Which Trailer sailer (cruiser) -Under 2000 lbs to consider?

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
LTL is less than truckload. Some carriers will haul several loads that aren't full truckloads in the same trailer. It isn't as common with flat beds, but some still do it. You would need a loading dock at the pick up point and at the drop point. im guessing it will be close to the cost Captain Larry quoted for enterprise. I'll ask my carrier for a rough guess tomorrow just for the heck of it.

May 31, 2017
San Juan 23 Eugene
LTL is less than truckload. Some carriers will haul several loads that aren't full truckloads in the same trailer. It isn't as common with flat beds, but some still do it. You would need a loading dock at the pick up point and at the drop point. im guessing it will be close to the cost Captain Larry quoted for enterprise. I'll ask my carrier for a rough guess tomorrow just for the heck of it.
Thank you, much appreciated.

May 31, 2017
San Juan 23 Eugene
For a 3/4 ton Pick up (for towing) at Enterprise - Picked up here in Eugene on a Monday and returned the following Monday looks like $625.00 USD/Week $125.00 USD/Day 600 Free miles/Rental Period plus 0.29 per additional mile. or Subtotal: $750.00 USD CAR RENTAL TAX: $76.22 USD VEH LIC FEE RECOV: $12.24 USD
* Total Estimated Charge of $838.46 USD + One way is (2,167 miles) x 2 = 4334 - 600 "free miles" = 3734 x.29 = 1082.86 + 838.46 = 1921.32 (obviously not including fuel....) and provided I can leave the state with the "local" truck rental.
If I were to change it to a Friday pick up and then return it on the second Monday - It has 900 "free" miles for $1256.01 USD and the 3434 miles at $0.29 = $995.86 for = $2251.87 w/o fuel

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
You've missed a couple of good boats to look at. I would suggest the best sailing boat in what you are looking for is a Holder 20. There are 2 versions, 1 with a short cabin, and the second with a longer cabin. It will be fast, but yet has a weighted drop keel, so should be reasonably stable.

The second consideration would be a RL 24. It is a little bigger and heavier at 1600 lbs. Nice size cabin, and yet light for its size. It is fast, but reasonably stable. I have sailed in 30 mph winds with full sails up and had a blast. It has a weighted swing keel.

Both of these boats will sail far better than anything you are considering so far. Both are fast, responsive boats and popular competitive racing boats. The RL is not well known in the USA but is much better known in Australia where it was designed.

As for weight, Anything in the 1500, 1600 lbs will probably exceed your 2000 lbs limit. The heavier the boat, the heavier the trailer. If you are cruising, you will also be tempted to fill the boat with junk that adds up pretty quick. Interestingly, my RL pulls much easier than my first boat, which was a American 17. The reason is that the American had a stub keel, which made it sit high on the trailer. (just like the Starwind you are looking at). The boat sat high in the wind, and was difficult to pull at speed. On the other hand, the RL sits low on the trailer, out of the wind, and pulls easily at HWY speeds - 80mph+ :)

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2014
173 is what I have found. Portsmouth is 83 if I remember correctly. They are known for going upwind like nobodies business. I never raced, but one time I was chasing down a ~30 ft Hunter. Took me forever to catch him. When I finally got close I could hear his engine running...

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
A follow up on this. As I said for poops and grins I talked to both my preferred carrier and a broker today. Both spitballed $2000-2800 for a flatbed it they could sell the space on the rest of the trailer. A van (normal 53' semi trailer) would be $1600-$2200 if they could fill out the trailer with other customers freight. Both also said look at U-ship and give a 5 day window each side for pick up and delivery.

My suggestion is to keep a very vigilant eye out through winter and spring for something closer to you.

Sep 20, 2014
Here is a link to mine under sail on autopilot. Take a note of the apparent wind. The are a few other videos of the boat on my channel. Fair warning, there are sailing shanties being sung in the background, so unless you wan those going through your head for next half hour, be forewarned.
If you want to see one from OZ in rough water, you can watch this. He was motorsailing, but still doing OK.
His cabin is the earlier version, so it is not as long.

Last edited:
May 31, 2017
San Juan 23 Eugene
A follow up on this. As I said for poops and grins I talked to both my preferred carrier and a broker today. Both spitballed $2000-2800 for a flatbed it they could sell the space on the rest of the trailer. A van (normal 53' semi trailer) would be $1600-$2200 if they could fill out the trailer with other customers freight. Both also said look at U-ship and give a 5 day window each side for pick up and delivery.

My suggestion is to keep a very vigilant eye out through winter and spring for something closer to you.
Really appreciate your asking . I'll keep an eye out but the one I found is in nice shape at a nice price... even with getteing her here it would still be a good boat at a reasonable price.

May 31, 2017
San Juan 23 Eugene
You've missed a couple of good boats to look at. I would suggest the best sailing boat in what you are looking for is a Holder 20. There are 2 versions, 1 with a short cabin, and the second with a longer cabin. It will be fast, but yet has a weighted drop keel, so should be reasonably stable.

The second consideration would be a RL 24. It is a little bigger and heavier at 1600 lbs. Nice size cabin, and yet light for its size. It is fast, but reasonably stable. I have sailed in 30 mph winds with full sails up and had a blast. It has a weighted swing keel.

Both of these boats will sail far better than anything you are considering so far. Both are fast, responsive boats and popular competitive racing boats. The RL is not well known in the USA but is much better known in Australia where it was designed.

As for weight, Anything in the 1500, 1600 lbs will probably exceed your 2000 lbs limit. The heavier the boat, the heavier the trailer. If you are cruising, you will also be tempted to fill the boat with junk that adds up pretty quick. Interestingly, my RL pulls much easier than my first boat, which was a American 17. The reason is that the American had a stub keel, which made it sit high on the trailer. (just like the Starwind you are looking at). The boat sat high in the wind, and was difficult to pull at speed. On the other hand, the RL sits low on the trailer, out of the wind, and pulls easily at HWY speeds - 80mph+ :)
Thanks for the suggestions... most pics of the Holder 20 seemed to be of the smaller cabin. Not fond of "lifting" keels or daggerboards, just my preference. We don't need a fast racer... just a nice small family pocket trailer sailer cruiser... ;) As long as they sail reasonably well that's what we need.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
If you use any company like u ship, check insurance and make sure you secure the boat and mast yourself. They generally will not. Take photos of the boat and trailer at time of pick up to ensure if any damage on the receiving end, you will be able to make a claim as you have proof. When as a dealer shipping overseas, I always took photos of the boat inside and outside when accepted at port. Glad I did as one country customs tore the boat apart looking for contraband as the new owner was an rear end patute giving them a hard time. Filed claims with everyone claiming damage. I sent photos of the boat advising I had talked with everyone to include his customs agents trying to get back some of the shipping monies. it was a month to the day when he sent an apology. Glad I took those photos when leaving the boat at port.

May 31, 2017
San Juan 23 Eugene
If you use any company like u ship, check insurance and make sure you secure the boat and mast yourself. They generally will not. Take photos of the boat and trailer at time of pick up to ensure if any damage on the receiving end, you will be able to make a claim as you have proof. When as a dealer shipping overseas, I always took photos of the boat inside and outside when accepted at port. Glad I did as one country customs tore the boat apart looking for contraband as the new owner was an rear end patute giving them a hard time. Filed claims with everyone claiming damage. I sent photos of the boat advising I had talked with everyone to include his customs agents trying to get back some of the shipping monies. it was a month to the day when he sent an apology. Glad I took those photos when leaving the boat at port.
Well CD great points! Thanks for the tips.

May 31, 2017
San Juan 23 Eugene
so in my browsing I came across an O'Day 192 (1986), it seems similar the the Starwind 19, but a bit less "finished" and its about 50 pounds heavier. Still think the Starwind designed by Jim Taylor is a nicer and better boat, and the one for us.
Anyone have experience with the O'day 192?