Commissioning tasks and ongoing improvements of a 83 Cat 22 from trailer to saltwatercamper

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
You are seeing the Falls of Clyde stripped down to lowest masts and a marine museum in the background, head on shot to clear your twisted perspective.
Hawaii 2018  (67).JPG

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
According to the Wikipedia entry, she's the last remaining sail driven oil tanker. That's some irony - using sail to increase the viability of cheap fuel for engines that put sail out of business. I love those classic ships, and there are some neat historic videos on YT, shot from the seaman's view, of the last square rigged ships that rounded the capes in the wool trade, etc. It would have been great to travel on one under full sail, and it's shame more of them can't be preserved. Hard to duplicate that experience.

Sep 14, 2014
Good news is yet another rescue op is underway, towing it back to Scotland to original yard and doing a rehab. Lots of money and permits needed. Has to be seaworthy enough to be towed.
fALLS OF CLYDE STICKER.jpg

Sep 14, 2014
Its called technically enhance presybioptia, old eyes and too cheap to buy giganto monitor. Common in old sailors on a fixed income. LOL

Sep 14, 2014
By the way my attic (aka v berth) contains several of my convenience items created for overnights and buggy days. Insert crib board with screen, screen that mounts under foredeck hatch and does not interfere with hatch opening and a inexpensive pvc and free tarp from Harbor Freight boom tent. Details on these available on request. Picture is labeled!
attic stuff.jpg

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
How did you set-up the screen attachments for the foredeck hatch? I'm planning to make something like that myself.

If you can find a "bed sized" full mosquito net, it can be draped over a cockpit bimini top - to also help with buggy anchorages.

Sep 14, 2014
It is a two side bag of mosquito netting with a square wire frame inside that is just a little bigger in each dimension than the bottom lip of the hatch. Two bungee cords hook onto the frame on the side and hook onto the outside lip of the hatch coaming on the deck. Just keep them short enough to keep the frame held up under the bottom of the hatch inside and you can put the hatch down as needed to work around at anchor or keep out rain. Easy peasy!

Sep 14, 2014
Also when I drop the hatch with this screen still rigged it does not interfere with the fan in the solar vent in the hatch too.

Sep 14, 2014
After many days of inclement weather , mainly torrential rains and cold and no real decent reliable winds. I finally got out on Jan 5 and broke the Three Mile bridge in Pensacola Bay . Here is couple of shots of bridge rebuild and proof I broke the bridge.
3 mile bridge 1 5 2019 (12).JPG
3 mile bridge 1 5 2019 (6).JPG
3 mile bridge 1 5 2019 (10).JPG
3 mile bridge 1 5 2019 (2).JPG

Sep 14, 2014
The Lynx has just pulled into town. Nice looking topsail schooner. But be careful trying to board she is armed.
Lynx feb 6 2019 (28).JPG
Lynx feb 6 2019 (11).JPG

Sep 14, 2014
Used the odd down time of winter weather har har in Pensacola to redo the teak with detail sander and two coats of oil. Also put on new vinyl Cat 22 decals to replace worn out original extrusions, See cheap fixes on Cat 22 thread for details.
Teak oiled brightwork.jpg

Sep 14, 2014
Yep balmy 69 degrees and humidity down to 50 percent so teak oil would soak in not freeze.