Russian Sailboat

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 33 Metedeconk River
IMG_4411.JPG Saw this sailboat last week. Don't know if I would want something like this. Doesn't really seem like it would be sailing. More information on Wikipedia under "A" sailing yacht.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
It's in the eye of the beholder,
Interior shots were pretty posh but can't help wondering what it would be like after a couple of hours beating to weather with the lee rail in the water.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Before passing judgment, I'll wait to see what it looks like with the sails up on a close reach.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Steel and glass, arresting sheer. Not much in the way of warmth to the design.

Not what I would term beautiful.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I doubt one would or could put the rail under on something like that. Most of those are stabilized motor boats with masts when it comes to the reality of going on day trips.
We very rarely see any of the "sailing" yachts under sail when they are going between anchorages down here.
Another vote for way ugly.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Before passing judgment, I'll wait to see what it looks like with the sails up on a close reach.
With that much freeboard, would it even sail on a close reach? Most sailboats have the cabin walls angled in, which should help spill the wind off, rather than trap it. The front of the boat is tall, and angled out, which would trap the wind rather than spill it.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
It's probably a Russian surveillance boat and those masts are antennas :liar:
When we would deploy with the Midway back in the 70's, there would always be a fishing trawler following us.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Steel and glass, arresting sheer. Not much in the way of warmth to the design.

Not what I would term beautiful.
I don't think they were going for graceful and beautiful but rather... I'm a bad a$$ M-F'er and I must break you...

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
I would guess it is just for sailing on a beam reach or broad reach, kind of like that big square rigger. And that just for saving fuel on long runs. I cannot imagine why! Whoever can afford this can surely afford to dump basket-loads of $100 bills over the gunwhale!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
It's nice to look at a $500,000,000 dollar yacht, and be able to honestly say "mine's prettier". :)
Seriously. When is the last time you looked at a mega yacht of any value and thought, that boat is prettier than my boat. I've seen appealing mega yachts, but none I would ever have called pretty.

-Will (Dragonfly)