Do you shop wearables online?

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Much of our boat stuff, such as clothes, flatware, cookware, dishes, etc. came from either a thrift store or a garage sale (tag sale for east coast folks).

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I buy everything I can online, usually Amazon Prime so returns are easy.
I tried just ordering a tank top on Prime in my regular size and it didn't fit. Another size up would have fit like a dress. Frustrating.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
I've had success buying some loser-fitting things on the web, if they have a decent return policy. Foulies, t-shirts, swimsuits, and hats seem to be loose or adjustable enough that I've not had a problem. As a side note, I bought my HL foulies that way, and they are a prized possession. I'm not brave enough to buy really fitted stuff, like shoes, on-line as a minor difference would cause problems.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I'm a :plus:on finding loose fitting gear and making online purchases. The line gets drawn at form fitting gear. (not in my usual need it category)
But what really bugs me is Costco changing the way they make their jeans. The sizes have changed. Now I have to have the legs shortened as they no longer had the odd length size. 31 to 32 is the difference between a fit and walking on the pant leg with my heel... :banghead:

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
The only places I have ever dared to purchase clothes on line have been Lands End and LL Bean. I have found that the quality has always been good, and I guess I fall into a category that the fit is good.

Most of the time, I would much rather go into a good bricks and mortar store to see the quality, and that the clothes fit. I haven’t bought a suit since I retired, and that was so long ago that the retailer I used has gone out of business.

Aug 2, 2010
J-Boat J/88 Cobourg
Can you really save enough to make that aggravation OK? Why not buy from your chandler who is there when you need something today. I have bought a couple of items on line when I couldn't find them locally and these purchases went well so I understand the allure, but that company you count on needs support or they won't be there when you need to get something fixed right now.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
I agree with your sentiment, @danstanford that we should support local businesses as they’re here when we need them. They also support local boating activities such as safety and sail training. West Marine in the US is now price matching, and shipping to their stores free, so there’s not even a price excuse. Unfortunately, some of us don’t live near many local shops, or selections are limited.