Converting sails to furler

Sep 6, 2018
hunter 240 indianapolis
i have a new to me roller furler I hope to use next year. Does anyone have advice on converting a sail from hanked to taped for a furler?

Is it better to buy a new sail or convert existing? My sails are nowhere near new...

And should I just do a large head sail only?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Hey, a new member. Welcome. I hope you have been finding what you need here.
What do you have for a hank-on now?
It should not be hard to convert.
http://www.bartonmarine.com/tech-info-jib-furling-fitting-instructions-sail-hanks.asp
I don't know why Barton Marine doesn't remove the hanks, but the above link shows one way to do it.

I would think you would want to take this opportunity to get a new sail also. Your pointing ability will improve. No need to get a larger sail than what you normally wish to sail with. As you furl (reef) a roller furling jib, you lose the efficiency of the shape. The camber becomes more pronounced and running close hauled gets harder to do. So I would not get over sized, just to have it accessible. Get the size you will pull out under most circumstances.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
... Does anyone have advice on converting a sail from hanked to taped for a furler?And should I just do a large head sail only?
When I put a furler on my O'Day 222, I took the OEM jib to a loft to add luff tape. The guy said nothing, but once the job was done and sail on the boat, I found it would not roll up "properly" due to the large headboard still in place. I took it to sell at Bacons, and bought a sail there that had the sun panel and proper size luff tape. And it was big- certainly a 150 for my boat, maybe bigger. Playing with it, I found I could sheet it to the WINDWARD cabin-top cleat. It did'nt even touch the leeward shrouds. Not that I used it that way, but found out I could.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Welcome!!

Other Hunter 240 sailors would know, but you want to keep the sailplan balanced. Larger isn't always better (in boats anyway). If the sails are old, money might be better spent on a new one already cut for the furler. Either way, any loft will know what needs to be done.

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
I recently got a CDI furler. My head sail -130 genoa- was a hank on. I removed the hanks and removed the grommets from the sail. The ends were surprisingly clean and not frayed It had enough of a luff wire in the sail to fit the groove perfectly. A little tight but I keep it on the foil. I used some food grade silicone spray and it slid right on. It was a classic. Did it all in my kitchen and hallway. Best mod I ever did. No ore walk of death when reducing sail in any kind of weather. I just bought a sock from Lee Sailcovers for when I trailer. Real nice. I keep it on the mast when trailering.