Which Trailer sailer (cruiser) -Under 2000 lbs to consider?

May 31, 2017
San Juan 23 Eugene
I think your dreaming the impossible dream, as many sailors do.
we've been through quite a few small boats, given the relative few years we've been sailing, but by FAR the best compromise small boat so far has been our Vagabond 17. small, but it feels like a much larger boat when sailing. only 950lb displacement, seated headroom in cabin, sink, porta pot area, very respectable performance for it's size, 550lb swing keel for stability, and a kick up rudder. initial stability is hard to come by in a small boat, which is why I've had a hard time finding one my wife tolerates, but the V17 is great, and she enjoys it, so life is good. The V17 also sails very well on main alone, if desired. plus it sails well with keel up when your in shallow waters (like Fern ridge ;) ). has a decent size v-berth and two 1/4 berths, so sleeping 3-4 in the cabin is possible for close friends ;) .
That being said, we also have, and love, our Mac25 (2100b displacement) that's our go-to boat for overnighters. we keep the V17 for day trips because it sets up super fast etc. (20 min), which is actually the main reason we have two boats to begin with ;) .

decent sailing days are few and far between in the winter months around here, but if you're ever down south (Grants Pass) you're welcome to stop by and look ours over.

View attachment 158926
Also very maneuverable for water fights with the power boaters ;)
View attachment 158927
Russ, I've not heard of a Vagabond 17 before, thanks for the reply. We used to live in the Medford area for a short while, and returned to the willamette valley, Grants Pass is not far. we'd love to come and see the Vagabond 17 sometime... however it would likely make us want to buy it too.
This is the kind of information I was seeking... other boats we have not yet hear of.

I realize my (our) restrictions are limiting however I do know others have more knowledge and information which I why I started this thread.
thanks --Ian

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Russ, I've not heard of a Vagabond 17 before, thanks for the reply. We used to live in the Medford area for a short while, and returned to the willamette valley, Grants Pass is not far. we'd love to come and see the Vagabond 17 sometime... however it would likely make us want to buy it too.
This is the kind of information I was seeking... other boats we have not yet hear of.

I realize my (our) restrictions are limiting however I do know others have more knowledge and information which I why I started this thread.
thanks --Ian
Well it depends on what day of the week you were here, weather I'd sell mine or not ;) . some days I think I'm crazy to own two boats, just to save a few minutes set-up time. but other days I wouldn't even consider selling it. after all it took a couple years of buying and selling for me to find one boat with so many of the features we were after, plus I've put a lot of time in making this one really nice. polish hull, refinish wood etc. etc etc. but you never know ;)
To learn more about the V17 there was a great article in Small Craft Advisor issue #62, March/April 2010. (downloads available online.) My V17 is actually one of the boats used in the article. it was named Mosey then, but now renamed Aye pod. I purchased it several years ago from the original owner in Redding.

Last edited:
May 31, 2017
San Juan 23 Eugene
I think we are leaning toward the:
Starwind 19 (designed by Jim Taylor)- provided we can ever find one close - I found on that appears to be in great shape but it's in Georgia, and another one in Pennsylvania - Or the other branded Sprindrift 19 = same boat...one in Wisconsin...
Also interested in the
Precision 18 - (also designed by Jim Taylor) provided we can afford one and find one closer to the west coast.
https://tayloryachtdesigns.com/designs/precision-small-fast-and-fun/
Lastly I think the:
Montgomery '17 could be a good choice too, it's a bit tighter then we'd like but it could work - if we find ones close to us. I like the "folding mast" concept and the interior seems well though out.

Please if you have any other suggestions let me know.

Also has anyone ever used U-ship to ship a sailboat? Or does anyone have another good idea about shipping a boat cross country - short of towing it yourself?

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
does anyone have another good idea about shipping a boat cross country - short of towing it yourself?
Depending on the season, you might find a college student willing to do it if they live in your area and go to school where the boat is. You could contact the college and ask someone to post a sign on their bulletin boards.
I've never done this, just an idea.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Hunter 19-2 - not 100% thrilled with water ballast, also looks kind of dumpy.

I've not sailed the 19 but I do have a 23.5. If there is a 19 around I would suggest you consider it and sail it to see what you think of it then. We've really enjoyed ours with your weight restrictions and space wishes it seems ideal.

May 31, 2017
San Juan 23 Eugene
I've not sailed the 19 but I do have a 23.5. If there is a 19 around I would suggest you consider it and sail it to see what you think of it then. We've really enjoyed ours with your weight restrictions and space wishes it seems ideal.
Rick, thank you.. I was about to repost of others opinions from my OP about the Hunter 19-2 and the West Wight Potter 19. The 23.5 would indeed be a better fit - however obviously a bit over our weight criteria. Thank fo the input.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Man you are my hero, small boat, wife, small kid and towing with a VW Bug! Dear god I know we could not put a weeks worth of food in a bug let alone survive anything that close to each other in these size boats!

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Thinking about it some more the Hunter 19 water ballasted boat, motor and trailer probably come in at about #2500 and that's before you put the first cooler in.

I used to tow a Sunfish with a '71 Super Beatle convertible it was an odd looking combination.

May 31, 2017
San Juan 23 Eugene
Just so you all can see here is my 2004 Bio-Diesel Beetle TDI out in John Day post Solar Eclipse....a 10 day trip to Idaho with teardrop and canoe, 2 + coolers, 5 extra gallons of BioDiesel, and food and other gear!
Beetle-In-JohnDay-loaded-small-web.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Having done things like that in my youth I was accused of car abuse.

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
I think we are leaning toward the:
Starwind 19 (designed by Jim Taylor)- provided we can ever find one close - I found on that appears to be in great shape but it's in Georgia, and another one in Pennsylvania - Or the other branded Sprindrift 19 = same boat...one in Wisconsin...
Also interested in the
Precision 18 - (also designed by Jim Taylor) provided we can afford one and find one closer to the west coast.
https://tayloryachtdesigns.com/designs/precision-small-fast-and-fun/
Lastly I think the:
Montgomery '17 could be a good choice too, it's a bit tighter then we'd like but it could work - if we find ones close to us. I like the "folding mast" concept and the interior seems well though out.

Please if you have any other suggestions let me know.

Also has anyone ever used U-ship to ship a sailboat? Or does anyone have another good idea about shipping a boat cross country - short of towing it yourself?
I'm sure you could U-ship a small sailboat. Probably better to have it put on a flatbed and shipped than to tow it several hundred miles on an unfamiliar trailer.
I'm about an hour from New London, WI (I'm assuming that's the one) if you want me to go check out the general condition of the Spindrift for you send me a PM.

May 31, 2017
San Juan 23 Eugene
I'm sure you could U-ship a small sailboat. Probably better to have it put on a flatbed and shipped than to tow it several hundred miles on an unfamiliar trailer.
I'm about an hour from New London, WI (I'm assuming that's the one) if you want me to go check out the general condition of the Spindrift for you send me a PM.
Thanks Yes I know a flatbed would be ideal. II really appreciate eh the offer to look at the Spindrift, that's awesome! I've also found a Starwind 19 in Illinois - near Chicago that just might be the one... Awaiting more communication.

May 31, 2017
San Juan 23 Eugene
I May strongly contemplate flying to Chicago to procure the Starwind 19 via a one way flight. I've been looking into enterprise truck rentals to tow with... It seems like they are usually rented to be returned to place of pick up. Does anyone know otherwise? Or have another suggestion of a truck rental for towing a boat?

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
I don't have a better solution, but once you get a quote from Enterprise, check U-ship, car haulers and maybe even LTL. The problem you might run into with those is midwest shippers don't like crossing the Rockies and price accordingly.

May 31, 2017
San Juan 23 Eugene
I don't have a better solution, but once you get a quote from Enterprise, check U-ship, car haulers and maybe even LTL. The problem you might run into with those is midwest shippers don't like crossing the Rockies and price accordingly.
Yes understood, and thank you for your suggestions. What exactly is LTL? At one point a few years back I looked into hauling a boat from Maine to Oregon and found quite a distance in pricing....and likely service. I believe it was throug a bid service and U-Ship.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
A one way Ford F-150 from Enterprise is $2150/week from Chicago O’Hare to Eugene airport.

May 31, 2017
San Juan 23 Eugene
Last edited: