Sail to the shift or sail the long leg first?

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
In upwind racing strategy there are two sayings: "sail to the shift" and "sail the long leg first". It seems that I do not really understand this because these two approaches seem to contradict each other. What am I not understanding?

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
This isnt just for racing its sailing in general.

Long path is just a best practice assuming all things equal. Sideways slippage increases over time. Its better to reduce the number of tacks so that by the time you get to the tack, most sideways slippage is already absorbed. The shorter the first tack the higher the probability that the sideways slippage results in a miscalculateded final tack position.

If the wind shifts, then the long tack might not be ideal, so tack to be on the better wind

Attachments

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
The Bay is a perfect example. In most cases the summer wind comes from 242 degrees, just south of west.

If the RC sets up the line perfectly against the wind, that's great, but the first windward mark is almost guaranteed to NOT be exactly perpendicular to the line. Why? 'Cuz they use fixed buoys for turning marks. So, yes, there definitely IS a long board involved.

Shifts? A "notorious" one is Pt. Blount. Let's say your start line is in Berkeley, first windward mark is Harding Rock. If you head off on port tack to the northwest, you will soon find a HUGE LIFT as you near Pt. Blount, because the wind curves around the S side of Angel Island.

So, in one race, you get both long boards and shifts.

Not contradictory at all.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
These are general (and somewhat related) race strategies,

Sail the long leg first' is often mis-understood and means that in general, you should sail on the tack that takes you closest (best VMG) to the mark. Very rarely are the two sides even. This long leg will be the 'lifted' tack due to a oscillating shift, or the result of what I write below. It also can mean the the much longer leg of a 'rectangular' course, which is just a good idea. Note that the 'long' leg can change as you approach lay-lines... so think about tacking when that happens.

When you wrote, 'sail to the shift' you really meant 'sail to the EXPECTED PERSISTENT shift'

If you know the wind is going to go (and stay) right, immediately heading right at all cost will pay huge dividends when it does. When the shift hits you dig in for awhile then tack, and suddenly you are on the 'long leg' pointing much closer to the mark. Zoom!

dell1edit.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
This isnt just for racing its sailing in general.

Long path is just a best practice assuming all things equal. Sideways slippage increases over time. Its better to reduce the number of tacks so that by the time you get to the tack, most sideways slippage is already absorbed. The shorter the first tack the higher the probability that the sideways slippage results in a miscalculateded final tack position.

If the wind shifts, then the long tack might not be ideal, so tack to be on the better wind
Bobby I can't understand what you are trying to say. All boats have leeway correct, but its the same on both tacks. It sounds like you are trying to say don't go the short side layline because its so hard to call due to distance to the mark, but your picture does not reflect that.

Apr 16, 2017
Jack

Leeway is the same on both directions.

If looking at picture boat 1 goes on long tack first they will drift the entire time downwind until they reach the ideal time to tack to end mark. The next leg of the tack is much shorter and the sideways drift will be less random. The guess on the last tack will be more accurate.

If boat takes the short tack it will probably be on a less favored wind. When the ideal time to tack occurs the boat wont have drifted much, but the goal is very far away. The increased random nature of the next leg means the location of the tack after the short leg is suspect. The actual path will likely require a corrective couple of tacks.

Pick the favored tack and sail it as long as possible. By sailing the longrst tack first you eliminate risk. Risk reduces value for those that must endure it, and increase value for those that can pass it off.

Nov 8, 2010
Jack

Leeway is the same on both directions.

If looking at picture boat 1 goes on long tack first they will drift the entire time downwind until they reach the ideal time to tack to end mark. The next leg of the tack is much shorter and the sideways drift will be less random. The guess on the last tack will be more accurate.

If boat takes the short tack it will probably be on a less favored wind. When the ideal time to tack occurs the boat wont have drifted much, but the goal is very far away. The increased random nature of the next leg means the location of the tack after the short leg is suspect. The actual path will likely require a corrective couple of tacks.

Pick the favored tack and sail it as long as possible. By sailing the longrst tack first you eliminate risk. Risk reduces value for those that must endure it, and increase value for those that can pass it off.
OK the picture now makes more sense. The solid black line is also the course of a boat that went left and did the short leg. Got it.

May 23, 2016
O'Day 1984 23 Island Park, NY
"sail to the next shift" isn't just for an expected persistent shift... It's good in oscillating wind too... When the wind shifts right boats on the right get an advantage (once they and everyone tack) proportional to how far right they are of other boats... Also when the shift hits you'll want to tack and head left (to be lifted, and to sail towards the next shift)... Can't do that if you were heading left and hit the layline...

Sailing the longer tack first also helps you keep otions open for longer, as it keeps you from a layline longer... If you sail the short tack first you hit the layline, tack, and then can't tack to take advantage of any more shifts... True whether there's a longer tack because of a persistent shift or leg geometry (next mark isnt perfectly upwind)

Nov 8, 2010
"sail to the next shift" isn't just for an expected persistent shift... It's good in oscillating wind too... When the wind shifts right boats on the right get an advantage (once they and everyone tack) proportional to how far right they are of other boats... Also when the shift hits you'll want to tack and head left (to be lifted, and to sail towards the next shift)... Can't do that if you were heading left and hit the layline...

Sailing the longer tack first also helps you keep otions open for longer, as it keeps you from a layline longer... If you sail the short tack first you hit the layline, tack, and then can't tack to take advantage of any more shifts... True whether there's a longer tack because of a persistent shift or leg geometry (next mark isnt perfectly upwind)
Re your first point, yes but not so much. In oscillating wind of course you are always sailing toward a shift. But the overarching goal is to stay lifted. When sailing to a persistant shift, you actually drive through a knock to get there. That’s different.

Second point totally agree. Like I said in my first post, sometime the long tack is no longer the lifted one as you approach the corners or laylines of the course. It helps keep you away from the lay lines and more in the middle.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
A bunch of us cruisers do the coast of NJ similarly. After a cold front the NW wind gives you a good ride from Sandy Hook that you hope lasts until you get passed Barnegat Inlet then N wind until you round Cape May. If you have any luck the wind might swing to the east as you follow the tide up Delaware Bay. It happened for us last week NYC to the Sassafras River, 32 hours, one tack. The wind blew 15-20 kts most of the time. If you get a southerly wind, you have to do long/short tacks, motor into the wind, or wait in a harbor somewhere along the way.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Good point, jd. It's what I meant about Pt. Blount.
This is more of what is called a 'geographic shift'; a wind phenomena (change in angle or pressure) based on land formations. This can be an island, shore, a bluff, etc. Good local knowledge will let smart sailors take advantage of the gain presented. Often these are not course-wide, so you have to balance the effect with your race strategy.

Nov 8, 2010
Here’s a perfect example of how a persistent shift would play out in real life. Noticed the wind going hard left over the course of the race day. Anyone who didn’t drive left to get into that, then tack and take the long leg up would be at a serious disadvantage.

9DC1050B-B59C-428B-BCEF-AFDD68D59093.jpeg

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Jackdaw if you were using the telltales on the headsail, would you trim to the top pair then adjust the fairlead car or trim to the center telltales?

Nov 8, 2010
Jackdaw if you were using the telltales on the headsail, would you trim to the top pair then adjust the fairlead car or trim to the center telltales?
I always suggest to get the steering (mid-lower) tell-tails flying first, mostly so the driver can drive accurately. And they usually are the most willing to fly anyway. Then trim the tops as best you can. Often shear and wind gradients make it hard to get them perfect. So do the best you can.

On BlueJ our steering telltails are bigger and in a clear view window. The trim telltales are lighter and arranged in 3 groups of 3 on each side. Drivers job is to drive the steering telltales. The trimmers job is to get all them to break at the same time.

Apr 16, 2017
I always suggest to get the steering (mid-lower) tell-tails flying first, mostly so the driver can drive accurately. And they usually are the most willing to fly anyway. Then trim the tops as best you can. Often shear and wind gradients make it hard to get them perfect. So do the best you can.

On BlueJ our steering telltails are bigger and in a clear view window. The trim telltales are lighter and arranged in 3 groups of 3 on each side. Drivers job is to drive the steering telltales. The trimmers job is to get all them to break at the same time.
Some day this post will be the top ten on sail trim. Really not much more to add other than a picture of telltale locations. Simple and to the point.

Apr 16, 2017
Here’s a perfect example of how a persistent shift would play out in real life. Noticed the wind going hard left over the course of the race day. Anyone who didn’t drive left to get into that, then tack and take the long leg up would be at a serious disadvantage.

View attachment 158030
Cant believe how long it took for me to realize the wind changes during the day AND to correlate that with what wind i would like to return to the dock on.

I would leave the dock heading upwind so there is a relaxing slog home, only to find out 5 hours later I've tacked 5 miles up wind and now have to tack upwind 5 miles back.

Nov 8, 2010
Cant believe how long it took for me to realize the wind changes during the day AND to correlate that with what wind i would like to return to the dock on.

I would leave the dock heading upwind so there is a relaxing slog home, only to find out 5 hours later I've tacked 5 miles up wind and now have to tack upwind 5 miles back.
Its the sailing version of your parents tale of how they walked 5 miles to school every day; each way was uphill!

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Is it possible to get a picture / diagram of this arrangement? I am looking at changing / adding more telltales to my main and jib.