Russian Sailboat

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Yeah, that whole British Navy grog thing went away years ago. The modern Navy is more brains than brawn.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
British Grog? Forget that. Annett Roux, Frank Butler, Warren Luhrs drank some of my grog made in a still in the woods behind my dealership long ago. Of course I helped make it and drank it as it was some of the best peach brandy ever. Even tasted it first. Still alive and not blind.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
When at Hunter with about 12 gallons of my peach brandy, I left nine in Warren's office as he was going around the world again, one left with his children's nanny,(Freda) and the other two with other close friends. The Presideent of Hunter called me into his office to explain the moonshine being given out to employees without knowing who they were. He closed the office door and started to chew me out. Then he said it could kill. First I told him I drank some of the run and I was alive and still had my sight. So it was safe. Then I told him I left 9 gallons with Warren who by the way owned Hunter in his office for the next around the world race. Anyone who does that I said I would provide my grog. Then I told him Freda got a gallon and she was the real boss at Hunter. I got up, said have a nice day, went to the other offices and the rest of the employees got a good laugh. That fellow did not last long at Hunter. Never sure why

Frank Butler drank mine straight as I was told and got sick without cutting it 7 to 1. The plant thanked me during his absence from work. Later I asked if he wanted anymore and he said "Hell No". His sidekick, Sharon Day, got some and enjoyed it with her husband.

Annette Roux got some for her husband while he was still alive but drank some. The rest is very funny but that will be a story for a few of my friends to know.

Crazy was first attributed to me by an actor in a movie filmed at Smith Mountain Lake, VA called What About Bob. I kept that name as it was a good marketing tool which many would remember me by and it worked well to my advantage

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I would describe Smith Mountain Lake as crazy alright. Never saw so many drunk powerboaters in one place in my life. We were invited down there years ago for a weekend of relaxation and the cacophony of unmuffled go-fasts late into the night, and drunks at the restaurant was unbelievable. Then came that drunk boat dealer that ran down a couple in the dark going 65 MPH a couple of years later. Think it cost him his business and 15 years in prison.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Gunni
Smith Mountain Lake did not use to be that way. Please do not confuse that with the locals. Many from out of state come there to include those from further outparcels of VA think it is alright to come and get drunk. When I use to have my dealership there, folks were respectful paticuraly when demoing at night seeing the stars, shuttles, etc when I made a lot of sales doing that. Even in the winter with no one on the lake except for diehards like me sailing in the snow, I would be in a specific area when the game wardens came over and were offered coffee as I carried a big jug to offer coffee to them. They enjoyed rafting up and getting warm inside the boat. We were the only fools out there but I enjoyed the war stories we shared.

As for the accident you referred two, it was an elderly business couple whom I knew of were from Lexington, VA. The dealer you spoke about was not well liked. Anyway, he was driving drunk and ran over that couple killing both. The couple's boat was properly lit for night time running. Anyway the drunk driver first told the police it was his underage son who was driving. After investigating, the police thought otherwise. He was convicted and not sure if he lost his business. Anyway, the lake is heavier patrolled and drunk driving is not tolerated.

The lake is too populated now but when school is in session, the lake generally reverts back to the old lake I recalled. I use to be at Lake Corner with an upside down catamaran sign for my sailboat dealership. I was the first business other than Robie's Country store and that darn moonshine still in the woods behind my dealership. It was made for personal consumption only so in a way, we were legal. Even gave the sheriff a gallon a time or two. Franklin County, VA was considered the moonshine capital of the world. In fact, the Justice Department filed criminal charges against a store who would not give them their sales receipts selling sugar because total sales of sugar was more than sold in NYC in a given year. The store won. When the Justice Dept. exited the courthouse, there was a truck outside in front with all the receipts they had requested. Funny thing those receipts did not show names but only cash sales of sugar. Everyone laughed so hard at those Justice dept children.