WCSC, construction begins!

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
The exposure to the waterfront seems too narrow. I would have much rather seen an octagon structure, or a half octagon structure, with glass exposure all the way around the front.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I have a soft spot for 100 year old houses. Call me a masochist. It's painful to see it torn down :frown:

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The exposure to the waterfront seems too narrow. I would have much rather seen an octagon structure, or a half octagon structure, with glass exposure all the way around the front.
The old structure was grandfathered into restrictive waterfront setback regulations. Because of current setback regs, if the building was going to be that close to the water, it had to have the same footprint where it was closer than current regulations allow.

Nov 8, 2010
I have a soft spot for 100 year old houses. Call me a masochist. It's painful to see it torn down :frown:
Yea... one of the older club members was watching, sniffed, then turned and said, 'you can smell the mouse poop from here.'

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
The old structure was grandfathered into restrictive waterfront setback regulations. Because of current setback regs, if the building was going to be that close to the water, it had to have the same footprint where it was closer than current regulations allow.
Odd coincidence that you post this Jack, but our town tore down the library today, no more than 30' from my house (we're nighbors).

We're on a small stream, often bone dry in mid summer, but it puts us in Maine Shoreland Zoning so the same restriction (no expansion beyond footprint) applies to any of us within 75' of the stream.

There was nearly 10 years of local controversy (politics), petitions, votes, more votes, town meetings, broken friendships,....small town enthusiasm.

I've torn down more than my share of buildings so we knew what to expect. Buildings go up slowly but with one man in a good sized excavator, with a thumb on the bucket, they go down in a few hours.

Our library, as a building, had little historic value so I'm good with it (some were not). The new one will start going up a few months.

Life goes on. Your clubs new building looks like a terrific plan.

Nov 8, 2010
One other point to this... the structure was originally built as a seasonal summer cottage on the other side of the bay. 50 years ago the last owner's parents moved it across the frozen lake, set it on a new foundation and expanded it into a house. The original cottage structure was never 'built to last' and really was in a state of serious failure. Several BoD members were keen on trying to save the structure if possible, but no real option presented itself that would allow that.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
One other point to this... the structure was originally built as a seasonal summer cottage on the other side of the bay. 50 years ago the last owner's parents moved it across the frozen lake, set it on a new foundation and expanded it into a house. The original cottage structure was never 'built to last' and really was in a state of serious failure. Several BoD members were keen on trying to save the structure if possible, but no real option presented itself that would allow that.
Sometimes you just have to let it go. The new, purpose designed facility will serve it's sailing community much better I'm sure.