Corsair 31 feedback

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Thanks, I've read the F-24 is wet ride, even the F-27 is pretty wet. I was really wondering about the 31 since it seems bigger and maybe more freeboard? We have some pretty low wind days around here but the gusting can get up fast with fronts coming over the mountains. The owner sent me an email, he seems to be having issues sending pics so trying another email. I might play skip work on Friday and head out to look at it if I can get some pics and description.
They are only wet when sailing over 12 knots or really bashing to weather over 9 knots, and then only very slightly. I only wear rain gear when it is actually raining. I've been on monos that are much wetter. In fact, the tramps catch a lot of the spray from windward.

BTW, Corsairs cannot fly the center hull. The floats go under (or at least deeper than you want them) first. The windward hull is out, but it barely touches the water at rest, so that does not count.

Folding the floats takes about 2-3 minutes and you typically do it while motoring into the marina. This is true of all Corsairs. They were the first brand to offer this. My last marina had a skinny slip and it was OK. I keep it spread now, but only because I found a 24' wide slip for $125/mo. What the heck.

The Telstar is a nice boat. More room, easier ride, slower.

Last edited:

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
So more details. 2003 Corsair 31 RS with electronics and outboard all 2-3 years old. No reported damage, not sure sails but pics show gray fat top carbon look. Waiting for phone call to chat and set up inspection.

I assume it is ok to keep floats folded up in a slip in a protected marina also.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Ok well it is a bit to fishy. Ad is in Birmingham, AL but owner just responded she has in Galveston, TX ready to ship and is using Ebay because they are moving to Edmonton, Canada next week! Al she needs is my shipping address and Ebay will guarantee she is a legitimate seller and I'll have 5 days to inspect and if we don't like can return at sellers cost.

https://bham.craigslist.org/boa/d/corsair-31rs/6730135930.html

Owner calls herself Aby, strange spelling. Anyone want to try and see if you get the same sob story.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Ship? She is going to ship you a 31 ft boat? Did she say how? And at what cost? This woman is trying to hack you or scam you. No legitimate seller I have heard of would “ship” you a boat. I cannot wait to hear the angle!

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Yup first email said she needed my email as responding back by Craigslist wasn't letting her send pics. I foolishly gave my email and got this email back:

Hi again John, I'm Aby, glad to see you are interested in my 2003 Corsair 31RS boat. It has a 2016 Honda 9.9 hp 4 stroke outboard with electric start, VHF Radio, Raymarine T104, Raymarine T221, Raymarine T909, New 2017 Garmin 547 Chartplotter 2016, Simrad TP 20 auto-pilot, Standard Horizon Eclipse VHF radio, Kenwood AM/FM receiver with CD player and waterproof marine speakers, Unisolar smart charge solar charging system and much more.
The boat is in excellent condition inside and out,no mechanical issues. The title is clear. The price is $20,000. I know the price is a bit way under market's value, I have tried to sell it at a higher price but we are in a bit of a rush since my husband got a new job and signed a contract for 3 years in Edmonton, Canada. He is already there and we will leave in a week. We don't have the conditions to keep it there and we've decided to pay a down payment for a house there. If you have any other questions, or need more info, please feel free to ask. Thank you Aby

Last edited:

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
I asked for a phone number to call and talk and location to inspect, thinking in Birmingham is close and got this email:

Hello John, I don't have a phone # right now because I justclosed the contact with the phone company since I'm going to move. As I told you in my first email, I will leave in a week to Edmonton, where my husband got a new job. Because of the short time that I have left and so many things to deal with concerning our departure I have signed a contract with eBay to take care of the selling on my behalf. The boat is already at the shipping company in Galveston, TX sealed and ready for the shipping.The deal includes free delivery and it will arrive at your address in 7-9 days, depending on the exact location. You will have 5 days to try out prior to making any purchase and if by any reason you find something you don't like about it you can send it back at my expense. If you are interested in knowing more info about how it works, I can ask eBay to send you an email with more information on how to purchase it. eBay will contact you shortly after they have the details with all the confirmation that you need to complete this deal and you will also have proof that I am covered by them and a legitimate seller. If you would like to receive the email from eBay with all the transaction information please reply with your full name, shipping address and phone # and they will contact you right away.
Thank you

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Oh my. This IS getting good! Please play the next hand!

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Scam. I sold a boat last year and it was hysterical. Next they ask for a deposit, and that will be the end of the story.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Price was way low on the C-31, walk away. I did note that you were looking at a 272 Le and Catalina 30. What's the wide load permit cost in AL and FL these days? I just towed a 9.5' wide boat through 2 states and it wasn't bad at $74 for the permits including the permit company fees through BoatUS. Some states are really bad, cost $160 to move a Catalina 30 through TX and NM 20 years ago.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
The 272 is a couple of hours away in TN with a trailer while the the C30 is on the TN river also in TN so that would be a sail/cruise on the river for 2 days to my slip.

Agree the 20k was low and ad didn't have a year so originally I thought late 90s model.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Put the pics from the Craigslist ad in a Google image search and see if that "seller" stole those images from someone else.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Put the pics from the Craigslist ad in a Google image search and see if that "seller" stole those images from someone else.
Unfortunately the 2 photos aren't all that unique to get definitive results.
Still no email back from this Aby person.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I believe the Corsair 31 was the result of Ian Farrier’s brief ill-fated association with Corsair. The Corsair folks took his minimalist design bias and decided to up-size it. In fact his larger designs were catamarans. He felt that there was a inflection point for the tri concept where it just didn’t make sense in terms of materials, complexity and speed. Farrier liked fast sailboats. I traded emails with him when he returned home to NZ and again refocused on his design priorities. He was working on the F-22 drawings at the time. A design evolved from everything he had learned from his many boats. At the time I encouraged him and signed up for a kit believing that the boat was perhaps the ultimate manageable day sailor, or capable thin-water expedition boat, capable of engineless exploration. I still do. The F-22 is built for sheltered coastal water sailing/exploring, the bays, sounds, and lakes where few boats go, and the scenery is outstanding. Small is Beautiful.

https://www.f-boat.com/pages/trimarans/F-22.html

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
Last edited:

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Ah that ProutMantus is also on Craigslist on Birmingham too. It was fun to think what if for a bit. Not in a rush to upgrade but always keeping an eye open.