Mold/Teak

Nov 21, 2018
Skipper 20 Skipper 20 New orleans
I have stumbled upon a skipper 20 with a sagging headliner. I removed headliner to find the whole cabin ceiling covered in mold. what are the best way to kill mold? Bleach?

the second is in this cabin it has about 25 feet of damaged teak trim, since we are from New orleans area we were thinking about replacing with cypress? any thought?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I have stumbled upon a skipper 20 with a sagging headliner. I removed headliner to find the whole cabin ceiling covered in mold. what are the best way to kill mold? Bleach?

Take a look at Practical Sailor and Formula B. It is a mold killer that is based on Borax. Much kinder to humans than bleach, just as effective.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
as a replacement for Teak, I've been using a south American wood called Ipe. Finishes like teak. VERY very hard though- use carbide tools

Often used as dock boards now

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Our department of health says one teaspoon of bleach for each gallon of cool water is even safe for dishes (assuming you let them dry.) I've successfully used bleach water in a sprayer. Vinegar also works from a garden sprayer, but I understand it takes a stronger mix. Please be careful breathing around that stuff. I've had pneumonia twice from breathing mold. It's no fun.

For wood, it's really up to your taste and budget. Teak is known for not rotting like some other wood.
Ken

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Vinegar is easy to use, distilled vinegar and water. No smell. Spray and Wipe down all surfaces.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
we are from New orleans area we were thinking about replacing with cypress? any thought?
Looks like Cypress might be a good choice. I personally haven't used it in boatbuilding, but the data on it looks quite good. You are using it on an interior application. Go for it!

dj

Nov 21, 2018
Our department of health says one teaspoon of bleach for each gallon of cool water is even safe for dishes (assuming you let them dry.) I've successfully used bleach water in a sprayer. Vinegar also works from a garden sprayer, but I understand it takes a stronger mix. Please be careful breathing around that stuff. I've had pneumonia twice from breathing mold. It's no fun.

For wood, it's really up to your taste and budget. Teak is known for not rotting like some other wood.
Ken
Thank you sir, health is best

Nov 21, 2018
13/16 at 12 ft long that I can rip in half is on 1.79 ft, compared to outrageous teak prices, it won’t last as long but I think I will be happy with it. This is a project boat I guess. Just getting her cabin all situated before 1st launch. I had all the sails looked at by sail shop and got new sheets, halyards and some proper shackles. But I’m a virgin so all the help is so helpful. I’m very Thankful for this group right now

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Kerrymorganandersen
Both vinegar (an acid) and bleach (a base) will disrupt the ph of mold killing it and allowing you to clean up your boat. Just never use them together.

The Formula B is also good for the problem you have, probably with fewer risks and longer duration. One of the benefits of borax.

Just wear breathing protection and maintain a well ventilated space while correcting the problem.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Hello Kerrymorgananderson and welcome to the SBO forums.

We replaced headliners on two boats after cleaning the interior. I cannot remember the cleaning chemical, but I suspect Lysol spray was the weapon of choice. Better to follow the other suggestions here for disinfecting. However, spray adhesive worked very well on a carpet-type headliner, but the same spray did not work on a vinyl headliner. Florida summer heat made the glue lose its hold. The installation wasn't too difficult after the first area was attached. In the smaller boat we started at the aft of the cabin, while in the larger boat we started in the V berth. In each case we covered half the cabin (either port or starboard) first. If the seam along the centerline was visible we covered it with a wooden strip. With the carpet covering it was easier to disguise the seam. Check for leaks and address them before installing the liner.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I wouldn't use teak in any case. I'd use Ipe, or several other woods. But Cypress actually looks like an excellent wood in this application. Just my 2 cents worth.

dj

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Our boat had some mold when we purchased her in 2002. Then we used Soft Scrub brand kitchen cleaner. Did a nice job ridding the boat of the mold but also stopped future mold from taking hold. Over the years I've kept a drier on in each cabin along with a space heater set on low to avoid freezing during the winter months. Also keep a hatch cracked open to let any moist air escape.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Kerry,
Is the teak so badly damaged that it can’t be refurbished?

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Ipe is very very heavy - you will add weight to the boat. It’s hard on blades. I made some doorboards for @jssailem out of it - look good but not real functional due to weight. Ipe is traditionally used for cap and rub rails on boats, where it goes by the name iron wood.

It turns grey like teak if not maintained, and cities like South Beach, Fl use it for boardwalk decks.

Les

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
a. The weakness of bleach is that it has very poor penetrating power. It will kill what is on the surface, but not the roots.
b. If you read the Hallberg Rassy manual for teak maintenance, the recommended product (Boracol) is based on borax. They know more about teak than any of us.

You can Google DIY versions of Boracol. Borax and boric acid are dissolved in ethylene glycol using heat, forming borate esters. This can be diluted in water to make an effective penetrating preservative.

The problem with vinegar is that in damp circumstances, it becomes mold food, increasing growth. But obviously you need to solve the dampness problem too.

http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2016/12/mildew-treatment-for-pennies.html

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
Gel toilet bowel cleaner. With bleach. Roll on roof top with paint roller thick knap let sit a whole day then rince with hose.

Nov 21, 2018
Well it’s there but broken in sections. I will remove this weekend and send more pics to u. I do have a question though. Why is there a 3/8 plywood under port holes and going towards bow? Because it is rotten and causing this mold plus all the humidity in south Louisiana

Attachments

Nov 21, 2018
Kerry,
Is the teak so badly damaged that it can’t be refurbished?
Well it’s there but broken in sections. I will remove this weekend and send more pics to u. I do have a question though. Why is there a 3/8 plywood under port holes and going towards bow? Because it is rotten and causing this mold plus all the humidity in south Louisiana

Attachments

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
If the plywood is deep inside the hull to deck joint it may be there to stiffen the joint. Or it may be there to provide a more consistent corner for the headliner to wrap around. The piece below the deck joint looks like it is there to secure the headliner or a fancy trim piece.

As you put the boat back together, think about ventilation. More ventilation means less mold and mildew.