksgiving with cruising friends. The boats there had all anchored well and we went furthest away with plenty of swing room.

During the late evening this band of boats came in and spread out among the already anchored boats which was fine for the quiet night. By noon Thursday the wind came up and the boats all began to dance in the current. For us we would come close to the boats on either side and coming within a boat length. Another boat that had been dragging elsewhere decided to anchor upstream of us and could have stayed away but kept letting out more three strand rode to get the anchor to catch.

His boat then swung so the keel was now wrapped in the rode with the anchor behind him so he let out more rode. Now he's close to us as we swing. Then two dinghy's with outboards of low horsepower try to unwind him and cannot fight the current, so he lets out more rode. Now he's real close so I jumped on the bow and told him not to let out rode, call his leader, and call a towboat to get real help. I held our boat away as best as possible while they tried to manage.

Their leader showed up and they got a second anchor but instead of kedging away, they just dropped it to hold position inside my anchor radius. After that all the dinghies left for the meal leaving that couple (and me) to await their tow which was about three hours. Over the radio I heard this boat was afraid to go further upstream because they didn't have a working depth finder and river is uncharted. Their leader didn't stop by to offer and apologies for the inconvenience. (I heard similar stories from other cruisers the following day but I just filed it back in my mind)

We made another 200 mile jump on the outside to meet up with friends again in Vero Beach and had time to resupply and make repairs. I was helping a friend splice some lines when I noticed the horde finally had caught up to us again and began to raft their boats with those already there. There is an art to rafting and not just tying to someone else's boat like a dock but I can see once again there isn't any instruction for this group. Sentiments and experiences from the other cruisers are similar to ours.

Marinas like having this group because they have a big chunk of business and they have refused individual boats that make their way independently (and competently). Since most of these folks won't go out an inlet we will eventually get away again but I feel bad for the other boaters who can't.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
:wow3:
What an experience. Sometimes I feel like people drive that way on the highway too.

You were a lot more patient than I would have been. Imagine if that guy's anchor rode became unwrapped while he was still close to you.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Kind of reminds me of the video on YouTube of the plastic captains. Those who don't have sailing experience, or very very little, but have the liquidity to rent huge yachts and crash them into other boats. So sad.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
That same hoard mentality is what bothers me most about the ocean rallies. A large number of relatively inexperienced sailors setting out from a single point thinking there is some sort of security in numbers.
The last thing I want to see on an ocean crossing is any other vessel and intentionally sailing in close proximity to so many boats just sends shivers up my spine.
Down here we see this in the bareboat floatillas. They come into the anchorages and create havoc. 8 or 10 bareboats led around by one crew with local knowledge, flowing ashore much like cruise ship passengers and often with a similar disrespect for the locals and others in the anchorage.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
We had another experience with the group sailing the ICW
The ICW can be a tight waterway for any group of 3 or bigger. I can hardly imagine a flotilla of 8 boats making its way along the ICW.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I have found that the only thing an inexperienced sailboater knows less about than sailing a boat in open water is how to use ground tackle and put/keep their boat where it belongs when anchored. It is one the major reasons why so many of the Caribbean charter locations have set and charge for mandatory mooring buoys; properly spaced, firmly set into the bottom.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Caribbean charter locations have set and charge for mandatory mooring buoys; properly spaced, firmly set into the bottom.
Where have you seen this, other than @ their home ports? Not being arguementative, but sincerely curious.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Interesting thread, although ICW cruising holds little interest in me a this time I have considered the 'group' Caribbean trips for something in the future for our first time being in an area. I don't want to be a plastic captain, YouTube famous or PO old salts but I do know I have a lot to learn and well be open to help and instruction always.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Where have you seen this, other than @ their home ports? Not being arguementative, but sincerely curious.
Most all of the overnight anchorages in the BVI had mooring balls 15 years ago. Much less as you go south off the beaten charter path. Mustique filled their harbor with them over 10 years ago. I remember being warned to make the Bight on Norman Is. before 2 pm local time or risk not finding an mooring. Pretty much true, but I heard the drunk boat (WillyT) is over at Peter Is. now.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Interesting thread, although ICW cruising holds little interest in me a this time I have considered the 'group' Caribbean trips for something in the future for our first time being in an area. I don't want to be a plastic captain, YouTube famous or PO old salts but I do know I have a lot to learn and well be open to help and instruction always.
The Carib1500 and SaltyDawgRally both offer coaching to get you ready to go off, not down the ditch. Then they lead the effort. These “guides” that take folks down the ICW are really just glorified relocation companies. The Carib1500 is the real deal, but you won’t be taking a 25’ boat. Maybe look for crewing opportunities.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
My memory might have left it's container, but IIRC, BVI mooring balls are all government owned. Or maybe not?

Last edited:

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
That same hoard mentality is what bothers me most about the ocean rallies. A large number of relatively inexperienced sailors setting out from a single point thinking there is some sort of security in numbers.
The last thing I want to see on an ocean crossing is any other vessel and intentionally sailing in close proximity to so many boats just sends shivers up my spine.
Down here we see this in the bareboat floatillas. They come into the anchorages and create havoc. 8 or 10 bareboats led around by one crew with local knowledge, flowing ashore much like cruise ship passengers and often with a similar disrespect for the locals and others in the anchorage.
I guess in this case there’s not necessarily safety in numbers.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I would like to recommend, for your needs, as you describe, taking a sailing course as a crewed rental in thew area you're interested in. The one on one will better serve you and you get to control the itinerary. You'll leave knowing the area, learning more about sailing, and have the course sign off for future bare boat charters.
I can't see it as anything but more learning, more experience and more fun.

-Will (Dragonfly)

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I would like to recommend, for your needs, as you describe, taking a sailing course as a crewed rental in thew area you're interested in. The one on one will better serve you and you get to control the itinerary. You'll leave knowing the area, learning more about sailing, and have the course sign off for future bare boat charters.
I can't see it as anything but more learning, more experience and more fun.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Actually that is the direction we are planning to go. It makes the most sense for us and our objective. It also serves the purpose to try out living on a boat. There is no way my old O'Day 25 is going anywhere other then back and forth across our lake for day sails. My wife has zero interest in 'camping' on this boat which is fine as that wasn't the purpose of this boat.

I saw some options with group flotillas in the Caribbean, usually there were with a bare boat charter company so that seemed interesting, but not if these turn into some sort of cluster. I ride motorcycles and hate large organized rides as they are always full of idiots and someone always messes up, I do not care to repeat such an event in a large sailboat, at sea, with my family...

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Most all of the overnight anchorages in the BVI had mooring balls 15 years ago. Much less as you go south off the beaten charter path. Mustique filled their harbor with them over 10 years ago. I remember being warned to make the Bight on Norman Is. before 2 pm local time or risk not finding an mooring. Pretty much true, but I heard the drunk boat (WillyT) is over at Peter Is. now.
OK, I guess I misunderstood you. I thought you were saying the bareboat companies had dropped moorings for their boats.
In my part of the Caribbean, most moorings are not safe. Even the government set park and town moorings fail regularly. At us$80 a stay, I would assume those @ Mustique were better, but?
I had two 10' sand screws set for our mooring and supplied the chain and line. I still wouldn't try to weather a hurricane on it, but it should be fine for anything else.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Over the radio yesterday I heard a boater asking for information on a bridge air draft just north of where we are and this particular group leader responded "Just stay in the middle, we made it through last night". That particular bridge has flat beams so little advantage to the middle. Also the wind had been strong from the north which had driven the tide in an extra foot overnight. The tide here is less than a foot most days on the ICW. I wouldn't ask this individual for directions to a restroom in a crowded bar.