Golden Globe race - to qualify!

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Being of huge reader of Moitessier, knox-johnston, and the like since way before I took up sailing, I was really thinking I'd be into this when I first heard about it.
But, meh... couldn't really care about any of the participants or tracking the race. I guess the Vendee Globe and to a lesser extent, the VOR really takes the wind out of the GG's sails.
That's funny, 'cause I'm exactly the opposite. Finally, a race that pits sailors against each other instead of the biggest bank account. Just sailors sailing without the aid of hundreds of thousands of dollars (certainly more than a GGR boat costs) of fancy equipment and electronic toys that in my opinion, cover for the user's lack of skill, in many cases.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I don't think it's lack of skill, but rather a different kind of skill. There's huge skill required to push those modern boats around as quickly as they do. In my mind there is no question they are extremely talented, excellent sailors.

There is the aspects of ever increasing technological dependence/use. I think the weekend sailor that goes out extending their range well beyond the abilities aided by technology is another question, and I think perhaps the one you are referring to.

If I am heading off shore, I'd take a Volvo Ocean race sailor (for example) with no qualms. Just some of the usual 'find out if we are compatible' type questions.

Now if it's a weekend sailor who tells me he has done some ocean sailing I will be asking a shit-ton more questions. That experience won't be a green light from me. A while lot of needed hands on knowledge will have to be shown.

What an awesome experience to have actually sailed with Bernard M. I met him in France when they were inducting one of his sailboats into the museum. I met him after all of the hullabaloo and he was just sitting and chatting with folks on the docks.

dj

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
In every endeavor, advancing technology changes the skills needed to compete. Today’s race car drivers don’t shift the car manually, and have the cars systems monitored remotely via telematics. In the past, drivers had a mechanic ride along, keeping the car going. Someone could start a retro 1911 Indy car race, and I would find it interesting, but not representitive of modern racing skills.

52695174-1966-4EA0-9DF0-D1F065A70FC1.jpeg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
drivers had a mechanic ride along, keeping the car going.
Now that would be a bit of a hoot. Cars pulling off to the side of the track while the mechanic dives in under the hood... “Give it a go! No wait... Now”. VAROOOOOM. And off you go... Kind of like a Keystone Cops movie.
Sure it would not compete with NASCAR, but it would make for an interesting afternoon on a small track where you could see most of the action. You might even introduce random failures just to see if the mechanic has any skills.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Now that would be a bit of a hoot. Cars pulling off to the side of the track while the mechanic dives in under the hood....
Amazingly, lots of this was done while the car was moving. Grease pumps on everything.

Oct 22, 2014
This is a tough race even for the best.
Here is his statement:
Important message from Jean Luc:

I had plenty of time to think about my situation during these four days of fleeing dry cape (en cape sèche) (220 miles lost to the North). The holding of my mast is today extremely precarious after my capsize. If I stop doing a repair, it will only be temporary. In order for Matmut to continue sailing, it will take more or less long to change to a new mast.

So I decided to save my soul (dixit Moitessier) to continue my route non-stop and head for Les Sables d'Olonne.

As soon as the sea will allow it I will climb in the mast to secure it as best as possible with the means of the edge. If I dismount, I have like all competitors a makeshift rig that will allow me to reach a port in full autonomy. I am no longer in racing mode but in safe mode. This is not the first time I will attempt to bring home a wounded boat. And if by miracle I get to the Sands, I do not care about the rankings, at least I will have tried. I cross my fingers and thank all those who help me in this adventure.​

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
Jen-Luc's still in it. (And still leading but with an 18 hour penalty.)

At 1900hrs on NOV. 8th, GGR received a call from J-L VDHadvising that he had changed his mind and now intended to continue in the Race and not head to Chile, and confirmed that he had rung his wife in the hours after the mast problem. GGR advised that he would be moved to the Chichester Class. J-L VDHrequested that he be considered for a TIME PENALTY instead of being relegated to the CHICHESTER CLASS for his Satphone use, since no support was provided by the phone use and his HAM radio comms were good and providing all advice and assistance.

FINDINGS
It is confirmed that J-L VDH did use his Satphone in the first hours after the mast damage. This action breeched NOR 3.1.4 TELEPHONE CONTACT. It is confirmed that NO MATERIAL assistance was provided by the use of the phone and no further phone use was made during subsequent days.

PENALTY
In the spirit of the GOLDEN GLOBE RACE and noting the fact that J-L VDH received NO MATERIAL ASSISTANCE through the use of his GGR Satphone, GGR Organisers have applied an 18-hour time penalty to J-L VDH to be served in the GGR PENALTY BOX.

Oct 22, 2014
It is likely a good outcome for Jen-Luc. He has competed so well and has a remarkable lead on the other sailors. Yet it was accomplished at a cost. One of the issues for this event is the mental. By reaching his wife and discussing his survival with her did he get help on not within the rules.

That is for the rules committee to decide, and they have.

That is a difficult race.

Oct 3, 2014
Marlow-Hunter MH37 Lake City, MN
Not only did Jean-Luc get an 18 hour penalty, he also lost ground when he was heading north to port for nearly 4 days before he changed his mind and headed back south.

When I started paying attention to this race, about a month before they started, I had three favorites for various reason...Slats (record for solo rowing across the Atlantic), Goodall (only female), and Kopar (only one sailing under the US flag), but it wasn't long before I was cheering for every one still in the race.

There's already news about who's entering the 2022 GGR, and it will include Don McIntyre, the race director.
https://goldengloberace.com/theyre-back-in-2022/

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I said from the beginning of this thread that I thought restrictions on using modern navigation and electronics is silly and dangerous. The original contestants would have used modern stuff if they had them. It's not like they eschewed the sextant to use a quadrant. Or left their chronometers home. And I can't understand penalizing someone who calls to tell his wife he is still alive and wants to have the conversation with her about continuing to risk his life.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
I And I can't understand penalizing someone who calls to tell his wife he is still alive and wants to have the conversation with her about continuing to risk his life.
Reminds me of the movie about the 1996 Everest disaster where 8 people died. Most poignant part of the movie when one climber called his wife on his sat phone to say goodbye because he wasn't going to survive the storm.

Oct 22, 2014
I think it is the correct thing to do. Call your loved one and share. Even so, if the rules say that is contrary to what you signed up for, then suck it up. The isolation of the experience is a factor in the race. A time penalty is so much better than a demotion to the alternate class for a racer in this race. On the other hand both the race classes are big thing to accomplish.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Reminds me of the movie about the 1996 Everest disaster where 8 people died. Most poignant part of the movie when one climber called his wife on his sat phone to say goodbye because he wasn't going to survive the storm.
Into Thin Air. Jon Krakauer?

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
I liked her other statement:
‘IN NEED OF A GOOD CUPPA TEA! BUT SADLY NO COOKER’