Its that time again....

Oct 13, 2018
venture 222 georgia
I have recently purchased a 1971 Venture 222. This is my first attempt to sail, and restore a boat. I would appreciate ANY and ALL advice that I can get. I have purchased This Old Boat and Fix It and Sail It.
Rranger and Todd Atchinson have already been helpful! I am currently looking to attach a Hood Yacht Systems SeaFlex furler onto the mast and any help with what blocks, lines, line sizes, routing, boom set up, etc. would be helpful. I will post pictures ASAP....thanks, Jim

Feb 28, 2018
MacGregor 25 Orlando
Don’t know if you’ve seen this, but it would seem to be the installation manual for your furler. A quick perusal seems to be pretty detailed about what they expect the hardware to be and how to hook it up. Also, they do say that the biggest installation issue is the “halyard wrap.”

Good luck!

https://www.defender.com/pdf/613102.pdf

-Peter

Jan 25, 2017
Macgregor V222 Kentucky Lake
Jim,

I would say the YouTube suggestion is some good advice. I've seen a couple of models like that but, have no practical experience. You're gonna love a furling headsail. It's a game changer. I have a very old, very primitive furler and am pleased as punch. They are all very simple at their core. Think rolling shade.

Feb 28, 2018
MacGregor 25 Orlando
I’m with Todd : You’re gonna love that thing once you get it set up and going. If worse comes to worse, go to Blue Water and decide if it’s worth getting a new one - it’s like $600, but other than sail’s, likely the best $600 investment for new gear you can get for the boat. Or use the $600 number as motivation to get yours working!

http://shop.bwyachts.com/product-p/3601-110.htm

On the off chance you want to look at it!

Good luck!

-Peter

Jan 25, 2017
It's been my experience with every boat I've fixed and sailed, that the anxiety is often times much worse before doing the actual thing. This should be one of those cases... do your homework but don't stress too much. Just do it. Save the $600 you're going to need it!

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Todd is spot on. I asked a million and one questions and stressed over every little detail before I got my last boat in the water. After a couple of weeks I realized what mattered, what didnt and that I just needed to jump in and do it

Feb 28, 2018
MacGregor 25 Orlando
I still ask a thousand and one questions, read tons, and then say "That was it?" after the dust settles. It is, for me, a nice slow long enjoyable process, combined with sailing (once I got the sails squared away - that was a bit of a project). What more could you ask for? The rest of it, you'll get to. She'll happily wait for those improvements/fixes, so long as you sail her!

My two cents - worth exactly what you paid for it! lol

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I think most of us will come to a point and ask, "Do I want to work on a boat or sail it?"

Most of us will prefer the latter and start sailing her as is while continuing to work on her

Oct 13, 2018
venture 222 georgia
Guys, thanks for the morale boost! The weather herenis sucky right now and Im working under a tarp, and its just rough. I want to put it into the water this weekend, just to get a feel....

Jan 25, 2017
It's pretty campy but classic! The boat in the movie was a Formosa 51. I admit, we actually looked at one in FLA this past October. That being said, bigger boat - bigger problems. Though I think we all deep down want a schooner... at least I do.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
@jimrichey If you have power available, I'd recommend buying a torpedo style Kerosene heater. A 35k BTU model will heat up an uninsulated, leaky garage like it's a sauna after about 30 minutes. I picked up a used one a few years ago for 30 or $40. Just make sure you dont spill kerosene. You WILL regret it.

If power is not available I've seen smaller propane heaters rated for indoor use (primarily for RV's and camping) for about the same price

Oct 13, 2018
venture 222 georgia
Thanks Mayhem!!! Its raining so much and I am working from dark to dark. I think we will have some sunshine and 60 degrees on Saturday and I might have a local boat dealer that will allow me to use his A frame for keel inspection. Here is a picture of it as I got it.

Attachments

Feb 28, 2018
MacGregor 25 Orlando
Here is a picture of it as I got it.
Pretty boat! The window on the front of the house looks a lot nicer than the window someone installed on mine (window is a generous description - hole in the house covered by a piece of plastic). What is the thing sticking up on the foredeck? To raise a stormsail? Gonna presume the pic was at the PO’s place or yours, but that wasn’t how it was transported. Definitely looks like a great boat - you’re gonna love it when you get out on her. Shame about the weather slowing you down.

Good, saw the movie this weekend - love that Formosa! Of course, I love ketches in general. I also am into big catamarans - Chris White designed at 63’ ketch rigged cat that I would love one day to modify the plans a little and build. Funny movie, though - wish I looked that good in a speedo!

Jim, have fun on the boat this weekend (hopefully)!

-Peter